What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

1dwn5up

Enthusiast
I still use Ipad 2, not air 2, with IOS8 and it's a bit slow but better with IOS8 than 7.
Yea, I have the non-air also, just updated to iOS9, been working fine. Only google voice app has been buggy, but they no longer support it.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I picked up the 3D version of this;

We haven't seen this movie yet. Almost never go to the theater. Wait for bluray, usually Netflix, then buy if I like it a bunch. Some studios require Netflix to delay availability for some weeks after the disc is offered retail. This is one of those. And this is one I might just go ahead and buy before we see it. Previews look great for HT, and we like The Rock. His movies are clean, well made and entertaining. Not just gruesome or filthy purely for the shock value.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
We haven't seen this movie yet. Almost never go to the theater. Wait for bluray, usually Netflix, then buy if I like it a bunch. Some studios require Netflix to delay availability for some weeks after the disc is offered retail. This is one of those. And this is one I might just go ahead and buy before we see it. Previews look great for HT, and we like The Rock. His movies are clean, well made and entertaining. Not just gruesome or filthy purely for the shock value.
I watched in the theater and the "rock" is about as good as Arnold "I'll Be Back!!" Schwarzenegger. It was a fun film if you take it for what it is and turn off the brain and go for the ride. I find movie critics often forget what a film's intent is and as a result score it low.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I find movie critics often forget what a film's intent is and as a result score it low.
Exactly! Our idea of entertainment seems to be quite different from that of most reviewers... and many movie makers. Of course, most them are libs. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I watched in the theater and the "rock" is about as good as Arnold "I'll Be Back!!" Schwarzenegger. It was a fun film if you take it for what it is and turn off the brain and go for the ride. I find movie critics often forget what a film's intent is and as a result score it low.
Concerning the Rock and silly movies, I actually liked Journey 2! Yeah, it was silly but it was fun and had good effects.

And, the "pec pop of love" had me cracking up for a long time.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Harmony Ultimate One arrived today.
View attachment 16727

Set it up w/ online software/instructions. I can only say it is very, VERY COOL! Thanks to all who recommended it!
After a couple weeks w/ this, I can report. It works as designed and is useful to control multiple components. However, I'm not a big fan of its ergonomics.

With the touchscreen in the middle, the most used buttons are at the top and bottom of the remote. When I'm using buttons at the top, sometimes I'll palm-press, (kinda like buttdial), buttons at the bottom. And when I want to use buttons at the bottom, it can be difficult to hold the remote and get my fingers low enough.

The signal from the remote comes out of the bottom, not the top/front edge like most remotes. It means you need to hold this remote sorta vertically so the signal is emitted toward your components, and cannot lay it on the table or arm of the chair when you push buttons. That makes it a bit more cumbersome to hold and press buttons at the very bottom.

Would I buy this again? Yep. But I may still use the old remotes a bit more than I expected.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you life Fiona, Sade or Norah you may like this:

Got these to block the glare on the sides when watching a 3D movie. Will try them this weekend:

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
How is the remastering on these?
Not sure what you mean "remastering".
Setup of the remote is pretty straightforward.
1. Download software from their site. (I have Win10 and had no problems.)
2. Plug the remote into your computer via enclosed USB cable.
3. Select which components you have, (TV, AVR, BDP, Sat/Cbl Receiver, etc.)
4. Select the inputs you want to use. For example, when you press Play TV, what components do you want to turn on and what input do you want your AVR to use? TV? When you select Play Movie, what inputs do you want your AVR to use? TV? Etc.
5. Done

The first couple times you use the remote, it will ask you, "Did all devices turn on the way you want?". If no, you can correct w/o reconnecting to your computer.

I have noticed the remote can become confused if you use your other remotes. Say you're watching TV and decide to watch a bluray movie. You walk over to your setup and manually turn on the BDP and put in a movie. Then go back to your chair and use your AVR remote to change inputs from Cbl/Sat to BDP.

At this point, the Harmony is pretty useless. It still thinks you're watching TV, and the buttons are still configured for Cbl/Sat. Stop, Pause, FF, etc don't work on the movie. The movie is over and you press Power Off on the remote, but the BDP doesn't because the remote doesn't know it's on.

A couple times the remote has seemed to become a bit out of sync. I've had to power on & off a couple times for everything to coordinate again.

Before the Harmony, I usually had 2 remotes on the table beside me... one for the Sat Rcvr and one for the AVR. For a movie, the BDP remote came out of the remote caddy and the Sat one went back to the caddy. It was sometimes a bit awkward for my wife. Say I happened to be out of the room and the phone rang. She had to reach over, pick a remote, figure out which one it was and whether to pause or mute. Awkward for her since the remotes are generally under my control, (as it should be).

Now there is only the Harmony out of the remote caddy. Easy for her to pick up and know what to do. If I used it to set up the right components, Pause will Pause whether it's TV or a movie. Volume is Volume, Mute is Mute, etc.

So we use it, and it's useful. A pretty clear understanding of the HT components, their functions and remotes, (including the Harmony), is still required. But if I'm diligent about turning everything on w/ the Harmony and making sure it is in synch, it is easier for my wife to grab a single remote and operate the system. If I get hit by a bus, she will likely still become confused at some point w/ the Harmony.

I'm getting pretty used to the buttons and their position on the Harmony. It's still a bit cumbersome to hold and actually reach/press some of the buttons.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
:eek:Thanks for the review but No this:

:D
Ha! Sorry. These DVDs look very good. The video is much better than I expected. The dialog is sometimes difficult to understand, but I suspect it is due to the original recording, not the reproduction.

The series starts w/ the first "talkies", before Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla or Buckwheat. It's interesting to see how the productions and stories improve as the series progresses.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Ha! Sorry. These DVDs look very good. The video is much better than I expected. The dialog is sometimes difficult to understand, but I suspect it is due to the original recording, not the reproduction.

The series starts w/ the first "talkies", before Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla or Buckwheat. It's interesting to see how the productions and stories improve as the series progresses.
Thanks I thought Cosby bought the rights to stop the showing of these? I guess they are public domain now. Good to know I may pick these up.

D

davwaymoore

Enthusiast
Marantz AV8801
Outlaw 7700 Power amp
Harmony Ultimate Home

Everything works as designed and I am loving it!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I already shared it in another thread.... or not...
Got this grinder to replace my old Baratza Virtuso
It's been almost a month since I got it and I'm quite happy with it, except for grinding you have to keep holding the button :( which is a step back, but what most important - it's much better choice for grinder if you love espresso. Got it as open box with extra 10% off - so not too bad.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My wife is having a good month. First the new ring and now this:

What about me you ask? I get new snow tires.:confused::rolleyes:

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Given your location (assuming you mean bear Whiteface Mountain in NH) and the coming season, you may well get far more miles on your snow tires than she will on that bike.

Given the price of those bikes, I expect you to be getting Nokian Hakkapeliitta and nothing less!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi Ken. It is Whiteface Mtn in NY where the downhill ski events where held in the 1980 Olympics. But you are still correct in that we already have some snow up on the hill and road riding is getting chilly. She is getting through a couple of knee surgeries and will not be able to run like she used to so she should have something nice this spring. She can only ride the trainer right now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis