Audioholic Slumlord
An interesting documentary on vinyl

Last edited by a moderator:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks guys I guess I won't need it. :)
Check this out:

Anyone ever do this? Alot of videos on this method and it seems to work.

G

gib

Audioholic Intern
With the resurrection of my turntable, I am slowly crawling through the 500+ alblum collection from the late-60's thru the early 80's. Have not bought anything new yet, still have way too many to listen to. What a joy to hear them again.

L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
I am very impatiently waiting for my copy of Roky Erickson and The Aliens - The Evil One (Plus One) that I won on ebay. Stupid Sweden and its stupid slow mail :D

@afterlife2 I've seen a bunch of people using that glue method, but personally I'd be worried that some would get on the center or that there would be some amount left that I can't see and/or can't get off that would cause more problems than it would solve.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
It's called a record clamp and its been debated to death by audiophiles. It may help with records that are warped but that is the only use I think they're good for.
That actually looks more like a record weight, since it doesn't have any sort of flange that covers the label (the details on the linked pages bear this out). The difference is that clamps typically screw or somehow fasten to the spindle, whereas weights just have a hole for the spindle and rely on their mass to do their thing. As you said, there is a mini holy war regarding the relative merits of either - My VPI came with a clamp, which is very useful for warped records, but I don't hear any difference in sound with or without it when playing a non-warped record.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys I guess I won't need it. :)
Check this out:

Anyone ever do this? Alot of videos on this method and it seems to work.
That is a Cecil E Watts Dust Bug.

He did years of research to get this simple device just about perfect. It is the best accessory ever invented to keep your records in good condition.

All my turntables have had them fitted for over close to 60 years.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS Are they still available? and where does it hook up too?
Got this on Monday. Waiting to listen this weekend. Discovered her on a movie I was watching(Crazy Love playing as background at the end of the movie) The Five-Year Engagement(good movie although a little long). She is the great-great-niece of Judy Garland.:eek:

Cecil E. Watts, was one of the great pioneers of disc recording. He produced the Dust bug until about 1980. He was put out of business by a judgement of that evil organization otherwise known as the European Union in 1978. This had to do with him granting exclusive continental European distribution rights to a
Dutch firm.

He is an extract of the judgement.

Judgments nº C-28/77 of Court of Justice, June 20, 1978
Subject of the case
APPLICATION FOR THE ANNULMENT OF THE COMMISSION DECISION OF 21 DECEMBER 1976 RELATING TO A PROCEEDING UNDER ARTICLE 85 OF THE EEC TREATY ( IV/28.812 THEAL/WATTS ; OFFICIAL JOURNAL L 39 OF 10 FEBRUARY 1977 , P . 19 ) AND ALSO FOR THE CANCELLATION OF THE FINES IMPOSED BY THAT DECISION ,
Grounds
1THE COMMISSION ON 21 DECEMBER 1976 TOOK A DECISION , WHICH WAS PUBLISHED IN OFFICIAL JOURNAL L 39 OF 10 FEBRUARY 1977 , P . 19 , CONCERNING THE UNDERTAKINGS THEAL NV AND CECIL E . WATTS , NOW KNOWN AS TEPEA BV AND CECIL E . WATTS LTD . ( REFERRED TO HEREAFTER IN THIS JUDGMENT AS ' ' THEAL ' ' AND ' ' WATTS ' ' ), ARTICLE 1 WHEREOF RECORDED THAT :
( 1 ) AN ORAL EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT BETWEEN THEAL AND WATTS INCLUDING THE GRANT OF THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE THE TRADE-MARKS REGISTERED IN THE NETHERLANDS WAS AN INFRINGEMENT OF ARTICLE 85 ( 1 ) OF THE EEC TREATY ;
( 2 ) THE SUPPLYING OF INCORRECT AND MISLEADING INFORMATION IN THEAL ' S NOTIFICATION DATED 24 JANUARY 1963 WAS ALSO A PUNISHABLE INFRINGEMENT OF ARTICLE 15 ( 1 ) ( A ) OF REGULATION NO . 17 OF 6 FEBRUARY 1962 .
ARTICLES 2 AND 3...

He was a great and cheerful man, but was broken after that ridiculous abuse, which I believe contributed to his death.

That evil organization just will not die. May be the Italian election results of this week will give it a good shove over the cliff.

The Dust Bugs still come up on eBay now and again. There were a vast number sold. I took the precaution of really stocking up after that judgement.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Man that really makes me mad. Thanks for sharing TLS.
Looks easy to hook up. Here it is:

Looks to have a suction piece to hold it in place.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Man that really makes me mad. Thanks for sharing TLS.
Looks easy to hook up. Here it is:

Looks to have a suction piece to hold it in place.
Yes, it does, but you need a little glue. The imitations don't work. He spent a lot of time getting the nylon bristle tips just right.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, it does, but you need a little glue. The imitations don't work. He spent a lot of time getting the nylon bristle tips just right.
Can you tell me what the "humid mop" product does? I didn't get good instructions with the one that came with my dust bug off ebay. I grabbed it a while back when someone else didn't take the advice from you.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can you tell me what the "humid mop" product does? I didn't get good instructions with the one that came with my dust bug off ebay. I grabbed it a while back when someone else didn't take the advice from you.
You don't need it. It was a detergent solution. The Dust Bug always worked best dry. Just remove accumulated dust on the pad and bristles with a stylus cleaning brush.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You don't need it. It was a detergent solution. The Dust Bug always worked best dry. Just remove accumulated dust on the pad and bristles with a stylus cleaning brush.
So, it was a detergent solution with a little applicator? So, what I have is just the applicator with no solution in the bottle, and don't bother with it? Like I said, it came with the dust bug, but I didn't have instructions for it, so I was somewhat puzzled by the usefulness of it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
[h=1]Beatles Record Player Sells for Over $12,000[/h] by Jeff Giles February 4, 2013 10:20 AM
<figure id="attachment_112661" class="aligncenter">
<figcaption style="width:630px;">eBay</figcaption></figure> Vinyl enthusiasts regularly drop thousands of dollars on stereo equipment so they can experience the purest possible sound, but one hardcore Beatles fan just invested more than $12,000 in a remarkably rare turntable that will probably never even be used.
WhatSellsBest reports that a 1964 NEMS Beatles Record Player, offered in near-mint condition with all its original parts intact, was recently offered by a well-known memorabilia dealer on eBay with a starting price of 99 <nobr>cents</nobr>. Twenty-nine bids later, the turntable found its new home — at a final price of $12,100.
As the article points out, these <nobr>record players</nobr> were one of the earliest pieces of licensed Beatles merchandise — and given that they were manufactured in a limited run of 5,000, it’s extremely rare to find one that’s been this well-preserved. The player’s vendor acknowledged as much in the listing, which read in part, “Folks, this one is it! The winner of the all time best record player I have ever offered for sale, and it even edges the one I owned myself in 1982, which before now… Held the title!”
Once again, it just goes to show you that it’s worth hanging onto tie-in products inspired by your favorite bands — and who knows? If your kids bring home, say, a One Direction <nobr>mp3 player</nobr>, maybe it’ll end up helping pay for a nice vacation someday.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked up this little gem today for $15.00. Being a blues fanatic, I'm embarrarsed to say that I never had any of his albums in my collection until now.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
So, it was a detergent solution with a little applicator? So, what I have is just the applicator with no solution in the bottle, and don't bother with it? Like I said, it came with the dust bug, but I didn't have instructions for it, so I was somewhat puzzled by the usefulness of it.
Slipp, that is exactly what you have, no need for the solution though, very effective dry and removes a lot of static as well. Mark (TLS) turned me on to this little device years ago, like he said clean it with a stylus brush, also dry, I use one of the Last stylus brushes. take care.
Cheers Jeff

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I pcked this album up used... Its analbum of Blues musciain who never made it big...... Sometimes thats a good thing as one really catches the essence of the Blues from artists like that.

Another example would be this

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis