What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Wow. That is a serious piece of gear and should be an endgame item like your integrated. Such an amazing setup. Thanks for sharing the progress.
Indeed it is! I couldn't believe how it blew away the Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ phono amp for performance and especially convenience. Both this EQ-500 and the L-509X I got last week are very much my end-game pieces. Iwanted to get them because I'm approaching retirement age and do want to get all of this while I'm still working. There's one more piece coming, and perhaps one more next year. Next week, probably Thursday, a used Luxman DA-06 dac will show up. I found a no-box bargain on a USA voltage one on eBay.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Indeed it is! I couldn't believe how it blew away the Musical Surroundings Phenomena II+ phono amp for performance and especially convenience. Both this EQ-500 and the L-509X I got last week are very much my end-game pieces. Iwanted to get them because I'm approaching retirement age and do want to get all of this while I'm still working. There's one more piece coming, and perhaps one more next year. Next week, probably Thursday, a used Luxman DA-06 dac will show up. I found a no-box bargain on a USA voltage one on eBay.
Ha. I think I saw that one day while looking around. My next item will be an Eversound DMP-6. Then I can have a superb roon endpoint and DAC in one box. What are you using to stream to your Gustard now?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Ha. I think I saw that one day while looking around. My next item will be an Eversound DMP-6. Then I can have a superb roon endpoint and DAC in one box. What are you using to stream to your Gustard now?
The black box on the lower left... Bluesound Vault 2. Next year I want the new Luxman NT-07 streamer!

Matt34

Matt34

Look like next to Revel 105 or 106. If so please share how they compare in your system.
My quick, hour 1 impressions with familiar songs.

Smilk- Last Rainforest: sound stage is wider and imaging felt more precise, I would need to listen to the Revels again.

Fink- Trouble's what you're in: Bass line is much more satisfying compared to the M106.

Bjork- Hollow (16 bit remix): you still need subs for the first 1 min of this, but still impressive for a bookshelf.

There is more detail and energy in the treble but not in any offensive way I've noticed so far. The bass improvement is easy, I'll need more time to flesh out the midrange differences.

Ran them in pure direct mode off my Denon 3800h to an Emotiva BasX 3, source is tidal through a Wiim Pro Plus.

Edit: Audyessy sets the LX as full range and the M106 at 40hz. Going to try the LX's at 60hz and try that out for now.

Last edited:
Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
My quick, hour 1 impressions with familiar songs.

Smilk- Last Rainforest: sound stage is wider and imaging felt more precise, I would need to listen to the Revels again.

Fink- Trouble's what you're in: Bass line is much more satisfying compared to the M106.

Bjork- Hollow (16 bit remix): you still need subs for the first 1 min of this, but still impressive for a bookshelf.

There is more detail and energy in the treble but not in any offensive way I've noticed so far. The bass improvement is easy, I'll need more time to flesh out the midrange differences.

Ran them in pure direct mode off my Denon 3800h to an Emotiva BasX 3, source is tidal through a Wiim Pro Plus.

Edit: Audyessy sets the LX as full range and the M106 at 40hz. Going to try the LX's at 60hz and try that out for now.
Impressive if you like them better than the Revels. They look like the Sierra-1 V2 that Erin’s Audio Corner gave a very positive review. Like that they are all US except the component build. Ascend look like winners.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I've been trying to find a better way to sample bands that I don't know much about. Youtube is a good source for finding music from different bands. But I didn't have a way to play it tough the good stereo because my laptop only connects to my preamp via BluOS, Airplay or Bluetooth. So I just ordered a 25 foot 3.5mm to RCA cable to run from a wired connection between the two.

View attachment 66496
My wire arrived and it works to connect my Windows 11 laptop directly to the NAD preamp. But I wonder if there is a way to adjust the gain on the audio-out on my computer more than the volume slider on the computer. With the computer volume at 100% the volume is still very low and so I need to turn the volume on the NAD preamp way, way up to get decent volume. I worry I'll forget to turn it down again when I go to my normal listening mode over BluOS wifi and blow the speakers. They are that different.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
My wire arrived and it works to connect my Windows 11 laptop directly to the NAD preamp. But I wonder if there is a way to adjust the gain on the audio-out on my computer more than the volume slider on the computer. With the computer volume at 100% the volume is still very low and so I need to turn the volume on the NAD preamp way, way up to get decent volume. I worry I'll forget to turn it down again when I go to my normal listening mode over BluOS wifi and blow the speakers. They are that different.
The volume control on the task bar acts like a master volume. Right click on the speaker icon and select "Open volume mixer" and check that your sources are turned up. What software are you using for playback from the PC?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
The volume control on the task bar acts like a master volume. Right click on the speaker icon and select "Open volume mixer" and check that your sources are turned up. What software are you using for playback from the PC?
Thanks. I got into the mixer. It's a bit better. I still have to turn the preamp volume up more but perhaps not dangerously up.

Right now all I plan to use is Firefox. This is not for playing my own music. I use BluOS for that.

It's for sampling "new-to-me" artists/bands that I've heard about but don't know. So I'm going to YouTube and just checking out bands to help me to decide whether to order a Greatest Hits CD or something.

I can also sample in the iTunes store but they don't let you sample whole songs. But I'd use Airplay for that.

I listened to some Allman Brothers on YouTube. It's a bit too country for my taste I think.

I think I'll start a post in the music forum to get some more ideas of bands to sample.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Last (used) Luxman piece for a while, a discontinued DAC from the same era as my L-509X integrated amp and EQ-500 phono stage...the Luxman DA-06.

It is just awesome! Smooth as could be. I would only like to add the new Luxman NT-07 streamer, but I'll have to wait for the demo unit my dealer just got to age out so i can get the maximum discount on it.

DA-06_from_left.jpg

DA-06_from_right.jpg

DA-06_in-situ.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis