What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
stock rear deck car speakers on the fritz so I bought a new pair. Hopefully will be easy to install with the instructions provided by Crutchfield. Not the best speakers on the market but hopefully better than the junk which came with car from the factory. Rockford Fosgate Punch. Wiring harnesses were free, the blue trim panel tools about $12.00.
View attachment 20922
Depends on the car:
Few years back I wanted to replace both my OEM speakers and original oem 1din stock radio on my old corolla. Pioneer cd/HD Radio I fitted myself including a bit soldering with making the right adapter, but I am glad that I paid $50 at car electric shop to fit 4 speakers (2 front doors and 2 rear) as especially door speakers were huge PITA to install. even if the replacement speakers were exactly same size. I went for Infinity $25/each I think on sale.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
stock rear deck car speakers on the fritz so I bought a new pair. Hopefully will be easy to install with the instructions provided by Crutchfield. Not the best speakers on the market but hopefully better than the junk which came with car from the factory. Rockford Fosgate Punch. Wiring harnesses were free, the blue trim panel tools about $12.00.
View attachment 20922
I have always been very pleased with the RF Punch line! Granted, I am only familiar with the amps and subs, I don't think they had normal car drivers the last time I bought Punch gear.

Rear deck speakers will likely be pretty easy.

Door speakers can be a royal pain! And, it can be difficult to get a door back together and not have a rattle.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Just picked this up for $40 and some change includin shipping. My Panasonic Shockwave is starting to fail no suprise here.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 20922
I went with Infinity from Crutchfield about 3 yrs ago -- replaced the front and back -- however, I let Best Buy install them.

Rockford will not be bad

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I went with Infinity from Crutchfield about 3 yrs ago -- replaced the front and back -- however, I let Best Buy install them.

Rockford will not be bad
I haven't worked on car audio in quite a while, but my preferred car audio brands have been Infinity, RF, Pio, Kenwood, AudioBahn, and of course Alpine.

Sticking with those brands, I have never been disappointed.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Craiglist find -- Yamaha 6490 for $20 -- A past Audioholics group test pretty much considered them their overall favorite budget speaker. All I can say is mercy! They are not that good and are rather weak. They are a big hollow box with no stuffing and 2 high pass filters.

The sound is somewhat high pitched, forward, nasal, congested, imaging is weak and the sound-stage small. The midrange and tweeter are interfering with each other. The bass is weak and timid and they do not go down low. My 3 inch, 2-way Digital Phase speakers have more richer and deeper bass.

I put some artificial snow in them and some mortite (rope caulk) on the woofer frame and the sealed back midrange frame. It cleaned the sound up some and the ringing. Turning them sideways with a vertical tweeter and midrange alignment can help the radiation pattern. They will be donated. If you can find them for around $49 used, then they are OK for the price.

Audioholics review and my pictures below.
http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/budget-bookshelf-shootout-2009

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yammy makes a lot of great products, but never really been known for great speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
From Craiglist -- Yamaha 465 receiver for $80 -- they took care of this thing, as it looks like new.:cool: I had to get a back-up receiver because on the Tascam (rebadged Integra) the HDMI circuit sound board seems to have gone out. However, when I bought it new on Ebay, I bought some square trade warranity -- I had 2 months left on that warranty, so it is being shipped to them, and they pay shipping both ways. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
From Craiglist -- Yamaha 465 receiver for $80 -- they took care of this thing, as it looks like new.:cool: I had to get a back-up receiver because on the Tascam (rebadged Integra) the HDMI circuit sound board seems to have gone out. However, when I bought it new on Ebay, I bought some square trade warranity -- I had 2 months left on that warranty, so it is being shipped to them, and they pay shipping both ways. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Yeah, let us know how that warranty work turns out for you

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Best case scenario Z gets the money back which he paid for Tascam avr (not replacement unit)
They have it, just waiting on their response -- I paid $188.21 new in a sealed (unopened) box -- I am also guessing money back -- whatever is cheaper for them, the warranty is up to the original cost.

It seems other different lines of receivers now are having some HDMI problems. I will not pay full price for different type receivers -- they continue to build them cheaply.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I love those locking banana plugs! I use them on all 10 speaker wires I made for my 5.1 system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis