Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Not the original 'dust bug' but thoughts on its use/ability ? TLS ?

3db, were you questioning this one over at ASR ? or the original bug ?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not the original 'dust bug' but thoughts on its use/ability ? TLS ?

3db, were you questioning this one over at ASR ? or the original bug ?

The Dust Bug works and the others don't. That one has no bristles in front of the brush. You pull out any dust and catch it with the pad. Cecil Watts studied electron micrographs of LPs to get the tips of the bristles exactly right. After all these years it is the only one that is any good, and that's the truth.

It is your lucky day! There is one for sale right now, and they don't come up very often.

Someone should make it again, as the patents are long expired and Cecil E. Watts died a long time ago.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The Dust Bug works and the others don't. That one has no bristles in front of the brush. You pull out any dust and catch it with the pad. Cecil Watts studied electron micrographs of LPs to get the tips of the bristles exactly right. After all these years it is the only one that is any good, and that's the truth.

It is your lucky day! There is one for sale right now, and they don't come up very often.

Someone should make it again, as the patents are long expired and Cecil E. Watts died a long time ago.
What is that fluid for Mark? I don't have that. I have a nicer cardboard box with mine.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What is that fluid for Mark? I don't have that. I have a nicer cardboard box with mine.
That is anti-static fluid. It will be dried up now, but that is something none of us used. It did more harm than good. Although it released staic, it left a gue on the disc, that attracted dust that the Dust Bug could never remove. So that is something you should never use.

The cardboard box means yours is older. The plastic ones came with later productions. The disposable plastic era had not begun when the Dust Bug first appeared.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That is anti-static fluid. It be dried up now, but that is something none of us used. It did more harm than good. Although it released staic, it left a gue on the disc, that attracted dust that the Dust Bug could never remove. So that is something you should never use.

The cardboard box means yours is older. The plastic ones came with later productions. The disposable plastic era had not begun when the Dust Bug first appeared.
That's what I figured with the box. Glad I have it. The fluid? Glad I don't have that!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Sold! Thanks for the heads up Mark. Whitby is not far from me but the $20 shipping was a rip off considering it's only a 2½ hour drive. :D Still cheaper than getting one from the States I guess.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
So this arrived today from Germany. It sounds fabulous, but I was wrong that it was in Parlogram’s top 10 best sounding list because it has the same catalog number but different matrix numbers. It is VG++ as he described. I did compare it to my 1998 30 anniversary CD which Parlogram Auctions does have in the top 10 best sounding issues ever at number 5. (He said the sound on these CD’s is the closest you’ll get to the original master tapes. (that, to me should put them at number one . He also said that the 1987 stereo official CD issue is the same as the 30th, but the 30th has better indexing and better packaging. So if you have one or the other, you have a gem). On my system, to my ears, I cannot really tell the difference between this LP and the CD, so that’s great.
It is embossed with the title and serial number. Low number 0007009.
(One LP is currently spinning, so only the other one is in the shot)

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Any Beatles experts here? I posted this on the Discogs forum today:

"I need a Beatles expert to pipe in here and explain this! Concerning this issue of the White Album: https://www.discogs.com/release/4211590-The-Beatles-The-Beatles
I purchased a copy just this month on ebay from a seller in Germany. I received it this week. VG+ with poster and photos. Serial number 0007009. So then I see a seller from Germany has one for sale with this same serial number! But no poster or photos. I asked his if he just shipped this to me from an ebay sale. He said: "no, I have it here with me now".
I verified my matrix numbers (it also has the gold sticker on the front in German, which I cannot read) and his Discogs listing and yep, this is the one he listed on Discogs. He is as confused about this as I am. I wonder if the number is not really a serial number and they are all numbered the same. Anyone help out here?"

I would like to know the answer to this mystery!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
A little bit of vinyl news ............

I find the price of new vinyl to be a big turnoff. In fact, since I started spinning vinyl again over three years ago, I have bought a bunch of used records, but just one new record.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Picked up a bunch of new-to-me records this past weekend. These were all C$10/ea. (US$7.50). Some of the covers were in pretty rough shape, but the vinyl is all immaculate.

20240120_161004_resized.jpg
20240120_160955_resized.jpg
20240120_161019_resized.jpg
20240120_161055.jpg
20240120_161109.jpg
20240120_161118.jpg
20240120_161126.jpg
20240120_161135.jpg
20240120_161145.jpg
20240120_161028_resized.jpg

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
In the same batch, I picked up these jazz albums as well.

20240120_161039.jpg
20240120_161047.jpg
20240120_161158.jpg

And, one more album for my daughter.

20240120_161236.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Picked up a bunch of new-to-me records this past weekend. These were all C$10/ea. (US$7.50). Some of the covers were in pretty rough shape, but the vinyl is all immaculate.

View attachment 65451View attachment 65452View attachment 65453View attachment 65454View attachment 65455View attachment 65456View attachment 65457View attachment 65458View attachment 65459View attachment 65461
Those are all great albums. I need to find a mint copy of Fragile. I made the mistake long ago of playing the album while tending bar at home for friends. A few too many drinks lead to a nasty scratch through the first two songs on side B. The rest of the album and cover was pristine. ;_;

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This arrived today. Johnny Cash "American III Solitary Man".
Looking the label and liner for song writing credits and there is none. I see "One" on side one and was hoping it was the Harry Nilsson song covered by Three Dog Night. Nope, it's the U2 "One" from Achtung Baby. Oh well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis