Total Newb Questions

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
So, are you suggesting I use the 153 as a center channel as well?

Also can you guys recommend wire and connectors? I don't want to have to upgrade the wires anytime soon because I am going to put alot of effort into concealing the wires. My rear wire runs will be about 30 feet long.
Thanks!

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Monoprice.com has everything you need for wires. Get a 100' spool of their 14-gauge in-wall speaker wire for about $25 and HDMI cables in whichever lengths you'll need. Their premium RCA cables will work well if you're going to be sticking with the old receiver.

Speaker cable connectors are an unnecessary expense. They make it easier to hook things up and are pretty, but you're looking at ~$30-$50 for a low-end full set. With your budget I'd rather put that money into speakers.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
So, are you suggesting I use the 153 as a center channel as well?

Also can you guys recommend wire and connectors? I don't want to have to upgrade the wires anytime soon because I am going to put alot of effort into concealing the wires. My rear wire runs will be about 30 feet long.
Thanks!
Yes you can use the 153 as a center and it will be just fine. For the price of the small center they want ($150 on amazon) you could order two of the 153s as a center and still be better off.

But if I had to make a strong suggestion, it would be to order those 363 towers for $400 total, assuming you can fit towers in your living space. Even with no center, those would be a helluva front sound stage.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I hope this doesn't confuse you more... For your situation, these may be perfect and you can get all 5 at once for $75.00 a pair. You can use one for a center channel, then it will be perfectly timbre matched to the other 4 speakers. When you get the new 5.1 receiver though.

They may have them at your local BestBuy so you can audition before you buy.

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speaker Pair (SS B3000) at Vanns.com

Then to fill out the 5.1, get this sub.

BIC America Venturi V1020 Subwoofer - 160 Watt

Good luck!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
This "hobby" is an obsession for most of us and a money hog. It is easy to loose sight of the end goal. God knows we love to spend other peoples money and will run you into the ground, smiling and patting your back all the way down ;).

Please stick with your budget and don't overspend.

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
This "hobby" is an obsession for most of us and a money hog. It is easy to loose sight of the end goal. God knows we love to spend other peoples money and will run you into the ground, smiling and patting your back all the way down ;).
HAHAHA, yeah ive been keeping that in mind, these are just occasional use accesseries to me, my personal obsession is mountain bikes, which is were I lose all my real money.

I think the sony's are too big, and would look awkward in my living room. I think the 153's are about as big as I would want to go. I'm starting to lean towards ordering that Pionneer 521 from Newegg for $189 and a pair of the Infinity 153's. Then I can always add more later..

are the hdmi cables and 14ga wire all i need? I already have a few hdmi cables. So really all i need is the wire. What about those toslink cables? do i need any of those?

About the reciever, I will probably never use the 3D or the Sirrius features, with that in mind is the Pioneer 521 still the best buy available?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Let me reiterate what Adam and I both said earlier: You can use newer, better speakers with your current unit. Those that say you cannot are not being honest.

I used my current HT speakers with said DPL unit for over a year until I saved a few more bucks and decided on a newer "digital" receiver with all the featres I needed, and the sound was awesome. Ading the digital processing when I jumped for a new, better than BOTL receiver, it just got better.

So, for the best impace, go for five good, matching speakers now, maybe even a subwoofer if you can swing it, and save up for a better than bottom of the line receiver. You'll be glad you did.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Let me reiterate what Adam and I both said earlier: You can use newer, better speakers with your current unit. Those that say you cannot are not being honest.

I used my current HT speakers with said DPL unit for over a year until I saved a few more bucks and decided on a newer "digital" receiver with all the featres I needed, and the sound was awesome. Ading the digital processing when I jumped for a new, better than BOTL receiver, it just got better.

So, for the best impace, go for five good, matching speakers now, maybe even a subwoofer if you can swing it, and save up for a better than bottom of the line receiver. You'll be glad you did.
I don't think anyone is lying to him, just noting that the good deals are there and that he absolutely could benefit from a new receiver almost as much as he could new speakers. And I agree, receiver deals are more seasonal than speakers, so now is a great time to get a deal on a receiver.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
True. A compete argument would be, you can use 5 speakers and a subwoofer with the old receiver no problem, just not in a proper 5.1 configuration.

Heck, IMO, don't even bother with the center and side speakers for now. Just rock the best towers you can afford. (without a receiver change :))

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
True. A compete argument would be, you can use 5 speakers and a subwoofer with the old receiver no problem, just not in a proper 5.1 configuration.
True, but a DPL system with adequate power and good speakers and subwoofer can still be quite satisfying. I ran a DVD through my DPL receiver with my current speakers for well over a year and it sounded awesome.

Let me put it this way: The switch to the better speakers with my old DPL receiver was much more of an audiable improvement in overall sound than the switch a year later to a "real" 5.1 DD/DTS recever with the same (better) speakers.

Heck, IMO, don't even bother with the center and side speakers for now. Just rock the best towers you can afford. (without a receiver change :))
valid option. Depends on how far the waiting game he wants to play.

Plus, receivers keep getting better, cheaper, and more feature laden as time goes on. Speakers, not so much

Last edited:
Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
You won't be sorry with that purchase. Would the 153 have been better? Yes. Will the 143s be great? Absolutely. Good purchase.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Your next step is...

..start saving for a nice subwoofer. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I pulled the trigger on the Primus theater 5 pack:

Infinity Primus™ Theater 5-pack II Home theater speaker package at Crutchfield.com

I realize the p153s at newegg are probably a better value than the 143's in the pack, but I went with the 143's due to the smaller physical dimensions.. They wont look quite as out of place in the room. I'm pretty excited to get them in and see how they sound.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Nice! Thanks for the update. Best of luck setting things up.

Damn Noise!

Damn Noise!

Audioholic Intern
I was able to find a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver for $249, if you shop around you could too.
The nice thing about this receiver is it has "pre-outs" which some of the new receivers don't have unless you go high-end.
And this being last years model you can find them for cheap.

So far I like this unit real good and it got good reviews.
Good luck and ROCK ON!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis