When will we ever have Jimi Hendrix Music in Surround Sound?

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
This would be a gold mine. I'd wait in line to get this. Imagine just how great this would be. On Blu Ray Audio. WOW! Count me in. How many Audioholics want this?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Maybe Experience Hendrix will come up with something.

Seems to me that there was so much panning and phasing involved in his stereo recordings that rear channels via Hafler dynaquad or Dolby Pro Logic would do the trick.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My live hendrix recordings give a great enveloping sound. Don't listen to them much anymore, except the last years with Billy Cox on bass. It was just a great funky sound

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This would be a gold mine. I'd wait in line to get this. Imagine just how great this would be. On Blu Ray Audio. WOW! Count me in. How many Audioholics want this?
As long as Janie is in control and it can't be re-mixed without cost, I would bet never.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Maybe Experience Hendrix will come up with something.

Seems to me that there was so much panning and phasing involved in his stereo recordings that rear channels via Hafler dynaquad or Dolby Pro Logic would do the trick.
I think not. If you have ever listened to Blu Ray Audio discs in surround sound; no way. The best example that comes to mind; Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Listen to the normal version; then listen to the Blu Ray version. If you don't get it, you are either deaf, or dead.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
First, A- hole; you totally missed the point. I was merely saying that you cannot compare Blu Ray Hi Rez to the older analog recordings. The point I made about Tom Petty, simply proves that, you cannot compare the quality of the Tom Petty Blu Ray discs to the original recording. Case in point: The TP release of Damn the Torpedos, is an older release. The job that Ryan Ullyate did in terms off the Surround Sound is nothing short of stellar. I could not believe the difference. Your link to Jimi Hendrix music, I had not seen before. Still, I would have preferred Axis Bold as Love, and others then these. If you appreciate the Hendrix Blu Ray quality, you have to admit the difference is ground breaking.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been to many a rock concert and in my experience, the venues were acoustic nightmares. Why I want to recreate an acoustic nightmare in surround sound is beyond me. I guess I'm just an old fashion fart who loves music presentation in stereo only.

BTW, Jeff, I found no difference in sound quality on Tom Petty's release of Mojo between the vinyl version and its CD equivalent.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
I've been to many a rock concert and in my experience, the venues were acoustic nightmares. Why I want to recreate an acoustic nightmare in surround sound is beyond me. I guess I'm just an old fashion fart who loves music presentation in stereo only.

BTW, Jeff, I found no difference in sound quality on Tom Petty's release of Mojo between the vinyl version and its CD equivalent.
Hey, 3db: Well, You are certainly entitled to your opinion. On the other hand, I am a surround sound nut. Don't get me wrong, I was a vinyl guy many years ago. I also, to this day, love my Laser Disc Players & LD Collection. I've got 2 really nice Pioneer units (You can see them in my HT post at the bottom of my page.

You mentioned the Tom Petty Mojo Blu Ray. Frankly, I couldn't disagree with you more. I would hope you went & heard this disc in full blown Blu Ray Audio. Ryan Ullayte, the surround sound Engineer. The liner notes would really open your eyes. He talks about how he did it, and why he spread out the various instruments as well as he does it. One example: In terms of the Leslie Cabinet that they used was done phenominally. The sound out of the Leslie throws the sound out & depending on how you use it, you literally feel that sound start in the middle and throws it out past you. Amazing. I find it helpul to me when I listen to it on my 10.2 System. I like to listen to the original release first, so that I can appreciate the difference for my self. I almost always listen with my eyes closed, which helps me to experience & appreciate the details of what I am listening to. Friends I invite over, from time to time, seems to blow people away. They may not be SS affectunatos when they arrive, but once they experience it, they are foaming at the mouth. Hearing the overhead channels also is a completely different experience. I you go to another thread for Surround Sound, you can see my collection of SS discs. I don't think that you can appreciate this without hearing it for yourself. You might change your tune.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You mentioned the Tom Petty Mojo Blu Ray. Frankly, I couldn't disagree with you more. I would hope you went & heard this disc in full blown Blu Ray Audio. Ryan Ullayte, the surround sound Engineer. The liner notes would really open your eyes. He talks about how he did it, and why he spread out the various instruments as well as he does it. One example: In terms of the Leslie Cabinet that they used was done phenominally. The sound out of the Leslie throws the sound out & depending on how you use it, you literally feel that sound start in the middle and throws it out past you. Amazing. I find it helpul to me when I listen to it on my 10.2 System. I like to listen to the original release first, so that I can appreciate the difference for my self. I almost always listen with my eyes closed, which helps me to experience & appreciate the details of what I am listening to. Friends I invite over, from time to time, seems to blow people away. They may not be SS affectunatos when they arrive, but once they experience it, they are foaming at the mouth. Hearing the overhead channels also is a completely different experience. I you go to another thread for Surround Sound, you can see my collection of SS discs. I don't think that you can appreciate this without hearing it for yourself. You might change your tune.
You're missing my point. When listening to a band live, you get hit with a wall of sound in front of you and if the acoustic venue is crap, reverb and a mess all round you interfering with the direct sound coming towards you. Do you really want to capture that mess in multi channel music?

Now on to Tom Petty's Mojo. That's an artificial sound field. I've never been to an event where the audience is located in the middle of the band. So as amazing as it may sound, its a simply a gimmick to me and it does absolutely nothing for me. I guess I have a harder time using my imagination when listening to music compared that to home theater.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless the recording was in surround or a matrix, I wouldnt want any engineer wasting time to remix it, I'd assume let and a logarithm handle it.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
You're missing my point. When listening to a band live, you get hit with a wall of sound in front of you and if the acoustic venue is crap, reverb and a mess all round you interfering with the direct sound coming towards you. Do you really want to capture that mess in multi channel music?

Now on to Tom Petty's Mojo. That's an artificial sound field. I've never been to an event where the audience is located in the middle of the band. So as amazing as it may sound, its a simply a gimmick to me and it does absolutely nothing for me. I guess I have a harder time using my imagination when listening to music compared that to home theater.
It's apparent that we just disagree (also a great song by Dave Mason from Traffic days). Neither one of us are right or wrong. It's apparent to me that, I doubt that you have ever seriously heard any of these Blu Ray Audio Discs on a really great surround system. I think that if you could do that, you might just understand. To you, Surround Sound, is just a mumbeled mess. Not with this technology. Just look at my thread here under Surround Music, and look at my collection of SACD, DVD Audio, & Blu Ray collection. I don't think you are giving it s fair chance. Personnaly, knowint the difference, I wouldn't live without it. But, I respect your opinion.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
It's apparent that we just disagree (also a great song by Dave Mason from Traffic days). Neither one of us are right or wrong. It's apparent to me that, I doubt that you have ever seriously heard any of these Blu Ray Audio Discs on a really great surround system. I think that if you could do that, you might just understand. To you, Surround Sound, is just a mumbeled mess. Not with this technology. Just look at my thread here under Surround Music, and look at my collection of SACD, DVD Audio, & Blu Ray collection. I don't think you are giving it s fair chance. Personnaly, knowint the difference, I wouldn't live without it. But, I respect your opinion.
Your still missing my point in that no one is seated in the middle of a band when listening to a live venue. There for, it's artificial. I don't like artificial when listening to music.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've got the Mojo Blu-ray, can't say that it moved me. The surround sound just did not make up for the less than stellar performance and material. Not a big fan. I purchased the album to see what Blu-ray multi-channel sound was all about. I've not purchased any more, being quite disappointed in the Tom Petty piece. I still believe multi-channel SACD is the way to go. The OPPO players will output multi-channel SACD through HDMI or 5.1 analog, and I'm going to buy the UDP-205 when it's released. It appears with such a universal player, I'll be set no mater what direction multi-channel may go. I just hope it does not go away. Many multi-channel performances I've heard just sound so much better than stereo of same material. One dramatic instance of such can be understood listening to the stereo version of Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On and then the multi-channel version of same from the Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Your still missing my point in that no one is seated in the middle of a band when listening to a live venue. There for, it's artificial. I don't like artificial when listening to music.
I just read the thread from the beginning. Like many threads, this one took a turn and its gotten wobbly.
I get what you're saying 3db. Concert venues, and therefore the live music recordings we might listen to at home from such places, have a certain sound to them. If we are truly re-creating in our homes the live recording as it was played by the musicians, its going to have limitations and have a certain sound. If we take and alter that sound using the wizardry of post production to make it surround sound, or immersive sound, or whatever the latest multi-channel fad might be, do we make the music more lifelike or just different?

If one is a fan of multi-channel stuff, as is the case with Mr Albaugh, he may think its a great thing and enjoy the heck out of it. If one likes it served like it was played, maybe not so much enjoyment with the multichannel versions.

I see this phenomenon with zz Top live recordings. I'm a big zz Top fan. zz Top is an example of "a wall of sound" type band. They don't do multi-channel effects, or, basically any effects. They just blast a solid wall at you. Its a bit aggravating to recreate in the home because it tends to come off "flat". No imaging I think would be how audiophools would say it. But if you've ever been to a zz Top concert, that's exactly how it sounds. So at home, I don't mind a bit really that I get the same flat wall of sound reproduction. If somebody jazzed it up and made it "multichannel sound of the week", I don't think it would be zz Top anymore.

That's just me however. Just an opinion as well. YMMV and if one loves the multi-channel for music, that's what they make all the stuff for so go forth and play it with gusto.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis