Upgrade me to separates!

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
Check my sig and build me a better system w/ pre/pro and amp to bring me current with HDMI. 2,000.00 to spend.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For new equipment, something like the Onkyo or Integra prepro (e.g. DHC-9.9, PR-SC886P ) plus a low cost multichannel power amp will likely fit within the specified budget but I doubt such a system can better your AVR305 in sound quality. It will certainly bring you "current" in terms of AV features.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, PENG pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
For new equipment, something like the Onkyo or Integra prepro (e.g. DHC-9.9, PR-SC886P ) plus a low cost multichannel power amp will likely fit within the specified budget but I doubt such a system can better your AVR305 in sound quality. It will certainly bring you "current" in terms of AV features.
Ok, along with bringing myself current what can I do for better SQ? What price point?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Is B&K not offering anything along the lines of the 305 that's more current? Actually I see they offer the 705 and 707 now. Or you could get their reference 70 preamp plus any decent multichannel amplifier....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, along with bringing myself current what can I do for better SQ? What price point?
The maximum power consumption of the AVR 305 is 1200W and that's only for 5 channels. It is one of the most powerful receiver available. You do have 4 ohm speakers but if the 305 is giving you enough power reserve now (depends on your listening habits and acoustic environment) then you won't get noticeable gain in SQ by upgrading to a more powerful amplifier. More power is always better but the question is whether that would translate into immediate noticeable gain in SQ. In my opinion you may as well stick to your original budget, get yourself a prepro plus a 300WX5 amplifier as intended; and then upgrade your speakers next. Don't get me wrong you have very nice PSB speakers, but speakers do make more noticeable difference in SQ than amplifiers do.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I don't see any reason to bother with powerful receivers. And powerful is a relative term; these powerful receivers will be weak, when compared to a set of amps such as I recommend further down in this post. It just means more money spent down the road when you want to update to more modern features. Use powerful outboard amps and buy an inexpensive receiver with the modern features you want, and use it's pre-outs. This will guarantee much less money spent down the road, as you can always keep the same amplifiers constant in the system. In addition, you have far more potential to increase SQ when you have outboard amps, because you can insert a powerful processor such as the Behringer DCX2496 inline between the receiver and amplifiers that allow for better sub to mains integration and advanced filters can be applied to both the mains and subs to obtain your ideal sound signature(s) that would otherwise not be possible to obtain. A $400-$500 factory refurbished modern reciever + a trio of incredibly well built/powerful Yamaha pro amps (P2500S) would be one heck of a set up that will not likely ever be subjected to any limitation of the amps! In addition, these amps have very high power efficiency due to their infinitely variable voltage rail power supplies, yet have the guaranteed flawless SQ of traditional class AB amplifier output stages.

-Chris

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
buy an inexpensive receiver with the modern features you want, and use it's pre-outs.
The Onkyo prepro now costs under $800 so don't you think it is a better option than an inexpensive receiver that comes with 7 amps that you will not use anyway?

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi kordon,

1.* Onkyo Pro PR-SC886P ($999.99 at Accessories 4 less). :)

2.* Emotiva XPA-2 ($719 when on sale). :)

3.* Emotiva XPA-5 ($719 when on sale). :)

Start with #1 and #3 (about $1,799), and add #2 later on ( grand total: about $2,598 or $2,438 on sale)

*** The onkyo Pro PR-SC885P is $749.99 (So if you choose that one, your grand new total would be $2,188 if you get the two Emotiva amps on sale).

That's just one of several possibilities, but it ain't a bad one at all. :):):)
@ Post #8 from Chris is another very nice alternative. :)

Cheers,

Bob

Note: Your PSB Stratus Silver i speakers are great, and the Oppo BDP-83, Chapeau! :) Means, Bravo!

Last edited:
K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
I don't see any reason to bother with powerful receivers. And powerful is a relative term; these powerful receivers will be weak, when compared to a set of amps such as I recommend further down in this post. It just means more money spent down the road when you want to update to more modern features. Use powerful outboard amps and buy an inexpensive receiver with the modern features you want, and use it's pre-outs. This will guarantee much less money spent down the road, as you can always keep the same amplifiers constant in the system. In addition, you have far more potential to increase SQ when you have outboard amps, because you can insert a powerful processor such as the Behringer DCX2496 inline between the receiver and amplifiers that allow for better sub to mains integration and advanced filters can be applied to both the mains and subs to obtain your ideal sound signature(s) that would otherwise not be possible to obtain. A $400-$500 factory refurbished modern reciever + a trio of incredibly well built/powerful Yamaha pro amps (P2500S) would be one heck of a set up that will not likely ever be subjected to any limitation of the amps! In addition, these amps have very high power efficiency due to their infinitely variable voltage rail power supplies, yet have the guaranteed flawless SQ of traditional class AB amplifier output stages.

-Chris
When you say "trio" is that an amp for each speaker? I'm just learning separates.

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern

-Chris
i just looked at the Behringer DCX2496 online, waaaaay over my head.

A

allEars

Junior Audioholic

-Chris
Great write up, exactly the way I went today; what a difference it made.
I picked up an Anthem A2 that I connected to Marantz 7500, The sound is much clear and on a few songs I found issues with in the past, now plays crystal clear. Later I will update the receiver to one that supports the latest codec and I will be all set. Not sure I will get a second Amp to run the remaining speakers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
When you say "trio" is that an amp for each speaker? I'm just learning separates.
Chris meant three Stereo Yamaha Pro Power Amplifiers.

Not at all, it's a great value and an excellent tool, perhaps one of the very best tool.
Chris can surely give you much more information than I.

Wait, Chris will be back with the full explanation of this excellent tool, plus the Yamaha power amps that can give a good dose of adrenaline to your system. :)

Bob

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
Chris meant three Stereo Yamaha Pro Power Amplifiers.

Not at all, it's a great value and an excellent tool, perhaps one of the very best tool.
Chris can surely give you much more information than I.

Wait, Chris will be back with the full explanation of this excellent tool, plus the Yamaha power amps that can give a good dose of adrenaline to your system. :)

Bob
and i can get this all done for 2000 grand and have all the latest codecs, HDMI etc?

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
Ok, tell me exactly what buy and how it connects and what to expect when I fire it up! I'm getting excited.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
if you like B&k get a recently updated ref 30 preamp for around 300 and you can get a 3 ch amp and a 2 ch B&K for another 1200 you still have some money for cool cables and you are rockin !! this is what my first true separate system was and still using the last B&K it is amazing the sound

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, tell me exactly what buy and how it connects and what to expect when I fire it up! I'm getting excited.
I will assume you will only want to use DCX2496 on the 3 front channels.

3 x Yamaha P2500S amplifiers (1 for main L and R, one for rear surrounds, 1 for center) 250 watts, 20hz-20,000Hz, for each channel, 8 Ohms. Or 310 per channel, 4 Ohms. This will let you power virtually ANYTHING with ease. Dynamic passages in music/movies is no challenge. You can go with Yamaha P3500S if you want to up that to 350 watts at 8 Ohms and 450 at 4 Ohms. A little overkill never hurt anyone... :)

1 x Behringer DCX2496

1x Serial cable, 25 foot, to connect DCX2496 to your PC for easy setup (or you can do set up front of DCX panel; much harder to do)

1x USB to Serial adapter (to use laptop PC with serial cable)

3 x RCA to XLR adapters (connect reciever/pre RCA outs to XLR DCX inputs)

1x RCA stereo standard patch cables (connect rear surround RCA outs to Samson S convert box)

5 x mono XLR standard patch cables (connect 3 XLR outputs from DCX to C, L and R amp inputs, and 2 for connecting S-Convert box XLR outs to rear surround P2500S amp)

1 x Samson S-Convert (converts RCA output, consumer voltage, to balanced XLR pro voltage to feed rear surround P2500s amp)

1x Harrison Lab RCA -12dB in line attenuator (to reduce XLR pro voltage from DCX output to feed your subwoofer's RCA input) ; or you can use a 2nd Samson S-Convert to feed the sub if you prefer.

1x XLR to RCA adapter to feed sub out from DCX to your RCA input on sub.

I'll have to specify sex of the XLR adapters later, if you are serious about this setup; I keep forgetting off hand, which is for in and for out...

-Chris

K

kordon

Audioholic Intern
I will assume you will only want to use DCX2496 on the 3 front channels.

3 x Yamaha P2500S amplifiers (1 for main L and R, one for rear surrounds, 1 for center) 250 watts, 20hz-20,000Hz, for each channel, 8 Ohms. Or 310 per channel, 4 Ohms. This will let you power virtually ANYTHING with ease. Dynamic passages in music/movies is no challenge. You can go with Yamaha P3500S if you want to up that to 350 watts at 8 Ohms and 450 at 4 Ohms. A little overkill never hurt anyone... :)

1 x Behringer DCX2496

1x Serial cable, 25 foot, to connect DCX2496 to your PC for easy setup (or you can do set up front of DCX panel; much harder to do)

1x USB to Serial adapter (to use laptop PC with serial cable)

3 x RCA to XLR adapters (connect reciever/pre RCA outs to XLR DCX inputs)

1x RCA stereo standard patch cables (connect rear surround RCA outs to Samson S convert box)

5 x mono XLR standard patch cables (connect 3 XLR outputs from DCX to C, L and R amp inputs, and 2 for connecting S-Convert box XLR outs to rear surround P2500S amp)

1 x Samson S-Convert (converts RCA output, consumer voltage, to balanced XLR pro voltage to feed rear surround P2500s amp)

1x Harrison Lab RCA -12dB in line attenuator (to reduce XLR pro voltage from DCX output to feed your subwoofer's RCA input) ; or you can use a 2nd Samson S-Convert to feed the sub if you prefer.

1x XLR to RCA adapter to feed sub out from DCX to your RCA input on sub.

I'll have to specify sex of the XLR adapters later, if you are serious about this setup; I keep forgetting off hand, which is for in and for out...

-Chris
Completely serious but scared I won't be able to handle the setup.
1) what is the laptop for?
2) what can I expect in SQ from my current system?
3) what receiver?
4)thank you

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Completely serious but scared I won't be able to handle the setup.
I'll help you via PM< or you can even call me if needed.

1) what is the laptop for?
Well, it makes it easier to make settings in the DCX2496. You can use laptop or desktop PC. Or you can use the DCX's front panel, but that is much harder because of the tiny LCD screen.

2) what can I expect in SQ from my current system?
You will get better dynamics.

3) what receiver?
I don't know. Make sure it has the features you want and pre-outs for all channels. If it has the features you like, I would likely recommend a factory refurbished Yamaha RX-V1700 or RX-V1800. They are high quality, and have very clean fronts with only two dials, and thick polished metal fronts with an attractive look, at least to me.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis