Type of products you would like more reviews of ?

Type of products you would like more reviews of ? -

• Receivers

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Preamps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Preamp/Processors

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Amplifiers

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Loudspeakers

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • DVD/CD Players

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Displays/Projectors

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other (post below)

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
The new HK AVR-7300 will be sent to us as soon as they are done with it (not out yet)

BTW, their specs state:

The AVR 7300 delivers massive power output of 7 x 110 watts (into 8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, <0.07% THD, all channels driven, 125 watts x 2 in stereo), with a remarkable ±75 amps of high-current capability, to effortlessly drive even the most demanding loudspeaker loads to generous volume levels.
Thought you'd like that. :)

E

ericb

Audioholic Intern
which ones

Eric said:
<font color='#000000'>I listened to a set of Canton's on a Rotel amp a few months ago - yuk. &nbsp;
</font>
Which line? I auditioned paradigm studio 100's as well as the Canton Karats on both a pioneer elite and denon 3805 receiver. I love Paradigm, but I walked away with the Cantons. See. we need a review :)

I would also like to see more or even some pioneer products. I know they are hard to get a hold of etc. but please be persistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

<font color='#000000'>How about:

Yamaha RX-V1400/2400 vs. Pioneer AX3/AX5i ?</font>
An excellent suggestion from the previous guest.
Comparison of Pioneer AX5i vs Yamaha 2400 and Denon 3805 would be very useful.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Receivers and power amplifiers.

For the power amps, how 'bout stuff we can afford? Say under $1500 each piece?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I would also like to see more or even some pioneer products. I know they are hard to get a hold of etc. but please be persistent.
My advice to anyone wanting us to review Pioneer receivers is to write or call them directly and request it. Its difficult finding a good contact with them.

Also, regarding affordable amps, I will soon be publishing a review of a couple of 7CH $2k amps. Hope that helps out.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

gene said:
My advice to anyone wanting us to review Pioneer receivers is to write or call them directly and request it. Its difficult finding a good contact with them.
Maybe this will help:

Ms. Amy Friend
Director, Corporate Communications
Pioneer Electronics USA
Tel 310 952 2507
Email
2265 East 220th Street
Long Beach, CA. 90810

If not I am sure she might help point us in the right direction.

B

BeerMe

Enthusiast
You guys seem to do alot of reveiws on Harmony remote controls. How about doing a reveiw on the Pronto or the marantz touch screen remotes?

I like the 'wow' factor of these but don't know how well they work, ease of use or the programming of them.

John.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Double Blind Comparison Testing

Audioholics made a name for itself by dispelling cable industry myths. This was a big deal for me personally, validating my beliefs with scientific proof.

So let's get serious and start shaking up this industry with true, scientific double blind comparisons of value brands versus esoterics. Everything from speakers to power cables. Set up the testing like the famed NRC so it's completely unbiased, invite a mix of neophytes and golder ear types and let the chips fall where they may.

The only problem I see with this strategy is the esoteric brands fearing the results, but if they're as good as the subjective reviews and tenfold prices sugguest, they should have nothing to fear. Hell, let the designers themselves participate and see if they can hear a difference!

The following article is exactly what I'm talking about.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

I've preached about this before because (to my knowledge) it's just never been done. And if Audioholics won't do it...then who will?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Doing controlled and accurate DBT testing is both time consuming and very involving. We have only seen them truly done correctly by the likes of Harman and the NRC. So far no credible source to our knowledge has been able to depict sonic differences in controlled DBT of cables.

In the future we do plan on doing control DBTs on cables as kinda a fun exercise, but die hard audiophiles will always object, find flaws in the test gear, equipment, music source, moon alignment, etc to discredit the results.

The reality is, there are far more important and productive things one can do with their time, like getting the room acoustics and speaker/room interaction correct. Most well designed cables barely have measurable, let alone audible differences. Simple fact, avoid the poorly designed cables and you will be fine. Get the speaker/room equation correct and the fidelity of your system and your enjoyment of it, will increase infintely more than fussing about cables.

In closing, remember our mantra that only poorly designed cables may sound "different".

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
DIY Kits

Hey how about a sound off of Speaker DIT Kits!!?? That could be fun...ease of build, etc...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hey how about a sound off of Speaker DIT Kits!!?? That could be fun...ease of build, etc...
Good idea, but you would be surprised how tight many of these companies are about sending out product to review. We can get $10k gear from hardware manufacturers but parts suppliers won't send 10cents worth of liquorish.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
gene said:
Good idea, but you would be surprised how tight many of these companies are about sending out product to review. We can get $10k gear from hardware manufacturers but parts suppliers won't send 10cents worth of liquorish.
Is that a personal jab? :D

D

DECIBEL_KING

Enthusiast
Preamps and amps ...

I think the preamp/amp combo should get more reviews. I feel that the receivers have been well covered but there could be more info on preamps. Also speakers there just can never be enough reviews on speakers. I think it is almost everyone’s favorite to read reviews on.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
How about doing some comparrison reviews of systems using receivers as a pre/pro. For example: Setup a Hometheater with identical speakers interconnects, TV/Monitor/Projector, Power Amp, etc.

Do a comparrison using mid to high end receivers as the pre/pro versus a mid to high end seperate as the pre/pro.

I'm curious to find out if there is that much of an improvement going from a higher end receiver as the pre/pro to a seperate pre/pro with all other components being equal.

H

heroesunplugged

Audioholic Intern
Universal Remote Radioshack's Kameleon 8-in-1

I recently purchased a RShack Kameleon 8-in-1 Universal/Learning Remote control and really recomend that it get a review by the staff. It takes a while to get everything setup but it is well worth it.

So far I haven't run into a problem with setting it up for any component I own. The remote has learning capabilities too so this is helpful in getting it setup for controls that the original remote has but isn't readily available via the program codes. You can get one right now for $69.99 if you go to the RS website and print the coupon so you can get $20 off the regular price. Even at the regular price of $89.99 it's a steal. For some reason the RS here in Longview, TX had it tagged for $79.99 so I got it for $59.99. An addition $10 off verses the website. BEFORE YOU BUY IT ONLINE VISIT YOUR LOCAL RS. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SAVE AN ADDITIONAL $10.

Two other things I like about it is the ability to program macros to power on and select initial settings via the macro keys and the ability to "cross-train" the remote to control features on two different components via a single components keys. In other words, you can setup controls for your DVD player, on the TV's control pad.

It's cheap, backlit, versatile and user programmable. For those who need a good replacement for their oem audio receivers remote it's great. Even if it doesn't get reviewed it's worth a try. You can always take it back if you don't like it so all you will be risking an hour or two of your time.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis