what reciever would you buy????

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Thanks for the help guy's. I did find that you can set the curve to Front, Flat or Audysey so you guy's got it right. I found Audysey sounds best to me but I will try flat tommorrow with some music in dts. I don't think that front is a good idea because it just doesn't eq the front speakers at all. I really like the results so far and I am beginning to think that Audysey easily does a better job then Mcacc :).

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
One thing that I came across that I once knew, and forgot about, is that I believe if you want to apply Audyssey to lossless codecs, you need the player to send as mch PCM. I think this may have to do with lack of processing power (can't decode and do Audyssey at the same time). Lemme know if things have changed.
What are you saying here?

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I am pretty sure he is talking about how some recievers with Audysey cannot apply the eq to HD audio such as True HD because it takes to much processing power so if you want audysey to eq your HD audio you have to send it already decoded or PCM from the blu ray player to the reciever so then the reciever can apply the room correction without having to decode the audio. I have to do the same with my Marantz sr5004 but I believe the new SR6005 and SR7005 can decode and eq if you bitstream from the player to the reciever.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am pretty sure he is talking about how some recievers with Audysey cannot apply the eq to HD audio such as True HD because it takes to much processing power so if you want audysey to eq your HD audio you have to send it already decoded or PCM from the blu ray player to the reciever so then the reciever can apply the room correction without having to decode the audio. I have to do the same with my Marantz sr5004 but I believe the new SR6005 and SR7005 can decode and eq if you bitstream from the player to the reciever.
Hummm, I don't think I have that issue.

S

Superfly

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the help guy's. I did find that you can set the curve to Front, Flat or Audysey so you guy's got it right. I found Audysey sounds best to me but I will try flat tommorrow with some music in dts. I don't think that front is a good idea because it just doesn't eq the front speakers at all. I really like the results so far and I am beginning to think that Audysey easily does a better job then Mcacc :).
What things are you noticeing more. Comming from mcacc to audysey? Is it the bass ? Thanks

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
What things are you noticeing more. Comming from mcacc to audysey? Is it the bass ? Thanks
Well My first impression was more presence then anything and I think that might have something to do with Audysey doing a better job on the mids then Mcacc did. Some people might call it a fuller sound and it absolutley did a better job in the other seats because they all sound pretty much identical, which is great. I don't have my sub running with it now but my mains have a 12" driver in each and it brings out the bass very nicely. It sounds clean and precise. I have the fronts as large so all the bass goes to them and I really like the sound. I will have to re-do the calibration when I get my sub up and running again so I will let you know then how it sounds. So far I really am happy with the result.:)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hummm, I don't think I have that issue.
Only Marantz has had that issue, AFAIK, historically. I think* I remember that this lack of processing power also may have not allowed matrixing for rears when either decoding or Audyssey or something like that, can't recall, but these are additional reasons why I tend to look elsewhere from Marantz (though typically at additional cost). The kicker for me is that I want the latest 'n greatest from Audyssey, but they've always been a generation behind. When we have XT, they only have MultEq. When they finally do get XT, for us XT32 is right around the corner.

No one's perfect though, not even Denon (but they are among the best). The thing that bothers me most about Onkyo is that I cannot permanently defeat autoflagged DRC with bitstreamed TrueHD. I mean, it really does bug me. I could just send it as mch PCM, but hey it's just me.

Well My first impression was more presence then anything and I think that might have something to do with Audysey doing a better job on the mids then Mcacc did. Some people might call it a fuller sound and it absolutley did a better job in the other seats because they all sound pretty much identical, which is great. I don't have my sub running with it now but my mains have a 12" driver in each and it brings out the bass very nicely. It sounds clean and precise. I have the fronts as large so all the bass goes to them and I really like the sound. I will have to re-do the calibration when I get my sub up and running again so I will let you know then how it sounds. So far I really am happy with the result.:)
Cool man. You did remember to tell the receiver that sub is OFF or whatever the correct setting says? That way you are assured to get the LFE signal in full directed to your mains (though at a fraction of the levels to protect receiver+speakers).

What was the spike in our DIY Danleys again? Centered at 54hz was it? Seems that some Danley owners think they get better results by somehow "manually" reducing that spike, and then running Audyssey. In fact, it seems people do just about everything before Audyssey, except for things that allow tweaks for personal preference, post-calibration. Cheers.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Correct, it is 54hz where the spike is. I did remember. I just selected "no" when asked about a sub so I was good to go. My B+W's go low so Audyssey did a great job. But about the not eq'ing HD audio it really doesn't matter if you let the player do the decoding. So for me not seeing the "true hd" light on the reciever isn't an issue.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
OK, I did a re-cal and did all six positions. The problem is that after I was finished I checked levels with my meter and most of them were different?? Only the two back surrounds were at 75db. All the rest were different by up to 8db. Anyone have this happen to them? I will redo the test but it seemed to go thru the tests fine.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
OK, I did a re-cal and did all six positions. The problem is that after I was finished I checked levels with my meter and most of them were different?? Only the two back surrounds were at 75db. All the rest were different by up to 8db. Anyone have this happen to them? I will redo the test but it seemed to go thru the tests fine.
I honestly can't remember what differences I have received with the few/several cals I have done, but yes there can be significant level differences depending on mic placement and varying distances. Surrounds are usually a lot closer to the listener.

I think* I remember that Audyssey set my sub about 13.5 db lower than most/all of the speakers. I added shelving down low with my Crown using bandmanager.

Believe it or not, your Audyssey mic will be more accurate than a RS meter, particularly for the bass, so far as I know.

However, most of us still tinker with the calibration after it's done. You can readjust trims however you want.

I can't exactly recall the distance issue with the Danley, since it's a horn, and I think there isn't enough leeway for some people to get that right. I think mine came out fine enough, but it surprised someone or other. Maybe something is going on, or a phase thingy or something.

Otherwise, Audyssey is accurate. It will nail your distance within a smaller margin that 0.1 ft I believe it was (but Chris won't reveal the exact number). The reason some neophytes think Audyssey is so off is because they don't realize that distance measurement has to account for electrical distance, besides physical distance; things like filters, DSP, etc, built into the subs themselves.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
It did nail the distances exactly. I believe you had to add about 12' to the distance for the Danley but my amp for the Danley is at the shop so I won't know what Audysey does with it till I get it back.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis