What Should I Do With a Fisher Audio System & It's Associated Speakers?

PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
I've inherited a Fisher MC708 Audio Component System from a friend of a friend who is moving to another state and didn't want it for whatever reason and was going to throw it out on the curb. I managed to get it for free (Which was pretty cool),although they seemed happy to get rid of it.

I'm looking to set up speakers for my TV in my room and am wondering whether or not I should get another amplifier (Such as a Pyle PFA300 Amplifier (On Amazon)) or not. I'm also looking for audio amplifier recommendation for under $30 (Preferably on Amazon) if using the component box isn't possible.

I performed some testing tonight to make sure that all the components work, and almost all of them do. The only thing which doesn't function is the "Record" feature of the cassette player. The button appears to be non functional, although I don't plan on using this feature, as I almost never play cassettes now that there are higher bitrate digital formats. The component box is nice and has a few features such as dynamic EQ whith sliders and independent speaker volume control. The audio can be modestly quiet to deafening loud (It starts to crackle at the higher sounds as is expected with such high amplification),so at least the sound seems to be in order.

The speakers appear actually larger on camera than in person. I think they're about 2/3 of a meter high. Here is a picture with a 12" rules in the picture.
2018-06-23 19.34.23.jpg

They appear to contain a subwoofer on the bottom and a tweeter at the top. I can't identify the middle speaker (Midrange Speaker?).

The real issue for me is that I want to use these speakers with a TV. The TV has audio output in L/R or TOSLINK optical format. As far as I know, I need an amplifier to drive the speakers and can't just throw the L/R cables into the TV jacks (Although I admit my ignorance in this regard).

If I'm going to keep the component system box (Picture below) to use as an amplifier, how would I route the TV output audio to the input of the box? The box itself doesn't contain any audio input jacks that I can detect aside for what appears to be a microphone input (Labelled Mic on the display) (I'm not sure what port type it is, it appears to be RCA, but I'm not sure, and I didn't get the manual that shipped with it when they bought it)
2018-06-23 19.23.12.jpg

Mic Port:

2018-06-23 19.25.24.jpg

Edit 0: To be clear, the reason why I was thinking of using the box as an amplifier for the TV is because there might be a chance I can use the Mic jack as an audio input. Although, that would seem to ignore the L/R divide, and just simply split the audio stream into two equal halves, thus losing the speaker parity.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
With no audio inputs, the stock Fisher “system box” won’t be of any use to you. Go ahead and get the Pyle or something similar.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
PhysicistSarah

PhysicistSarah

Audiophyte
Do you think that the Pyle would be a good amplifier to get for around $30? I did some fast research on amplifier types, and there appears to be a consensus that type T is better than type D because type T builds on D.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH. :)

Is your monike an actual indication of a physicist and female? :)

Are you just trying to use these speakers instead of the TV speakers?
That Fisher is very old. From the picture I don't see that you could have an audio input except a record player and a mic.
Not familiar with Pyle but you would need at least an analog stereo input. The optical would need a preamp to process digital audio.

If you want other sources connected you'd need at least an integrated amp to decode digital.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Unless you have a blank cassette in the player, the record button will not likely work. There is an interlock built into the top of a cassette to prevent accidental recording...

Would not worry much about the class of amplification at $30. The Pyle does not get very good reviews. Here is a Dayton for $40 that appears to do much better: https://smile.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-1-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B001PNOH2I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529869579&sr=1-3&keywords=dayton+amplifier

Ww

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis