What's the best receiver with 4k & audyssey capabilities for $1000 or less?

B

Biginnit

Enthusiast
So as the title says "What's the best receiver with 4k & audessy capabilities for $1000 or less?" & how important is having the new 4k video capability for someone who is spending that much money and doesn't want it to become redundant in 5 years? Also is a receiver with calibration other than Audessy just as good & if so what could you recommend ?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
So as the title says "What's the best receiver with 4k & audessy capabilities for $1000 or less?" & how important is having the new 4k video capability for someone who is spending that much money and doesn't want it to become redundant in 5 years? Also is a receiver with calibration other than Audessy just as good & if so what could you recommend ?
Not sure any out there yet but on time. The question to ask is when will a TV display be capable of displaying 4k resolution, when will movies be released to consumers in that 4k resolution and when will discs be available to consumers.

I would think it will be a long time.
Oh, yes, will you be able to see that resolution on a TV set and normal viewing distances?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
UNICORN! AFAIK, they do not exist yet. There are essentially no 4K displays on the market and receivers with the matching technology usually follow a year after that tech comes out, so I would stay go with something current or wait. I personally don't feel 4K will be the direction the industry goes. Since all the manufacturers are still sort of in a wait and see pattern, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

BTW, not unlike computers, some of the features will ALWAYS be obsolete within 5 years on a receiver. The standard audio functions pretty much don't change though, so focus on audio over features and you should be fine. My receiver is around 10yrs old and it still works with current technology - there's almost always more than one way to get things to work.

B

Biginnit

Enthusiast
Cool thanks! If it doesn't have it I'm thinking of either the denon 3313ci or the marantz 6006. Which one is better? Also what would the next best receiver down from these would be , for movies & music??

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
You might want to consider the Onkyo 818.
Tons of features great audio,great video upscaling.
They may have finally got one right.
They replaced my 807 barbecue grill with the 818.
Good luck.

H

Hornet77

Audiophyte
Denon Receiver

When looking at 4k receivers, the one thing you have to understand is that there is NO 4K content that is available on blu ray (yet), we may not see this for a couple more years is because the Olympics are going to record certain games in 4k and then use the material for manufactures to use on there equipment. Alot of the movies right now that come out on IMAX are now recodring in 4K transfer so it is there, its implimenting it onto a disc so we are getting there. Projectors right now do support the 4K transfer but again there is no source or content that will display it right now in the consumer market. So to answer your question, for your price point under $1000 I would look at the new Denon AVR2313 or if you want a more stable current receiver you can step up into the AVR3313 which you will have bigger power supplies and transformers plus have a better capability to handle a 4 ohm if you are going to user high current speakers. As for the Audyssey, it has been out longer than any other calibration microphone out there in the industry, in fact McIntosh uses the same high end Audyssey microphones as if you were buying the top end Denon unit. The more control you have on your mic setup, the better the response on your speakers. If you have more questions, let me know. I sell Denon as a starting point for receivers, but we do more amps and pre amps so but if u you have questions Id be more than happy to answer them.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say your best bet is the Denon 3313, but wait for the price to go down - if you can. Realize that in about 6 months, you can probably get one for $600.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
You might want to consider the Onkyo 818.
Tons of features great audio,great video upscaling.
They may have finally got one right.
They replaced my 807 barbecue grill with the 818.
Good luck.
+1

Just ordered the new 818. By far the best bang for the buck receiver IMO. Audyssey EQ XT 32, dual core video upconverter, 7.2 with option to go 9.2.

The Onkyo 1009 is another good option in the $800 range although lacks the Audyssey EQ XT32.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
+1

Just ordered the new 818. By far the best bang for the buck receiver IMO. Audyssey EQ XT 32, dual core video upconverter, 7.2 with option to go 9.2.

The Onkyo 1009 is another good option in the $800 range although lacks the Audyssey EQ XT32.[/QUOTEOne piece of advice,Onkyo has put out a few firmware upgrades that don't seem to work right.
If your unit runs right out of the box I wouldn't upgrade until Onkyo gets the firmware right.
My unit purred right out the box so I'm holding off on the firmware upgrade till their engineers get it right.
Maybe by that time they will have added airplay!
Good luck with your man toy,enjoy.

T

Ttopper

Audiophyte
I take it the Audyssey XT32 well worth the cost ?

Is Denon a better choice even if it is the older 4311ci versus a new Onkyo 818 or the 3 new top Onkyo units just released? Is Onkyo heat issues are vastly overstated correct?

B

Biginnit

Enthusiast
Such great info guys, thanks! I'm sure this will help a lot of people! I ended up getting the Denon 3312 from future shop for $1000. It was an open box item & had some scratches so they took 10% off so it was $810 b4 tax. Then I got 5 years warrenty for $110 & I don't have to pay for 6 months.... Future shop is going to start selling Marantz this month, I'll see what they get in and consider taking mine back and exchanging it. Maybe if they get the new 6007 in !

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Such great info guys, thanks! I'm sure this will help a lot of people! I ended up getting the Denon 3312 from future shop for $1000. It was an open box item & had some scratches so they took 10% off so it was $810 b4 tax. Then I got 5 years warrenty for $110 & I don't have to pay for 6 months.... Future shop is going to start selling Marantz this month, I'll see what they get in and consider taking mine back and exchanging it. Maybe if they get the new 6007 in !
What? Do you mean the 3313?

The 3312 brand new is $671 delivered on Amazon. Electronics Expo can probably sell for $550 delivered, which was the sale price on Amazon 2 weeks ago.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I take it the Audyssey XT32 well worth the cost ?

Is Denon a better choice even if it is the older 4311ci versus a new Onkyo 818 or the 3 new top Onkyo units just released? Is Onkyo heat issues are vastly overstated correct?
Even though I don't care for Audyssey, I would take the 4311 any day over the Onkyo, especially when you can get the 4311 brand new from Electronics Expo for $1225 delivered.

But I would take the 3312 if they can sell for $550 (was on Amazon 2 weeks ago).

T

twister123

Enthusiast
I just got a Denon 3312 from future shop for 900 taxes in, also an open box but it didnt have any scratches and looked as if it was never even used, the batteries were still packed.

B

Biginnit

Enthusiast
I'm up in Canada so we don't get electronics as cheap as you guys in the U.S. even if I order it from a U.S site I'll still get stuck paying $200ish on shipping & if there's ever something wrong with it I'm ****ed! I'd rather pay more from a local store like future shop so I can buy the 5 year warranty for $110.

B

Biginnit

Enthusiast
P.S -the 3312 I bought is ****ed, it keeps shutting off & on over & over & over again! I'm taking it back. Future shop is displaying the Marantz 6007 online for $1299. They just don't have them in stock yet. I'll wait for that or the 3313.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis