What are you buying this season?!?! (The gift, self-gift & holiday thread)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've fallen prey to the frenzy. Bought X-Men on blu-ray for $5, then splurged and coughed up $10 for Fast Five (which I've never seen, but apparently the audio is awesome).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Almost just bought a carpet cleaner for $350 (down from $550), but I just couldn't justify it. I already have two Hoover SteamVacs...although this one looked like it would do a better job based on the reviews.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
-My friend at work has been wanting a sound system for his truck, I might get him a JL Audio 700/5 and install four JL components and a JL 8" sub in a stealth box. He doesn't want loud, just flat and nice sounding.
If you want any more friends, I'll volunteer :D

Just bought some carbon fiber goodies for my car. Thinking of getting a new Macbook Pro, but hard to justify when my old one is working well (but I really want solid state drive instead of the old spinning HD), and also thinking about replacing my 12 year old 65" Toshiba because it hogs so much room.

As for others, it will be whatever toys the kids want this year, and usually clothes for others. iPhone for the wifey. Pretty boring stuff.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thinking of getting a new Macbook Pro, but hard to justify when my old one is working well (but I really want solid state drive instead of the old spinning HD)
The hard drive is user-replaceable, go buy yourself a solid state :D

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
If you want any more friends, I'll volunteer :D

Just bought some carbon fiber goodies for my car. Thinking of getting a new Macbook Pro, but hard to justify when my old one is working well (but I really want solid state drive instead of the old spinning HD), and also thinking about replacing my 12 year old 65" Toshiba because it hogs so much room.

As for others, it will be whatever toys the kids want this year, and usually clothes for others. iPhone for the wifey. Pretty boring stuff.
Haha.

What do you use your computer for mainly? The new MacAir with the i7 with maxed out ram that I bought is fast enough for me to run Adobe CS5.5 at reasonable speed (access is rapid, processing is sufficient). Not fast enough for 3D, but for most use it's plentiful. Solid-state drive and so light I can toss it in a bag like nothing. I use my iMac for heavy duty stuff, but, really, the Mac Air with the i7 makes the Macbook Pro kinda, well...I donno... If I didn't have a desktop I'd probably get the Macbook Pro, but since I do I prefer the Mac Air i7.

Plugged into power I can run a professional monitor, and through a USB hub I connect my keyboard, card reader, wired connection, Wacom tablet and USB drive(s). Really streamlined process. I can take pics if your debating.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I've fallen prey to the frenzy. Bought X-Men on blu-ray for $5, then splurged and coughed up $10 for Fast Five (which I've never seen, but apparently the audio is awesome).
Almost just bought a carpet cleaner for $350 (down from $550), but I just couldn't justify it. I already have two Hoover SteamVacs...although this one looked like it would do a better job based on the reviews.
You really need to stay away from those Amazon lightning deals. :p

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
The hard drive is user-replaceable, go buy yourself a solid state :D
Yeah, but then I still have an old computer and not a new, shiny one ;)

Haha.

What do you use your computer for mainly?
I don't have a desktop, so I use my laptop for everything...primarily web surfing, emails, watching stuff like Top Gear, word processing. No gaming and nothing that really requires the latest and greatest hardware, but it's nice to have anyway.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
at my couple local BB's,they were camping on tuesday already !
it's raining today ! lol
This brings up a question. What is your time worth? 48 hours of sitting at a store front? How much are you saving to justify your time camping out in front of a store? Lets say you make $10 an hour. I guess if I saved $500 it might be worth it, but what if you make more than that, lets say $30, and your saving $1000 in purchases, is it worth? Plus, everything goes on sale eventually anyway. Heck, I walked in BestBuy at 11 Am today and saved $1000 on a Samsung washer and dryer and didn't camp out for 1 second.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
You got that right! Although, I did manage to get through the day only spending $30 - and $15 of that was for pizza. :)
I spent a lot more than that today. On the expensive side I had the bright idea to order a set of Westone 4 IEMs. On the cheap side I bought a few $5 Blu-Rays from Walmart and a few other discounted Blu-Rays from Amazon. I also apparently need to stay away from those Lightning Deals. That's how they got me on Inception & Fast Five.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I got 100% of what I wanted at Best Buy...

The 42" Sharp ($200)
The 46" Panasonic ($400) (for the in-laws)
The 50" Panasonic ($600) - a 'job referal' bonus for work someone got me
The Toshiba BD player ($40)
The Garmin w/lifetime updates ($85)
Harry Potter 7 (part 2) ($10)
The popcorn maker ($20)
The cupcake maker ($25)
8GB SDHC Card ($10)

In all, I saved about $650 vs. buying everything online, and it was about 9 hours of my time total to get it done. If the deals are there again next year, I will be waiting in line again to make the most of it!

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, but then I still have an old computer and not a new, shiny one ;)
I know what you mean, I got a 15" maxed out MBP a few months ago! Actually, it was maxed out except for the hard drive and the ram, which I upgraded myself.

I dropped my laptop while it was in my bag though, so now it has a little dent :(

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I avoided the monkey-farting that goes with black Friday. Only thing I bought was a 42" LG 42LV4400 LED_LCD for my parents from Amazon. They are finally interested in replacing their old tube tv in one room. Brother and I will split the cost and we liked this one better for specs and quality than the super-cheap ones in the BB ad and Walmart. Plus neither one of us was going to go to Walmart when they opened. Not around here. I still have too much left on my medical deductable for this year. It would offset any potential savings.

I did by a set of ratchet wrenches for the FIL. He's easy to shop for once you figure out a tool he could use.

Not sure what else to get for others. My wife isn't into too much fashion so Coach bags don't do anything for her. Plus she has a "Baggallini" that is not very old. Not to mention she has the clothes we bought in October when we flew to Belgium for the weekend. Last year I got her an Ipad and now I'm super-stuck as for this year.

My wants are pretty simple. Don't know if I'll get any of them.
  • 65 Panny Plasma
  • 1-1.5 gal air compressor
  • wood lathe, 40" minimum
  • iPad or tablet, 16 gb min, good quality
  • New Car

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I don't have a desktop, so I use my laptop for everything...primarily web surfing, emails, watching stuff like Top Gear, word processing. No gaming and nothing that really requires the latest and greatest hardware, but it's nice to have anyway.
Yeah, I'd probably get the MacBook Pro then, if it's your primary computer. Bigger screen and cheaper power for the dollar.

But, if you don't move it a lot, I'd highly consider an iMac instead.

If you move it a lot, then I'd consider the decked out Air.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I'd probably get the MacBook Pro then, if it's your primary computer. Bigger screen and cheaper power for the dollar.

But, if you don't move it a lot, I'd highly consider an iMac instead.

If you move it a lot, then I'd consider the decked out Air.
I bring it to work everyday. The main reason I don't want an Air is due to the need for an external drive for DVDs.

Just found out my son wants a new computer for Xmas, so mine will likely wait. Oh the sacrifices one has to make...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just found out my son wants a new computer for Xmas, so mine will likely wait. Oh the sacrifices one has to make...
Sounds perfect to me.

You're current computer is new to him, right? I'm sure that you see where I'm going with this... :D

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Sounds perfect to me.

You're current computer is new to him, right? I'm sure that you see where I'm going with this... :D
LOL, yeah, already thought about that. He's used to PC though so I think I'll stick with that for him.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
He's used to PC though so I think I'll stick with that for him.
The beauty of the Intel Macs - you can install Windows on them. ;)

Just messing with you, of course. You're a great parent getting your son a new one first.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
I got myself a 13" MacBook Pro (open box special) and my wife an Amazon Kindle Fire. I'm looking at projectors, but so far have only purchased a Chinese knockoff projector bulb. I also have my eye on a 2012 Honda CBR1000. My children and grandchildren get checks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis