UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Unless I were local and got a chance to actually examine those in person, I wouldn't touch them, regardless of the cost.

D

Das

Enthusiast
That's about all they made because they didn't know what they were doing and finished the speakers in the wrong environment.
It sure wouldn't help the situation if they were all palletized like this:

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/showImageFullSize.asp?url=/AuctionImages/385/31403/133.jpg&t=Moho%20unfinished%20MFW15%20no

Sadly, from the looks of it there was some thought put into this stacking and foam placement, leading me to believe they were shipped from Cali like this.

Was AV451 selling any A-stock MFW's at the time of closure that would correlate to any of these cabs being good? Some images show definite cracking and damage, but some look clean.

Then there's the fact that they split the MFW drivers into individual lots so some chap whose warranty just went up in smoke can bid on his due replacement.... nice.:mad:

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
Was AV451 selling any A-stock MFW's at the time of closure that would correlate to any of these cabs being good? Some images show definite cracking and damage, but some look clean.
No - the MFW15 was "discontinued" probably a month or more before they closed, and there hadn't even been B-stock MFW15's (complete speakers or cabinets only) listed on their site for several weeks. Since there's no Parts Express "drop-in" replacement amp available, they couldn't sell cabinet+driver combos as B-stock very easily. That doesn't bode well for the quality of the MFW15 cabinets or MFW15 amps in the auction.

I just realized that means the MFW15 went its entire production life without an official user manual. How many years was that? Two and a half years? Three years?

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
I just realized that means the MFW15 went its entire production life without an official user manual. How many years was that? Two and a half years? Three years?
Its all Seaton's fault though, right?

:rolleyes:

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
Where was the Ebony one?? I didn't see that. I LOVE ebony although a lot of it seemed to get fissures over time.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=385&aid=31403&lid=8586318#topoflot

I didn't notice an ebony MFW15, but wasn't paying much attention - the few MFW15 pics I paused to look at had some obvious damage. A rare finish like that left sitting in the warehouse at this stage is likely to have some really obvious defects - there were too many folks with ebony-veneered AV123 speakers who would have jumped at a sub like that in even reasonably good condition for it to be left laying around.
I admit it's awfully difficult to see condition in these pics.. but then again it's a liquidation auction, what more do you expect? :)

Kevin / Sandbagger can help you out if you really want an Ebony subwoofer. He's got an UFW-12 in ebony that he can either sell as an amp only fixed version or BBK it to a 15".
I'm sure for way more than I'm really interested in paying at the moment.. If the price was right I could pick up the cabinet/woofer now, and amp it later... but again, who knows the condition of the enclosure as it is now in the auction. Could be pretty beat up.

Unless I were local and got a chance to actually examine those in person, I wouldn't touch them, regardless of the cost.
+1

..dane

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Its all Seaton's fault though, right?

:rolleyes:
Well, he is one of the shady characters responsible for the demise of VA321. If he would have just been willing to work for free and finished up the hot-rod kit for the UFW-12, the BMF, and the X-plosive, and the manual for the MFW-15 VA321 would still be in business. But no, he wanted to get paid and when he got selfish and didn't want to be a charity any more he sealed their fate. So yeah, it's all Seaton's fault. ;)

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
Well, he is one of the shady characters responsible for the demise of VA321. If he would have just been willing to work for free and finished up the hot-rod kit for the UFW-12, the BMF, and the X-plosive, and the manual for the MFW-15 VA321 would still be in business. But no, he wanted to get paid and when he got selfish and didn't want to be a charity any more he sealed their fate. So yeah, it's all Seaton's fault. ;)
Dang you Seaton!! I did see that the explosive in Moho was in one of the pics. I wonder if it comes with the amp and actually works?? The design was definitely a cool one. Too bad it, along with so many other designs that looked pretty cool, never came out.

D

Das

Enthusiast
No - the MFW15 was "discontinued" probably a month or more before they closed, and there hadn't even been B-stock MFW15's (complete speakers or cabinets only) listed on their site for several weeks. Since there's no Parts Express "drop-in" replacement amp available, they couldn't sell cabinet+driver combos as B-stock very easily. That doesn't bode well for the quality of the MFW15 cabinets or MFW15 amps in the auction.

Huh, that sure doesn't bode well for the reworked V3 amps either. The fact that they wouldn't purchase (have QSC fix) more of them so they could sell additional complete subs is interesting. Could have been they knew they would only create more RMA's by continuing to sell them.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Where would the money come from? ;) :)
Huh, that sure doesn't bode well for the reworked V3 amps either. The fact that they wouldn't purchase (have QSC fix) more of them so they could sell additional complete subs is interesting. Could have been they knew they would only create more RMA's by continuing to sell them.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I've been informed that the beloved Anita Koch Interview with that Secret man has been removed from the Xtranormal site. It seems that someone who is very smart has complained and taken offense at the parody.

However, we do have some words from a member of the Audio Design Groupe. They can be found here.

S

SlushPuppy

Audioholic Intern
That's an excellent find, skeeter. I wonder how well it works?
Remember when MLS said he sold his "reference" $20,000 Goldmund amplifier because he said the X amp was "just that much better"?

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
I thought it was all your fault. You used to work there, right?
It IS all my fault. If I hadn't worked there (for the 7 months I was "employed") they would still be around. I caused so much damage on the net that it really is all my fault. Oh wait, I was the cleanup person trying to help people get their issues (delays, shipping damage, broken subs, finish issues, etc) resolved ... Oh well, it still is my fault :D

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Remember when MLS said he sold his "reference" $20,000 Goldmund amplifier because he said the X amp was "just that much better"?
He probably needed to pay the mortgage and the X-amp might have made a better doorstop. :p

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
That's Mascarey, not Ebony.
Oh, thanks. Looking it up on wetpaint, I see I was confusing "Mascarey" with "African Macassar Ebony" Never paid enough attention to the spelling of that word until today. I thought they were both the same thing!

..dane

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
Oh, thanks. Looking it up on wetpaint, I see I was confusing "Mascarey" with "African Macassar Ebony" Never paid enough attention to the spelling of that word until today. I thought they were both the same thing!

..dane
Oh yeah I can see how that would be confusing. I think they stopped Mascarey because they couldn't get them to stock cracking or something like that. It was a cool veneer though.

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
A quick question ..

Now that AV123 is gone, is av123.wetpaint.com going to disappear as well? It would be useful to keep around to reference old product information (such as looking up the name of that Macassar Ebony I just mentioned).. Who runs that site? Any plans on shutting it down?

cheers,
..dane

D

dane

Audioholic Intern
Oh yeah I can see how that would be confusing. I think they stopped Mascarey because they couldn't get them to stock cracking or something like that. It was a cool veneer though.
cool finish indeed.. all of mine are ebony..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis