Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I have some other projects I need to complete first though.
You know how it's always easy to make other people's lives better with your own wondrous wisdom? I would say you'd do better completing the projects you want to complete ... otherwise it's not fun and if it's not fun then it's work and if you're not getting paid then what's it all about?

Try sharing your enthusiasm for audio with Hudson and Polly ... while you feed them treats. Their level of comprehension is roughly that of a Bose owner and their hearing is better. You're the only person I know that has jumped on this band wagon out of all the people that I have talked to. I guess my friend Eddie has been dragged along by me but that's only because he couldn't hook up his rec'r at first and then I needed to unload some speakers to facilitate my own upgrade. He sees it differently now but at the time he thought he was doing me the favor. If I had left Eddie alone with his 18 gauge wire running along side the 120V Romex for 50' to his surrounds he would still be saying "white noise" with a shrug and not a care.

Having said that I gotta get to Eddie's garage to change the timing belt
and water pump on the fofo. I love Eddie ... I want to have his babies. :)

Edit:

Someone once asked my why I wanted speakers so big, they only got in the way. I didn't answer.
... but you never forgot and that person has never been back. :D
That's too funny. I can just picture the exchange. I'm not at that level of audio zen. I'm working on it though. I need to look up that 'pearls to swine' quote from the bible and memorize it's location then just use the chapter and verse to close questions designed to enlighten me about how stupid my interests are.

There's a lot of things I really enjoy. Most of them are really bad for me and everybody else involved. Audio is pretty harmless in the scope of things I call a good time. I guess I need to understand that most people don't have the same appreciation for music and movie sound tracks. They on the other hand understand everything and don't need me telling them that there are like 3 octaves missing from their 19" CRT's and their stereo shelf systems would sound better with the speakers spread out ... and toed in ... and pulled away from the wall. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I look forward to dealing with veneers. I have those Overnight Sensations sitting in my garage waiting for some cheap walnut veneer I bought. Yes, I know, I'm terrible with my speaker time lines :rolleyes:. I did get a couple pieces to stick nicely but my method was not very repeatable. The good fellas on the race team have agreed to lend me an old vacuum pump so that I can vacuum bag my veneer. I think this is going to be the way to go. I have some other projects I need to complete first though.
What method did you use? I've use the contact cement method, and it worked OK. I did it outside in decent weather. The trick I had to learn was to get the veneer to lie down without trapping air that leave bubbles. Start in the center and work your way out to the edges. Practice on scrap wood before you do the real job. I've only veneered small bookshelf speakers, the CAOW1s, nothing bigger.

I've read about the wood glue and hot iron method, but never tried it. It seems like it might be easier to do than the contact cement method. Similarly, I've only read about the vacuum pump method, never tried it as I don't have the stuff required. The pump and the bags are expensive.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
You know how it's always easy to make other people's lives better with your own wondrous wisdom? I would say you'd do better completing the projects you want to complete ... otherwise it's not fun and if it's not fun then it's work and if you're not getting paid then what's it all about?
It would be nice to only work on projects that I want to work on, but the fact of the matter is that I've been fortunate enough to accumulate a lot of tools and as a consequence, I've run low on space in the garage. Because of this, there is this cloud of expectation that follows me wherever I go. Since I have the tools, I'm expected to do things myself. "He who is given much, much is expected", or something like that. :rolleyes:

Not to mention I would consider myself to be cheap when it comes to stuff I need. The carpets need replacing? How much? I think I'll put my own flooring down, thank you. We need to take the car in to the dealership? For what again? I'll just go ahead and fix that myself.

With that, however, comes a certain amount of pride that you can take away from it. I remember when we did our miniature remodel job of the living room, our house was torn apart and I was stressing pretty bad for about 3 months there but I kept telling myself that when I was done, I was going to sit on the couch, put on some easy listening, and stare at my work for as long as I want. And sure enough, that's exactly what I did. Now, when people come over and they pay the room a compliment, it's pretty nice to say "I did that."

Alex2507 said:
You're the only person I know that has jumped on this band wagon out of all the people that I have talked to.
I got started at an early age when it comes to messing with speakers. I remember getting my first system was I was in the 4th grade. 30 watts with these thumpin' 5 inch woofers with dual, yes dual, bass ports. A year later, I had figured out how to hook it up the TV and was experimenting with the placement of the speakers to get the lowest bass possible.

At this point, I was obsessed. I had speakers hanging from every wall in my room and had taken the speakers out of just about every piece of electronics in the house that had a speaker in it just so I could play with it. I remember getting a cardboard box that was about the size of my 19" Sanyo TV and installing all different size speakers in it from all the random pieces of equipment I found, wired in parallel. My receiver would shut down on me daily.

I was burnt out on speakers by the time I got into college because out of all the speakers I had, none were really of any quality and I didn't have any concept of balanced sound. There's something to be said for working with what you have and making the best of it but I didn't even do that.

When you started to visit and showed me the Audioholics website, it reignited the fire that laid dormant for so long. I get to tell Erin it's YOUR fault. :D

What method did you use? I've use the contact cement method, and it worked OK. I did it outside in decent weather. The trick I had to learn was to get the veneer to lie down without trapping air that leave bubbles. Start in the center and work your way out to the edges. Practice on scrap wood before you do the real job. I've only veneered small bookshelf speakers, the CAOW1s, nothing bigger.

I've read about the wood glue and hot iron method, but never tried it. It seems like it might be easier to do than the contact cement method. Similarly, I've only read about the vacuum pump method, never tried it as I don't have the stuff required. The pump and the bags are expensive.
The Overnight Sensations that I built had curved cabinets so the sides were a little difficult. I took a piece of MDF and made enough cuts in it to where I could bend it to the contour of the cabinets. I then applied the glue and used the flexible MDF to put pressure on the veneer.

I was never able to get a good bond. There were a lot of air bubbles and the veneer actually separated in some spots.

I've done my fair share of vacuum bagging carbon fiber parts so I'm familiar with the process. I think the most expensive part about it is going to be the pump. Initial set up may take some time but I think it should be fun. If/when I do get to it, I'll definitely post some pictures.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis