"Upconversion" through component video

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I think mtry was having a bit of fun with you, all TV's upscale to their native resolution, some better than others. The real reason for an upscaling DVD player is to take advantage of the "better" scaler in the player than the TV.
It went right over my head. I have very little technical knowledge, and what I do have is confined to audio.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
In the unlikely event that I can actually find the owner's manual, I will check.:eek: I don't remember reading anything like that when I was originally setting it up, though.
Except that if it is a 720p TV or higher, it will certainly has to up-convert a DVD from 480i to display it.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Except that if it is a 720p TV or higher, it will certainly has to up-convert a DVD from 480i to display it.
In that case, an upconverting DVD player would have no advantage, so it's a moot point.
(The more I consider Blu Ray, the more certain I am that I don't want it. I have too much invested in regular DVDs to make them look bad by comparison.)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, after you start watching Blu-ray, the resolution is noticeable when you watch a SD DVD, but it doesn't kill the experience. All of these players upscale standard DVDs too, so they at least do look a little better than before sort of giving them a freshening so it isn't like you are going to toss all your DVDs all of a sudden. I've been mostly buying titles on BD that I didn't have, new titles, and a few that I did simply because they look better on BD.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
The new Oppo 980 will upscale over component any standard DVD that hasn't enabled the flag.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The new Oppo 980 will upscale over component any standard DVD that hasn't enabled the flag.
Yes, but they say right on their website and in the manual that 99% of all commercially produced DVDs do not fall into that category (meaning it will not work via component). I can test it out this weekend.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis