Went on a spree........

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Woo hoo!

My customs agency just called and said I could come collect my shipment. I've been running a 2.0 system with just my Klipsch RF-7's and my Denon AVR-3311 for awhile and was just fine.

I keep reading this forum and getting more and more jealous by the day until I just had to burn another credit card to the max! You all are something else. Warren Buffett would be broke in a month if he came on here.

So I went on my quest to satisfy my ears. BIC PL-200 subwoofer (until I can get my dream SVS PC-Ultra 13), Klipsch RC-64II center, pair of Klipsch KS-7502-THX in-ceiling surrounds, pair of Klipsch AW-650 outdoors for zone 2.

Going to pick all of this up after lunch and try and get it all home. Guess I got me some cabling to get done. I know the house will be a mess of wires for a bit until I can get up in the ceiling to run things properly.

Xmas comes early this year! :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations!!! I bet that you'll be grinning all day long. :)

The PC-13 Ultra is a great choice, IMO! I like mine, and I don't even have one of their newer amps. Here's a taste of what delivery might look like...

"Knock, knock. Daddy's home."

Don't you have just one more credit card? J/K! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats!

But what are you trying to do? Get me to spend more money or something?:eek:

Now that you have a 5.1 system + outdoor system, you can stop spending completely.

"Upgraditis" is very infectious; I don't want to catch it.:D

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
LOL! Yeah right.

I still don't have the SVS yet but it is next on the wish list.... then there is the mega changer, bedroom HT system, big amp for parties, garage system, projector, jacuzzi................ you all are not healthy for my credit score! ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...the SVS yet but it is next on the wish list.... then there is the mega changer, bedroom HT system, big amp for parties, garage system, projector, jacuzzi...
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la........ I can't hear you.......:D

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Uh oh, what is this?

Just a regular Tuesday night.....or...?

....XMAS!

Working on connecting up center and sub for at least an upgrade to 3.1 for now.

Have to get a lighter/smaller guy to go up in the ceiling and run the wires for the rear surrounds and the zone 2 outdoors later in the week.

Can you see me grinning!

Attachments

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Is your center channel bigger than your sub? :eek: The box is pretty large.

Yeah, I'm just bustin' your chops. :D That gear looks great!

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Ok, 1st issue. Trying to set up my 3.1 system.

During the Auto Start setup of the Denon AVR-3311 Audyssey recognizes the front left, center and front right but doesn't recognize the sub.

The BIC PL-200 sub has it's own built in amp and the switch is in the on position and the green light is lit indicating that it is on. It is connected from the Sub-In port back to my Denon AVR with a single RCA cable to the SW port as directed on page 5 of the Denon owners manual.

Should I just go to manual mode and try and set it up myself?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did you try turning the volume knob up higher on the sub? Also, make sure that the crossover frequency on the sub itself is set to the highest value possible.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Ok, turned the volume up half way on the sub and set the front speakers manually to small on the AVR. Still nothing coming from the sub. Tried the Audyssey again and test tones skip the sub section like it doesn't recognize it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Couple of suggestions:
  • Make sure that you connected the RCA cable to the sub out jack on the Denon and not the sub in jack. That's not meant to be insulting - it's happened more than once.
  • If that doesn't work, try a different RCA cable.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I can't tell if it's in or out. It just says SW and is the one that the manual says to plug into when you're running a sub that has its own built in amp. There is another SW port on the back of the amp but it is labeled Pre-Out section and is off by itself.

I'll have to get another cable tomorrow. I stopped by Radio Shack today and just got a 20 ft. standard RCA cable to try it with. I will eventually need a 68 ft. cable when the wires are up in the ceiling. 10' over from behind AVR stand to corner + 10' up to the ceiling + 28' run along wall inside ceiling + 10' down from ceiling + 10' to sub placement.

55katest55

Audioholic
Make sure that, if applicable, you select "subwoofer: yes" in your AVRs menu! Other than that, just make sure theres an RCA cable going from the sub to the AVR, and a power cord from the sub to the wall, obviously. Good luck and congrats!

Edit: Oh yeah, what Adam said. :p Sub out port. If its not labeled, try both. :D Also, definitely not the pre-out port.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
After looking at the back panel on your 3311CI, you don't have a sub input. I thought that you had 5.1 or 7.1 inputs, but you don't. You have two sub outputs. The are both pre-outs, but for subs, that's what you want to use. You should be able to use either one.

There are three possibilities that come to mind:
- The receiver isn't outputting the sub signal
- The cable isn't transmitting the sub signal
- The sub is receiving the signal, but it isn't playing it

Double checking the connection on the back, setting your Denon menu up for a sub, and trying to play some test tones from the Denon can help troubleshoot the first one. (Check out page 81 of your manual for directions to manually output test tones from your Denon. You could cycle through and see if the sub outputs sound with those.) Inputting a signal directly from a source and bypassing the receiver is another way to troubleshoot this.

Swapping the cable helps to troubleshoot the second possibility.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congratulations!!! I bet that you'll be grinning all day long. :)

The PC-13 Ultra is a great choice, IMO! I like mine, and I don't even have one of their newer amps. Here's a taste of what delivery might look like...

"Knock, knock. Daddy's home."

Don't you have just one more credit card? J/K! :D
Adam,

Your dog looks pretty apathetic about the whole thing....I just don't understand why dogs can't get into Home Theater. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Your dog looks pretty apathetic about the whole thing....I just don't understand why dogs can't get into Home Theater. :D
Oh, she's was all excited when you say that it was a new sub*. She just didn't care about the box - after all, she'd been desensitized after months of Amazon deliveries. :D

* Not really. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Plug an RCA cable into the sub LFE (if it has LFE input). Use your finger to bridge (short) the tip and ring of the RCA cable and see if you get any hum.

You could have a bad subwoofer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Denon 3310 hooked up to a PL200.

On the PL200, the Crossover is set to OUT, right?

OUT means you are NOT using the Sub's internal crossover. It is the same as BYPASS.

When you play something, look on the Denon LCD screen to the right side. It shows the output channels.

If 2.1, it should show 3 things: Front Left, Front Right, and SW.

Does it show the "SW" on the Denon LCD?

1) As already mentioned, in your setup, make sure you have the Sub configured in the speakers setup as YES. All other speakers Small, XO 80Hz.

2) The output in the back of the Denon labeled "SW" is the correct one. It should be next to the other pre-outs (FL, FR, C, SR, SL, etc.).

3) If listening to 2.1 music, set up the Audio Stereo/Direct as Subwoofer YES, speakers Small, XO @ 80Hz.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Make sure that, if applicable, you select "subwoofer: yes" in your AVRs menu! Other than that, just make sure theres an RCA cable going from the sub to the AVR, and a power cord from the sub to the wall, obviously. Good luck and congrats!

Edit: Oh yeah, what Adam said. :p Sub out port. If its not labeled, try both. :D Also, definitely not the pre-out port.
Thx. I set the sub to YES in manual setup mode and still no sound. Strange why the auto setup mode doesn't even recognize it. It tries and then skips over like its not there....exactly like it does for the rear surrounds which are definately not there.

Yeah, I eventually tried the other SW port under the Pre-Out label but nothing there either.

Gotta be something simple that I'm just missing.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I have a Denon 3310 hooked up to a PL200.

On the PL200, the Crossover is set to OUT, right?

OUT means you are NOT using the Sub's internal crossover. It is the same as BYPASS.

When you play something, look on the Denon LCD screen to the right side. It shows the output channels.

If 2.1, it should show 3 things: Front Left, Front Right, and SW.

Does it show the "SW" on the Denon LCD?

1) As already mentioned, in your setup, make sure you have the Sub configured in the speakers setup as YES. All other speakers Small, XO 80Hz.

2) The output in the back of the Denon labeled "SW" is the correct one. It should be next to the other pre-outs (FL, FR, C, SR, SL, etc.).

3) If listening to 2.1 music, set up the Audio Stereo/Direct as Subwoofer YES, speakers Small, XO @ 80Hz.
Thx. I didn't notice what it said on the Denon LCD. I'll look when I go home for lunch. At some time or another the XO was set to 80Hz, front and center speakers were set to Small, Sub set to Yes and on the PL-200 crossover set to Out but I can't remember how I left it because I was trying all kind of configurations to get it working. I just turned it off and unplugged it from the wall and unplugged the RCA cable before going to bed after midnight.

I think I remember setting the speakers back to Large because they sure sounded a lot better that way when watching TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis