what reciever would you buy????

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
That's something I have been curious about myself, since I haven't had the pleasure to compare the two myself and my only experience with room correction has been Audyssey thus far.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well I know that Audyssey does more then Mcacc especially in the lower freq's but I have the anti-mode 8033 that handles my sub. It should be interesting to see if it make a real noticable difference.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Probably Denon and I own Yamaha
I echo this statement. Since I bought my yammy, I have been doing lots of reading still, and will most likely get a Denon next time (not that I don't like my yammy, the Denon just has more flexibility)...

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well I did a quick hookup with the Marantz and did some 2 channel listening this morning and I will say it sounded pretty good. I listened to some classic rock and some southern rock and some of Dark side of the moon and I noticed that my B+W's Like power. Although I got 95db spl at the LP with the reciever set at 0db it was definitley struggling to push the B+W's. I know it is 90w compared to 300w but I find that my Crown amps sound so much better with them. The Crown really brings out the best in my 801's and do it effortlessly making it sound fuller and with definitley more bottom. The reciever is working beautifully and the tuner is pulling in stations very well from the antenna. I love the remote. Easy to operate with allot of control over the sound with treble and bass settings right on there and a button on the side to turn on the back light so you can see the buttons in the dark. I will hook up all the speakers today sometime and get going with Audyssey.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I will hook up all the speakers today sometime and get going with Audyssey.
Are you going to run Audyssey with AnitMode's calibration in-line, or not, or are you going to use the AntiMode after Audyssey?

If it was me, I'd leave the AntiMode on, then run Audyssey. Then I'd use the Lift settings when I felt like it for personal preference.

Do not leave the Lift settings on before Audyssey cal.

EDIT: The following few types of items are a good investment, IMO, to help you run better Audyssey cals.

Last edited:
T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well since right now I don't have an amp for my Danley I am going to run it without a sub. My 801's have 12'' drivers in each of them so they go pretty low. I have a camera stand for the mic so I am all set there. I just this minute got all speakers back connected and I set them all to Reference. I cant do the set up tonight because with everyone home it is to noisy. I will be alone tommorow here for a few hours so I will do it then. I will probably run Audysey with and without the antimode to see which is best.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
cant pk adobe says win 64 doesnt work

nite

dissmatle my teame

nite :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am curious as to how much of a difference I will hear going from Mcacc to Audyessy........:cool:
I would say the difference is huge. Nothing is as robust as Audyessy. Go to AVS and under "AVRs" is an Audyessy section that has so much detail it will make you sick. The Audyessy Rep-Chris- is very active there and will answer all your questions.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I would say the difference is huge. Nothing is as robust as Audyessy. Go to AVS and under "AVRs" is an Audyessy section that has so much detail it will make you sick. The Audyessy Rep-Chris- is very active there and will answer all your questions.
I hope so. I have seen the thread at AVS and with over 30 thousand posts it must cover everything and then some. I will check it out again to get some tips.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well the first room correction without sub is done. I will say that I am surprised that all you get it some loud chirps for test sounds because with my Pioneer it had three or four different sounds to do the room correction. It sounds good though but I will have to do more listening with movies and music to actually form an opinion as to it doing a better job then Mcacc. Now to some Neil Young for some 2 channel testing....:cool::)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well the first room correction without sub is done. I will say that I am surprised that all you get it some loud chirps for test sounds because with my Pioneer it had three or four different sounds to do the room correction. It sounds good though but I will have to do more listening with movies and music to actually form an opinion as to it doing a better job then Mcacc. Now to some Neil Young for some 2 channel testing....:cool::)
Well, these chirps are actually sweeps. They are quick though. For mine, I believe it's 10x per speaker, per mic placement (eight). So, for each speaker it's measuring 80 sweeps.

Oh yeah, see if there is a setting somewhere to choose target curves (I'd like to think Marantz would have at least two like all companies with Audyssey MultEQ or better). Depending on the curve you choose, it could affect your subjective opinion.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd buy a Teac AG-H550, but then again, it's certainly not appropriate for this application.

Teac SHOULD re-animate their surround sound receiver line with HDMI. Think of how perfect it would be to have a compact receiver that was focused on aesthetics and HDMI functionality. WHY ISN'T ANYONE DOING THIS?:confused:

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well, these chirps are actually sweeps. They are quick though. For mine, I believe it's 10x per speaker, per mic placement (eight). So, for each speaker it's measuring 80 sweeps.

Oh yeah, see if there is a setting somewhere to choose target curves (I'd like to think Marantz would have at least two like all companies with Audyssey MultEQ or better). Depending on the curve you choose, it could affect your subjective opinion.
Well since I only have 4 seats in a one row configuration I only did 3 positions. I did the middle seat and then the outside of the seats on each side. I didn't set a target curve so I will have to get to know the Marantz better so I will learn everything that I can do with it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well since I only have 4 seats in a one row configuration I only did 3 positions. I did the middle seat and then the outside of the seats on each side. I didn't set a target curve so I will have to get to know the Marantz better so I will learn everything that I can do with it.
You always want to use the max number of measurements, so that Audyssey has the most snapshots or pictures of the room for the best cal it is capable of. Even if I had only one seat, Id do my 8, some people would recommend something like position, front, pos, back, pos, right, pos, left.

For yours, I think prolly 6, so once each for extreme seats, then one for each ear in middle seats. ;)

I will likely have time in the late afternoon to look around threads for possible choices/settings on your Marantz for target curves, but lemme know if/when you find them yourself so as I won't unnecessarily spend the time . . .

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I appreciate it. I am going to try and get to it in a couple of hours after dinner so I will post at about 7 or 8 tonight and let you know what I find. Thanks..:cool:

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how to set a target curve with my 5004. It might not be available manually.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe I am missing something but I don't see how to set a target curve with my 5004. It might not be available manually.
Yeah, I can't find anything either! One thing that I came across that I once knew, and forgot about, is that I believe if you want to apply Audyssey to lossless codecs, you need the player to send as mch PCM. I think this may have to do with lack of processing power (can't decode and do Audyssey at the same time). Lemme know if things have changed.

My guess is that when Audyssey is applied on your receiver, that it is defaulted to the House curve. TBH, I like the house curve, and haven't disabled it in a long time. But, this is not my stereo rig either.

Wait, ok I did find someone saying that you DO have curves available. There's the ubiquitous House curve, but also the Front curve, as well as flat. Hmmm.

Try sending a PM to this guy, it is the only search hit I have found so far when using search functions and google. Your thread here is the second google hit. :rolleyes:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17187762&postcount=25

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
There is one for the User EQ if you check on page 38 and on page 39 it tells you how to adjust the User EQ also on page 39 it also shows you how to check the Augyssey MultEq

Hope this is what your looking for TC.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
There is one for the User EQ if you check on page 38 and on page 39 it tells you how to adjust the User EQ also on page 39 it also shows you how to check the Augyssey MultEq

Hope this is what your looking for TC.
That's it! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis