What to do about a Preamp???

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Ok Guys, I need some advice and direction.

I am starting to build a new Hi Fi system for my listening room and I need some help on which preamp to look at. I would like something simple but sounds good. Also, i will be listening to CD, SACD, and even Phono inputs. I would gather at sometime soon I would be adding a digital source from a computer and or a dock for my kid's iPods. I have even considered using a digital interface unit but I am just not sure which way to turn here....

Any insight and wisdom would be great!

Gordon

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You didn't mention a budget, but one alternative is the Emotiva USP-1. It has the phono support you need, but doesn't support digital inputs. Fortunately there are many separate alternatives in every price range imaginable for DACs that can plug into the USP-1. The Emotiva is also cool because it includes bass management.

I have an Emotiva CD player, and the sound is great, but some of the parts choices reflect it's low price range. If these minor "refinement" issues don't bother you the Emotiva might be a good choice. As you move up-market the sound quality probably won't change, but refinement and flexibility definitely will.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
On the pricing, I wanted to keep it open to some suggestions. I don't think I would go above $2,000 for just the preamp portion. I did look at the Emotiva and I liked what i saw but i was also curious to what else was out there that people may recommend...

Thank you for the insight!

Gordon

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
On the pricing, I wanted to keep it open to some suggestions. I don't think I would go above $2,000 for just the preamp portion. I did look at the Emotiva and I liked what i saw but i was also curious to what else was out there that people may recommend...

Thank you for the insight!

Gordon
Have you thought of integrated amplifiers or do you plan on separate pre's and amps. there are many fine products out there in your budget, to name a few Parasound Classic 2100, Parasound Halo P3, Nad C-165, these are preamps only with phono inputs, in your price range there are also many good integrated amps with both MM and MC phono inputs, again Nad, Cambridge Audio and many others. Google preamps and integrated and check them out and post your thoughts here.
Jeff

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis