afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I received 4 LP's from Sounds Of Vinyl today, about 4 weeks after ordering for the $10 shipping on each.

The first one I wanted to hear was the Chris Cornell "No One Sings Like You Anymore". What a huge disappointment. It's a picture disk, and poorly done. It has arguably the highest noise floor of any LP I own.

I'll go looking for a quality version of it...on good ol' black vinyl.

View attachment 64531
Sorry to hear about the CC album. I bought the amy winehouse picture disc. I haven't listened to it yet hopefully it will be good. I'll post when I do.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bummer Ken, sadly with the renewed interest in 'Vinyl' there is more poor quality to sort through.

I rarely buy 'new' Lp's anymore (TLS and others have pointed out reasons previous), but when I do I at least try and search out 'analog integrity'. Blue Heaven Studios and ACONY (David Rawlings/Gillian Welch) are but two examples of well engineered and mastered recordings
I buy a fair number of new LP's, both new pressings and re-pressings of older material. A rough guess is that of my approximately 560-570 albums, probably 20% are pressed in the last 10 years.

This is the first of them that I can honestly say I'm unhappy with.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I received 4 LP's from Sounds Of Vinyl today, about 4 weeks after ordering for the $10 shipping on each.

The first one I wanted to hear was the Chris Cornell "No One Sings Like You Anymore". What a huge disappointment. It's a picture disk, and poorly done. It has arguably the highest noise floor of any LP I own.

I'll go looking for a quality version of it...on good ol' black vinyl.

View attachment 64531
Very nice choices!!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Bummer Ken, sadly with the renewed interest in 'Vinyl' there is more poor quality to sort through.

I rarely buy 'new' Lp's anymore (TLS and others have pointed out reasons previous), but when I do I at least try and search out 'analog integrity'. Blue Heaven Studios and ACONY (David Rawlings/Gillian Welch) are but two examples of well engineered and mastered recordings
My experience with purchasing new vinyl that its hit or miss these days. I can honestly say that most of my new vinyl purchases have been good with low noise floor and excellent production. The problem is that TLS locks himself into one specific genre of music which is his loss really. The problem with the classical genre is that there is so much poor mastering out there. Im still looking for a good recording of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5 having picked up 2 poorly mastered productions on CD.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Wowee look that system. Now this is a clean setup and Table/speakers(?) are so cool looking.
Thought I'd share.
IMG_20231208_124247.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
depends on what you're comparing it too, but based on looks alone, I'll take my set up.

ahhhh, spoken like some old codger in his 70's, I somewhat agree, but I'm just '70' !
Good taste never goes out of style my friend!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Obligatory Christmas gift display, 2023. Five or six from my brother in North Carolina, depending if you count The Mountain Goats "the Jordan Lake Sessions Volume 1 & Volume 2" as one or two separate albums, they appear to have been sold that way. Another two from my youngest son, the first two Foo Fighters releases, then one from my lovely wife, The Rolling Stones latest "Hackney Diamonds."

It'll take me a few evenings to get through them all, but they do bring my collection ever closer to the 600 mark. :)

Christmas_Gifts_2023-1.jpg

Christmas_Gifts_2023-2.jpg

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My experience with purchasing new vinyl that its hit or miss these days. I can honestly say that most of my new vinyl purchases have been good with low noise floor and excellent production. The problem is that TLS locks himself into one specific genre of music which is his loss really. The problem with the classical genre is that there is so much poor mastering out there. Im still looking for a good recording of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5 having picked up 2 poorly mastered productions on CD.
Not that I'm trying to speak for TLS, but.....

We all grow up listening to specific music and in England , which is where Mark was born, Classical is a main genre as it is in much of the World. Also, our parents expose us to music, vocabulary, news sources and other info and we follow some of it consciously, or unconsciously. Sometimes, parents want their kids to do, say, listen to, etc what they decide, not everything. Some stay with what they started with, many look for something outside and some MAKE the music they can't find anywhere else.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought McCartney's "Wings Over America" three LP set on Discogs and it arrived today. (I attended that concert in 1976 at the St. Paul Civic Center, btw). It was described as VG+/VG+. Neither were true. Oh, and in the notes they said: "Records are VG++/NM-. A few minor spindle marks". He has a FB profile at 100%, but well under 500. Minor point is that the spindle marks comment is strange to me. Should be called "spindle trails". But that's besides the point. Each LP was laden with scratches to varying degree. Anyway, I told the guy politely what I thought of the description and he apologized and said it was a trainee at his store. He said he needs to train better and sent me a refund and said to keep it. I don't want it though. ha. I will now shop for a better one.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just bought a German-pressed White Album. One of the most superior sounding pressings ever made based on some research I looked into. Very nice price and very reasonable shipping cost from Germany. In VG+ condition. He posted clear photos. I did not even detect spindle trails on the label. Cover is also VG+ with poster and photos.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I thought the little hipster fad of buying vinyl would be over by now. o_O

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I thought the little hipster fad of buying vinyl would be over by now. o_O
Hipster to me might be a guy with a pony tail, or even worse, a bun. Plus possibly an earring or two and a tie-die shirt. And he drives an electric car or perhaps a BMW. I don't fit the bill to any of the above. I just hate CD's unless it's a collectable.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Hipster to me might be a guy with a pony tail, or even worse, a bun. Plus possibly an earring or two and a tie-die shirt. And he drives an electric car or perhaps a BMW. I don't fit the bill to any of the above. I just hate CD's unless it's a collectable.
If you hate CDs this must be your time to celebrate because optical disc in general is just about dead. With that being said there will be a group that will bemoan the future, cherish and hold on to their CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis