"Upconversion" through component video

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
All of the "upconverting" DVD players I have seen are designed to output 1080i through HDMI. My TV accepts up to 720p through component video inputs. Are there any DVD players that will do this?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
What you are looking for is Upscaling. Upconversion changes Component/S-Video/Composite to HDMI. Upscaling changes the resolution: i.e. from 480i to 720p or 1080i/p.

Most players cannot upscale over component due to CSS copywrite laws :(. I remember an old Zenith player (can't remember the model) that upscaled over component, and also Some players (like the Oppo 970HD) can be hacked to do it. You probably won't find a new player that will do this "out of the box". Good luck.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I found one listing, for something called the "Helios H4000", but is has gotten very poor reviews. The sad thing is that a TV identical to mine but with the addition of HDMI became available within a couple of months after I bought mine!:eek: I love the picture, but have never seen it in its full HD glory.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I found one listing, for something called the "Helios H4000", but is has gotten very poor reviews. The sad thing is that a TV identical to mine but with the addition of HDMI became available within a couple of months after I bought mine!:eek: I love the picture, but have never seen it in its full HD glory.
Keep in mind an upscaling DVD player really won't show you full HD glory, for that you really need an HD source (AKA Blu-ray or HD-DVD). While a quality upscaler will look better than a standard DVD player, it won't be a night/day difference like SDTV to HDTV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind an upscaling DVD player really won't show you full HD glory, for that you really need an HD source (AKA Blu-ray or HD-DVD). While a quality upscaler will look better than a standard DVD player, it won't be a night/day difference like SDTV to HDTV.
I will second this. Upscaled SD DVD does look better than it ever did, but it does not compare to what you will see with Blu-ray or HD-DVD. If you have a large collection of DVDs (that you actually intend to watch), an upscaling player can be of benefit, but going forward I would be looking at a High Def player.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Can HD-DVD or Blu Ray be sent through component, or do they also require HDMI?
I have far too many DVDs to buy them all again in one of the new formats, but a few things would be worth it (eg Planet Earth, The Fifth Element.) As mentioned,the TV (Philips HD tube) accepts up to 720p, not 1080p. This means I might not be able to get the full benefit anyhow.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
HD formats also require HDMI due to similar copyright laws as upconverting players.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can still get an impressive picture with 720p, however as avaserfi mentions most players will not give you what you are after without HDMI. I am pretty sure the current Toshibas (D2/A2, possibly A20) WILL pass content via component, however they will not upscale DVDs via component.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would strongly recommend that you may want to consider a Blu-ray player. I'm no beleiver of HD DVD as a survivable format FYI so I don't recommend people purchase in that direction.

PS3 and all other Blu-ray players will output 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i resolutions via component video and will look phenomenal on your display. This is not upconverted DVD, which is only available via HDMI from these players, but when you purchase (or rent) a Blu-ray Disc you are getting the real deal. Actually better than broadcast HD! Most of all, it works via component video.

If you just want to give HD a try this way, you likely can rent a PS3 from Blockbuster for a few days to see what it's all about.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm. Well, it sounds like I can pretty much forget that idea wihout getting a new TV. (And, the only way I would get a new TV would be if it were larger, which is not practical because of my limited viewing distance. Catch 22.:()
Edit: I typed this before BMXTRIX posted. Blu Ray could be worth a shot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My set is only capable of 720p/1080i also, but it has DVI. You CAN get 720p via component with the PS3.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
All of the "upconverting" DVD players I have seen are designed to output 1080i through HDMI. My TV accepts up to 720p through component video inputs. Are there any DVD players that will do this?
Does your TV upconvert? I bet it does.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My set is only capable of 720p/1080i also, but it has DVI. You CAN get 720p via component with the PS3.
Not on DVDs though.

I rented Night At The Museum and started freaking out when my PS3 switched to 480p mode. (WTF!?!?) I spent 15 minutes fiddling with adjustments and the just sat down and watched. I was a bit bummed.

My wife commented about not knowing that the PS3 could play DVDs. Didn't even register to me as she had already watched the movie.

Three days later, she commented about how Night at the Museum was also available on Blu-ray.

Lightbulb!

You mean the one we got WASN'T on Blu-ray? Didn't even occur to me that the disc could be the issue. Sure enough, our rental was regular DVD and the PS3 happily played it, but locked it in at 480p maximum via my component connection.

Makes me want to rent it again in HD this time. :)

F

fredatty

Enthusiast
For what it is worth, I have a Helios 2085 the version prior to the 4000 and I have no complaints. I first had a NeuNeo player (before it became Helios) and when I had a problem with the power cord becoming loose they without hestitation replaced it with the upgraded 2085. It must be 2+ years old and I have not had a problem and think it does improve PQ on my 42" Panny Plasma. I note that Helios is coming out with a new unit in August for $99. I would not rule it out if I had to purchase a replacement although I have yet to compare the 2085 head to head with the 440P through component off my new Toshiba A2 which is clearly better with HD-DVD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Makes me want to rent it again in HD this time. :)
Yep, that would be the downside. All upscaling players that I've seen will not scale SD DVDs via component AFAIK.

My video place didn't have Night At The Museum on BD on the shelf when I rented it either....so I rented the SD and when I returned it I saw the BD on the shelf. Not good enough for another rent IMO...

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Yep, that would be the downside. All upscaling players that I've seen will not scale SD DVDs via component AFAIK.
This is the same with PS3 and XBOX 360, they will not upscale standard DVD's over Component, PS3 will over HDMI and XBOX360 will over HDMI and VGA. CSS comes back to bite us again.....:eek:

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Some players (like the Oppo 970HD) can be hacked to do it. You probably won't find a new player that will do this "out of the box". Good luck.
the Samsung HD-950, which you can probably find cheap on e-bay also has hack codes for 720p, 1080i and region-free.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Does your TV upconvert? I bet it does.
In the unlikely event that I can actually find the owner's manual, I will check.:eek: I don't remember reading anything like that when I was originally setting it up, though.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
This is the same with PS3 and XBOX 360, they will not upscale standard DVD's over Component, PS3 will over HDMI and XBOX360 will over HDMI and VGA. CSS comes back to bite us again.....:eek:
So it is not a hardware issue, it is a legal issue? I am not sure if I even want to try and find a way around that. (I have zero ability at "hacking".)

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
So it is not a hardware issue, it is a legal issue? I am not sure if I even want to try and find a way around that. (I have zero ability at "hacking".)
Yep, component cables are perfectly capable of carrying a 1080p (also 720p and 1080i) signal with no problems. For example, you can play a game at
1080p on a 360 over component, but cannot upscale DVD's. I think mtry was having a bit of fun with you, all TV's upscale to their native resolution, some better than others. The real reason for an upscaling DVD player is to take advantage of the "better" scaler in the player than the TV.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis