What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Bought a new router, a T-Mobile Personal CellSpot Router.

It's basically an Asus RT-AC68U with T-Mobile branding and firmware, a 1900AC router which I caught on sale for $59. Replacing the T-Mobile stock firmware was a bear, and took me all evening.

1. I had to boot into recovery mode to downgrade to a firmware that supports telnet, then reset the nvram.
2. I then had to downgrade the bootloader using a USB key and some fancy telnet commands to a version more tolerant of 3rd party firmwares. This required saving the existing bootloader, hacking my router's MAC addresses and WPS secret into the replacement, then committing. And reset the nvram again.
3. Then I had to reboot back into recovery mode, but the web server never would fully serve the recovery page. I had to tftp my chosen firmware with no GUI and no feedback indicating pass or fail, just a prayer that it wouldn't brick. It didn't. :) One more nvram reset, and now I'm running AdvancedTomato. Whew.

Anyway, Amazon currently sells the non-T-Mobile version, the Asus RT-AC68U, for $156. This T-Mobile stamped dealio was a steal.

By the way, the sale is still on for anyone else who's interested. It's $99, then promo code WIFI40 knocks $40 off.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

It's basically an Asus RT-AC68U with T-Mobile branding and firmware, a 1900AC router which I caught on sale for $59. Replacing the T-Mobile stock firmware was a bear, and took me all evening.

1. I had to boot into recovery mode to downgrade to a firmware that supports telnet, then reset the nvram.
2. I then had to downgrade the bootloader using a USB key and some fancy telnet commands to a version more tolerant of 3rd party firmwares. This required saving the existing bootloader, hacking my router's MAC addresses and WPS secret into the replacement, then committing. And reset the nvram again.
3. Then I had to reboot back into recovery mode, but the web server never would fully serve the recovery page. I had to tftp my chosen firmware with no GUI and no feedback indicating pass or fail, just a prayer that it wouldn't brick. It didn't. :) One more nvram reset, and now I'm running AdvancedTomato. Whew.

Anyway, Amazon currently sells the non-T-Mobile version, the Asus RT-AC68U, for $156. This T-Mobile stamped dealio was a steal.

By the way, the sale is still on for anyone else who's interested. It's $99, then promo code WIFI40 knocks $40 off.
I've been running Tomato for several years on my Asus router.

I didn't know there is now AdvancedTomato. What's so "advanced" about it as compared to Tomato?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I've been running Tomato for several years on my Asus router.

I didn't know there is now AdvancedTomato. What's so "advanced" about it as compared to Tomato?
Nothing functionally, just the UI is a little more modern. Truth be told, there have been newer releases of Shibby's Tomato builds probably with features that haven't made it over to the AdvancedTomato fork yet. I just thought I'd give AdvancedTomato a try though, just because I can.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Hmmm, should I update my stock Asus f/w to tomato/adv tomato (I have a pair of AC66u running in extended wifi network) or do same on pair of these ?
Bear in mind - current setup is ok, but not great. occasional reboots still needed and second HUGE issue is 2nd router transmits it's WIFI on SAME channels as base thus creating more channel interference. it's impossible to change this config from stock asus setup.
edit:
NVM, I seems like I found the answer here, Repeater Bridge section:
https://learntomato.com/setup-wireless-repeater-wds-bridge-tomato/
Going to flash adv tomato this weekend to my 2nd router, not primary just yet

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm, should I update my stock Asus f/w to tomato/adv tomato (I have a pair of AC66u running in extended wifi network) or do same on pair of these ?
Bear in mind - current setup is ok, but not great. occasional reboots still needed and second HUGE issue is 2nd router transmits it's WIFI on SAME channels as base thus creating more channel interference. it's impossible to change this config from stock asus setup.
edit:
NVM, I seems like I found the answer here, Repeater Bridge section:
https://learntomato.com/setup-wireless-repeater-wds-bridge-tomato/
Going to flash adv tomato this weekend to my 2nd router, not primary just yet
Yeah, I was going to say that this is more like a question that we should be asking you!

Yup, the Tomato UI does seem a bit dated, but it gets the job done and I'm OK with it. Honestly, I set it up years ago and I've had to log in to make a tweak here and there maybe 2 or 3 times over the years.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I was going to say that this is more like a question that we should be asking you!

Yup, the Tomato UI does seem a bit dated, but it gets the job done and I'm OK with it. Honestly, I set it up years ago and I've had to log in to make a tweak here and there maybe 2 or 3 times over the years.
@rojo seems to know his stuff so question still (somewhat) addressed to him. I always welcome opportunity to hear educated opinion.

I have dealt a bit with wireless networks and their issues in noisy (as in wifi busy) situations, but tbh I am aching to go to mother of all wireless - ie: Wireless controller. Mesh networks are easy to set up and get going, but I don't think they could deliver the performance. Ubiquity might be an answer for me.

But in a meanwhile, I'm well passed warranty terms on both routers and it's prime time to start breaking (no longer existing) warranty.

Now, Honestly, Asus works very close with another 3rd party firmware modder - Merlin - https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/
and they had brough in the main branch many of features and fixes done by Merlin folks, including stuff like OpenVPN.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@rojo seems to know his stuff so question still (somewhat) addressed to him. I always welcome opportunity to hear educated opinion.

I have dealt a bit with wireless networks and their issues in noisy (as in wifi busy) situations, but tbh I am aching to go to mother of all wireless - ie: Wireless controller. Mesh networks are easy to set up and get going, but I don't think they could deliver the performance. Ubiquity might be an answer for me.

But in a meanwhile, I'm well passed warranty terms on both routers and it's prime time to start breaking (no longer existing) warranty.

Now, Honestly, Asus works very close with another 3rd party firmware modder - Merlin - https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/
and they had brough in the main branch many of features and fixes done by Merlin folks, including stuff like OpenVPN.
FWIW--I purchased my Asus and immediately installed Tomato. I never used any of the 1st party stuff at all.

This is my 3rd router. I went through a Netgear and a D-Link, each of those lasted maybe 2 years each. Then, before I bought my 3rd router, I asked my Bro-In-Law (IT guy by profession) for advice. He told me to get the Asus and sent me links to install Tomato and said to do it immediately. I did it from those links and never had any problems. That router has definitely outlasted the previous routers. I can't even say how old it is, but it was before the 5GHz band was common.

I'm no expert, but I can say that I have used Tomato to change the broadcast channel and to adjust the broadcast power.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW--I purchased my Asus and immediately installed Tomato. I never used any of the 1st party stuff at all.

This is my 3rd router. I went through a Netgear and a D-Link, each of those lasted maybe 2 years each. Then, before I bought my 3rd router, I asked my Bro-In-Law (IT guy by profession) for advice. He told me to get the Asus and sent me links to install Tomato and said to do it immediately. I did it from those links and never had any problems. That router has definitely outlasted the previous routers. I can't even say how old it is, but it was before the 5GHz band was common.

I'm no expert, but I can say that I have used Tomato to change the broadcast channel and to adjust the broadcast power.
My issue lies not in the main router, but in second one which is running as wifi network extender. (wds)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My issue lies not in the main router, but in second one which is running as wifi network extender. (wds)
Gotcha, I was just letting you know that I took the plunge, likely voided my warranty, never looked back.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Since Demon Dog is not a breed, what breed is she, very cute puppy
Other's have gotten to the answer before me, but yes she is an Australian Cattle Dog. Stubborn as all get out. lol

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the question was still open. :) I think upgrading from RT-AC66U to RT-AC68U would be an insignificant upgrade, and not worth the money. I was coming from an old Linksys WRT54G v2 I've had for going on a decade, just looking to increase my WLAN transfer speeds and maybe improve the wifi signal for my wife's Project Fi calls; so it was worthwhile to me.

Re: installing Tomato vs. keeping stock, I've read that stock Asus firmware can be buggy, whereas the openness of Tomato exposes bugs to be fixed more quickly. This blog expresses this opinion:

Ted Parvu said:
While I really liked all the features and the web interface that the ASUSWRT firmware provided I soon became disgruntled with how buggy the firmware was.

... It didn’t take me very long to find a typo in the code. Trying to report the bug to the Asus developers took a lot longer. Asus frontline support was reasonable, but trying to communicate with anyone above the tier one level proved virtually impossible.... This compounded with various versions of the Asus firmware crashing at least once a month, gave me the motivation to find another firmware for my router.
So yeah, given the longevity of my Tomato-loaded wireless G router, I wasted no time in voiding the warranty on my new wireless AC router. Since I loaded AdvancedTomato, I haven't had to reboot my Asus router a single time! Granted, that was just like 16 hours ago, though.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yea, you right, 66 to 68 is not massive jump, I care more about network stability rather than just the performance, which 50-100mbs is typically sufficient for mobile devices.
I do have 200mbps internet download, but i i have no illusions of trying to max it on wifi just yet

I'm not exactly a luddite then it comes with alternative firmware ;). From sideloading Kodi on amazon stick to rooting and running CM on device as 1st gen Moto Droid (or Fire Tablet).
I ran original linksys wrt54g with DDWRT until literally it was all sparks and smoke . No kidding. Cisco ASA505 was short term as it was speedy (100mbs) vpn, but way too complicated to configure (including crappy java integration) and last two years Asus 66u/r have been working well. Not perfect, but well. I don't know why I kept it stock all that time - I guess it that some said that WRT wasn't all that great stable on devices other than original wrt54g and Merlin fw wasn't that different from stock.

I heard about tomato f/w, but back then it was just prettier looking wrt. Advanced tomato looks like vast improvement in UI. I will give it shot, especially in wds usage I found stock fw lacking

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Picked this up from my NAD/Bluesound dealer the other day, haven't found time to install it on my NAD T758 receiver yet. It upgrades the video to passing through 4K signals, no processing such as upscaling. I got it for $199, a big discount because it was promised to be out "by spring 2016" when I bought the receiver just about 1 year ago. Another $179 for licensing fee and it will light up the BlueOS system for streaming Tidal Hi-Fi and other services and control them. I could then move my Bluesound Vault2 to the system upstairs on the rare occasion I need to rip another CD, and sell off or gift the Bluesound Node (N100) that's up there in the guest room now. Purchase price of T758 was $700, + VM130 for $199, +$179 for BlueOS = $1,078.00

If I pony up another $629 I can add the AM230 advanced audio module and get 4 more pre-outs for Atmos, making the 7.1 receiver a 7.1.4 receiver...with no capable built-in calibration system. NAD hints around at an agreement for Dirac Live, though that would be another license fee and buying a calibrated microphone...and a 4 channel amp. I don't know that it's worth going beyond getting the BlueOS activated because I'd then have over $2,000 into it, not counting the extra amp. For little more I could have a Marantz SR7010 or Denon AVR-X7200W and not need the amp, or for $2500 an NAD T777v3 with all the exact same features and 80w/ch instead of 60, or an Anthem MRX720 just needing a 2-channel amp.

Now I really don't need an Atmos receiver, as I'm not adding it. If I upgraded this one it would be given to my son because he *is* and can't afford one. Would you stop at the $1,078 level, hold onto it and get him a new (or Acc4Less refurbished) receiver? Or would you go all the way with this, give it to him and shop a higher level 5.1 hybrid (pre-pro and amp) system for yourself? I could go either way and can't make up my mind. :confused:

Last edited:
H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Obviously you have no clue on meat grades. I've never ever seen "prime" beef sold at Costco.
Son, that was rude, presumptive and wrong. Our Costco always has Choice and Prime beef. I just got a Prime whole ribeye. Their price for the whole primal is about the same per pound as a grocery store for sliced Choice. They won't slice it for you, but I'd rather slice and trim it myself. Their price for sliced Prime is about double their price for sliced Choice.

In addition to regular availability of Prime, they occasionally have Wagyu. You can almost always order it at Costco online. http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=wagyu&pageSize=96

So just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean Natrix "has no clue". In fact, I would argue the reverse.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Your right, I was just hitting back at him dinging me negative in a political thread, with minimal contribution and none in the thread. My bad dad or should I say potentialy brother (age reference to me) . I shouldn't have been bothered by it.
  • Son, that was rude, presumptive and wrong. Our Costco always has Choice and Prime beef. I just got a Prime whole ribeye. Their price for the whole primal is about the same per pound as a grocery store for sliced Choice. They won't slice it for you, but I'd rather slice and trim it myself. Their price for sliced Prime is about double their price for sliced Choice.
In addition to regular availability of Prime, they occasionally have Wagyu. You can almost always order it at Costco online. http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=wagyu&pageSize=96

So just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean Natrix "has no clue". In fact, I would argue the reverse.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the question was still open. :) I think upgrading from RT-AC66U to RT-AC68U would be an insignificant upgrade, and not worth the money. I was coming from an old Linksys WRT54G v2 I've had for going on a decade, just looking to increase my WLAN transfer speeds and maybe improve the wifi signal for my wife's Project Fi calls; so it was worthwhile to me.

Re: installing Tomato vs. keeping stock, I've read that stock Asus firmware can be buggy, whereas the openness of Tomato exposes bugs to be fixed more quickly. This blog expresses this opinion:

So yeah, given the longevity of my Tomato-loaded wireless G router, I wasted no time in voiding the warranty on my new wireless AC router. Since I loaded AdvancedTomato, I haven't had to reboot my Asus router a single time! Granted, that was just like 16 hours ago, though.
I just took a look, I've been running my Asus router 3 years now, no issues, I have had to reboot it, maybe 1 time every 6 months.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis