Upgrade me to separates!

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
I'll help you via PM< or you can even call me if needed.

Well, it makes it easier to make settings in the DCX2496. You can use laptop or desktop PC. Or you can use the DCX's front panel, but that is much harder because of the tiny LCD screen.

You will get better dynamics.

I don't know. Make sure it has the features you want and pre-outs for all channels. If it has the features you like, I would likely recommend a factory refurbished Yamaha RX-V1700 or RX-V1800. They are high quality, and have very clean fronts with only two dials, and thick polished metal fronts with an attractive look, at least to me.

-Chris
Where can I purchase these refurbished units? Thanks for all the help. I'm going shopping.
Is this gong to be a wow upgrade?

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
I'll help you via PM< or you can even call me if needed.

Well, it makes it easier to make settings in the DCX2496. You can use laptop or desktop PC. Or you can use the DCX's front panel, but that is much harder because of the tiny LCD screen.

You will get better dynamics.

I don't know. Make sure it has the features you want and pre-outs for all channels. If it has the features you like, I would likely recommend a factory refurbished Yamaha RX-V1700 or RX-V1800. They are high quality, and have very clean fronts with only two dials, and thick polished metal fronts with an attractive look, at least to me.

-Chris
Also I thought you just needed a preamp not a receiver when using amps? aren't you paying for the amp in the receiver that won't be used?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Also I thought you just needed a preamp not a receiver when using amps? aren't you paying for the amp in the receiver that won't be used?
Yes and no. Technically, you are paying for the amps channels but since dedicated preamps are so much more expensive than comparable receivers, you're not really paying for the amps so much as saving a ton of money by taking the amp channels anyway.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Where can I purchase these refurbished units? Thanks for all the help. I'm going shopping.
Is this gong to be a wow upgrade?
You can check eBay or try pricegrabber searches.

Here is Yamaha authorized reseller with factory refurbished RX-V1700 with Yamaha warranty ($399.95): http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-V1700-XM-READY-DTS-7-1-DOLBY-DIGITAL-RECEIVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1234Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5632bbbfc2QQitemZ370218352578QQptZReceiversQ5fTunersQQsalenotsupported

Here is Yamaha RX-V3800 factory refurbished w/warranty(absolute latest all features/loaded)(844.99):
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-V3800-RXV3800-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER-W-WARANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1234Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4a98922e55QQitemZ320387296853QQptZReceiversQ5fTunersQQsalenotsupported

I use a RX-V2600(which has even technically better pre-amp stages than the above units; but it has older spec HDMI standards and codecs - I use it only for audio, however) that I purchased a while back.

-Chris

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I will assume you will only want to use DCX2496 on the 3 front channels.

3 x Yamaha P2500S amplifiers (1 for main L and R, one for rear surrounds, 1 for center) 250 watts, 20hz-20,000Hz, for each channel, 8 Ohms. Or 310 per channel, 4 Ohms. This will let you power virtually ANYTHING with ease. Dynamic passages in music/movies is no challenge. You can go with Yamaha P3500S if you want to up that to 350 watts at 8 Ohms and 450 at 4 Ohms. A little overkill never hurt anyone... :)

1 x Behringer DCX2496

1x Serial cable, 25 foot, to connect DCX2496 to your PC for easy setup (or you can do set up front of DCX panel; much harder to do)

1x USB to Serial adapter (to use laptop PC with serial cable)

3 x RCA to XLR adapters (connect reciever/pre RCA outs to XLR DCX inputs)

1x RCA stereo standard patch cables (connect rear surround RCA outs to Samson S convert box)

5 x mono XLR standard patch cables (connect 3 XLR outputs from DCX to C, L and R amp inputs, and 2 for connecting S-Convert box XLR outs to rear surround P2500S amp)

1 x Samson S-Convert (converts RCA output, consumer voltage, to balanced XLR pro voltage to feed rear surround P2500s amp)

1x Harrison Lab RCA -12dB in line attenuator (to reduce XLR pro voltage from DCX output to feed your subwoofer's RCA input) ; or you can use a 2nd Samson S-Convert to feed the sub if you prefer.

1x XLR to RCA adapter to feed sub out from DCX to your RCA input on sub.

I'll have to specify sex of the XLR adapters later, if you are serious about this setup; I keep forgetting off hand, which is for in and for out...

-Chris
+1 for a Tour de Force with this stuff...

Also needed will be measurement equipment and software to help determine what filters need to be set up in the DCX.

1x Reference Mic
1x Phantom Power for said mic
2x Cable for said mic and power connection
1x Room Eq Wizard (free to download from Home Theater Shack)

To the OP, while this route might seem needlessly complicated, I can assure you that the end result will be far superior to anything you have or will ever hear again.

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
+1 for a Tour de Force with this stuff...

Also needed will be measurement equipment and software to help determine what filters need to be set up in the DCX.

1x Reference Mic
1x Phantom Power for said mic
2x Cable for said mic and power connection
1x Room Eq Wizard (free to download from Home Theater Shack)

To the OP, while this route might seem needlessly complicated, I can assure you that the end result will be far superior to anything you have or will ever hear again.
What is the mic for?

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
You can check eBay or try pricegrabber searches.

Here is Yamaha authorized reseller with factory refurbished RX-V1700 with Yamaha warranty ($399.95): http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-V1700-XM-READY-DTS-7-1-DOLBY-DIGITAL-RECEIVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1234Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem5632bbbfc2QQitemZ370218352578QQptZReceiversQ5fTunersQQsalenotsupported

Here is Yamaha RX-V3800 factory refurbished w/warranty(absolute latest all features/loaded)(844.99):
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-V3800-RXV3800-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER-W-WARANTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1234Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4a98922e55QQitemZ320387296853QQptZReceiversQ5fTunersQQsalenotsupported

I use a RX-V2600(which has even technically better pre-amp stages than the above units; but it has older spec HDMI standards and codecs - I use it only for audio, however) that I purchased a while back.

-Chris
Just out of curiosity, is this v3800 superior as it sits to my B&K?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is this v3800 superior as it sits to my B&K?
not really, unless you are going to upgrade for the newest codecs, and are not interested in using your analog inputs. The pre amp section of your unit is top notch;)

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
not really, unless you are going to upgrade for the newest codecs, and are not interested in using your analog inputs. The pre amp section of your unit is top notch;)
My main goal is to upgrade to HDMI for my Oppo and get a great system by going for separates outlined as Chris has suggested. But I think I'm over my budget.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
My main goal is to upgrade to HDMI for my Oppo and get a great system by going for separates outlined as Chris has suggested. But I think I'm over my budget.
If you can wait for the new emotiva pre, it should be the bomb (without going with a unit like the Anthem for video purposes) and an incredible price. The B&Ks current pre offers a great amount of audio tweaking and is a fine unit, and yours is still nice, may I ask what display you have and why cant you run inputs direct to the display? And Chris's suggetion has nothing to do with video.

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
If you can wait for the new emotiva pre, it should be the bomb (without going with a unit like the Anthem for video purposes) and an incredible price. The B&Ks current pre offers a great amount of audio tweaking and is a fine unit, and yours is still nice, may I ask what display you have and why cant you run inputs direct to the display? And Chris's suggetion has nothing to do with video.
I have a Panasonic TH-58PZ800U. This all started when I coudn't get the analog audio on my new Oppo to work with my B&K, so I started down the road of upgrading to HDMI on the receiver side.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I have a Panasonic TH-58PZ800U. This all started when I coudn't get the analog audio on my new Oppo to work with my B&K, so I started down the road of upgrading to HDMI on the receiver side.
What doesnt work?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Can't get sound from the OPPO analog out to my B&K which is why i bought it. Thats when I decided it was time upgrade to the new stuff.
Im not sure why. Im assuming that the multi channel inputs have been selected on the B&K and the appropriate settings in the Oppo have been made.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Can't get sound from the OPPO analog out to my B&K which is why i bought it. Thats when I decided it was time upgrade to the new stuff.
Or somethings' wrong with your setup, or your B&K is ready for retirement. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Im not sure why. Im assuming that the multi channel inputs have been selected on the B&K and the appropriate settings in the Oppo have been made.
Seriously, assuming is one thing, verification by analysis is another.
Recheck your settings, your cablings, your CEC should be disabled (Oppo, TV).
Take your time, found the problem, it will work, I'm sure.
My strong gut feeling is that you select the wrong setting or you miss a small setup detail.

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
Seriously, assuming is one thing, verification by analysis is another.
Recheck your settings, your cablings, your CEC should be disabled (Oppo, TV).
Take your time, found the problem, it will work, I'm sure.
My strong gut feeling is that you select the wrong setting or you miss a small setup detail.
I'll re-look at it from scratch. so any great choices in new hardware. i wish i new which way to go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis