What are you buying this season?!?! (The gift, self-gift & holiday thread)

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
The beauty of the Intel Macs - you can install Windows on them. ;)

Just messing with you, of course. You're a great parent getting your son a new one first.
True enough, but I refuse to put Windows on a Mac.

Well, ordered my son's laptop PC computer online yesterday:

Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad Core 2.0GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
640GB HDD
BD-ROM Combo Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M 2GB
15.6" 1920x1080 Full HD Display

I think he should be happy with those specs and they should be more than adequate for his gaming needs...damn thing is a lot better than mine (except it's a PC, so not really).

Already spent >$5K, and it's not even Dec yet :eek:

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I avoided the monkey-farting that goes with black Friday. Only thing I bought was a 42" LG 42LV4400 LED_LCD for my parents from Amazon. They are finally interested in replacing their old tube tv in one room. Brother and I will split the cost and we liked this one better for specs and quality than the super-cheap ones in the BB ad and Walmart. Plus neither one of us was going to go to Walmart when they opened. Not around here. I still have too much left on my medical deductable for this year. It would offset any potential savings.

I did by a set of ratchet wrenches for the FIL. He's easy to shop for once you figure out a tool he could use.

Not sure what else to get for others. My wife isn't into too much fashion so Coach bags don't do anything for her. Plus she has a "Baggallini" that is not very old. Not to mention she has the clothes we bought in October when we flew to Belgium for the weekend. Last year I got her an Ipad and now I'm super-stuck as for this year.

My wants are pretty simple. Don't know if I'll get any of them.
  • 65 Panny Plasma
  • 1-1.5 gal air compressor
  • wood lathe, 40" minimum
  • iPad or tablet, 16 gb min, good quality
  • New Car
I always watch the Sears sales in the newspaper. Every once in a while they'll have those Craftsman rachet sets for 10 bucks...really good buy. Yeah, it's not the professional, but, it's perfect for having in the car or whatever. The Craftsman Professional I've determined to be my choice over Snap-On now...simply because it's basically the same feel and lots less money (and I'm not a daily tool user). I still like the Snap-On electric series though (small screw drivers and such for working on electronics and computers).

If you want a cool and handy tool, get a carb pin puller:
LS46500 - Carburetor Pin Puller - Cornwell Webcat

I never work on carburators anymore (Well, except maybe the lawnmower hehe), but I use these all the time for grabbing small parts while working on electronics. Or holding wires, etc.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
If you want a cool and handy tool, get a carb pin puller:
LS46500 - Carburetor Pin Puller - Cornwell Webcat

I never work on carburators anymore (Well, except maybe the lawnmower hehe), but I use these all the time for grabbing small parts while working on electronics. Or holding wires, etc.
I'll have to look at that carb pin puller. The FIL teaches small engines courses and will fix stuff up including rebuilding carbs. His project car collection is very impressive and makes me jealous. But then his wife, my MIL, lets him buy more project cars. He has it pretty good.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have anything really grabbing at me that I want/need to upgrade. I updated my TV last year at this time and i have no desire to do that now.

I did buy an 80GB Intel 320 SSD for my laptop for $79 after rebate from Newegg. That will breath some new life into my nearly 4 year old Toshiba.

I also got a highly rated super quiet CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel cooler on my main machine for $4.99 after rebate thanks to Newegg. It was actually $5 cheaper on sale last week before black Friday.

I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet. I am horrible at thinking of gifts for other people.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Way too much...

I bought myself a 21 bottle wine cooler.
I bought my parents a 32" TV.
My wife and I bought each other a 32" TV for the guest room.
I bought my wife a Xbox 360 w/ Kinect bundle.
I bought my wife a new washer and dryer.
I also promised my wife an anniversary ring.
It's going to be a painfully expensive holiday season.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The garage we built is pretty much the gift we are getting this year.

I know I am getting one cool toy. An emotiva XDA-1:D. Picked it up from the Blue Friday sale for only $220. I don't know if I'll use it at home or in my office.

Wife is getting a Kindle Fire and kid is getting a regular Kindle.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Got a BB Playbook last week...couldn't resist at $200. Never thought I would own a Playbook and not an iPad. It arrived a few days ago and is still sitting unopened on my desk. I guess I didn't really need it. I should really stop impulse buying.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis