When will we ever have Jimi Hendrix Music in Surround Sound?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This guy is never coming back (good riddance), so this thread needs to die a horrible death too. Since it is ENTIRELY personal preference, each person can decide for themselves how they want to listen. Not to mention the issue with multichannel entirely comes down to the engineer and the source. Give it to 5 different engineers and you'll get 5 different results, for the same reason as what each person's listening preference is. I own plenty of excellent multichannel discs, and some that the 2ch is better, so there is no one answer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This guy is never coming back (good riddance), so this thread needs to die a horrible death too. Since it is ENTIRELY personal preference, each person can decide for themselves how they want to listen. Not to mention the issue with multichannel entirely comes down to the engineer and the source. Give it to 5 different engineers and you'll get 5 different results, for the same reason as what each person's listening preference is. I own plenty of excellent multichannel discs, and some that the 2ch is better, so there is no one answer.
Agreed.(don't have check marks and like it buttons in Tapatalk. Dumb) even all the magic in 2ch SS&i is the engineers. Music is not always recorded as an entire band, but each instrument separately. So all the placement and depth is just studio magic.
I will however miss Mr albaugh telling is all how we don't know how to listen, and don't know what we're missing unless we listen to HIS collection on HiS super mega awesome rig. A collection to rival any, for certain. Just like his ego... DIKK
I'm going to go listen to kids bop 97 on my 40,000 watt htib from wal mart.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMO Surround-Sound is for slam-bam-action flicks. Most music is best served by a great front presence sound stage.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I just read the thread from the beginning. Like many threads, this one took a turn and its gotten wobbly.
I get what you're saying 3db. Concert venues, and therefore the live music recordings we might listen to at home from such places, have a certain sound to them. If we are truly re-creating in our homes the live recording as it was played by the musicians, its going to have limitations and have a certain sound. If we take and alter that sound using the wizardry of post production to make it surround sound, or immersive sound, or whatever the latest multi-channel fad might be, do we make the music more lifelike or just different?

If one is a fan of multi-channel stuff, as is the case with Mr Albaugh, he may think its a great thing and enjoy the heck out of it. If one likes it served like it was played, maybe not so much enjoyment with the multichannel versions.

I see this phenomenon with zz Top live recordings. I'm a big zz Top fan. zz Top is an example of "a wall of sound" type band. They don't do multi-channel effects, or, basically any effects. They just blast a solid wall at you. Its a bit aggravating to recreate in the home because it tends to come off "flat". No imaging I think would be how audiophools would say it. But if you've ever been to a zz Top concert, that's exactly how it sounds. So at home, I don't mind a bit really that I get the same flat wall of sound reproduction. If somebody jazzed it up and made it "multichannel sound of the week", I don't think it would be zz Top anymore.

That's just me however. Just an opinion as well. YMMV and if one loves the multi-channel for music, that's what they make all the stuff for so go forth and play it with gusto.
You and I see this the same way I think. In my response to Mr Aulbach, I kept referring to my preferences and why for me, multichannel sound in music sounds gimmicky. However, he tried very hard to convince me that my setup was the issue for the reason for not liking multichannel sound and I called him on it. Aulbcah likes that sound and thats fine with me. Differences in preferences is what people like is what makes this place a more interesting place. :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Multi-channel does not always imply surround sound. Some of my multi-channel SACD is 3 channel, mostly classical recordings. It's not about a surround sound feel at all.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have found that the best discs often don't over-gimmick it. Others use a LOT of surround but place it well to compliment the music and make for a great experience. One of the most impressive discs I have is Dave Brubeck Concord on a Summer Night Live. It sounds like you are there at the Pavilion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis