Total Newb Questions

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
So I'd like to buy some new speakers, and possibly a reciever, for my living room, but I know very little about audio equipment and I'm looking for some advice. I currently have a 42" panasonic plasma hdtv, a bluray player, a Pioneer VSX-505s reciever, (circa 1996, a hand me down from my father-in-law) and some big Sony stereo speakers from the early '90s.

I would like to improve my sound system. I would like a setup that is good for both watching movies and listening to music.
I have been looking at this set of speakers:
Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System (Set of Six, Black) at Amazon for $399

They seem to get pretty good reviews and seem like they would be good for my purposes, however these would be at the high end of my budget. I assume the reciever I have would not push these speakers to thier full potential, but I was hoping to maybe buy these speakers, and get some improvement over what I currently have and then mayber upgrade the reciever later on down the road when funds permit.

So my first question is: Will my reciever work ok? Or would it be totally rediculous to use those speakers, even temporarily with that reciever?
Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Upgrading incrementally is what a lot of people do, and starting with speakers is a good choice. Your VSX-505 should work just fine with those Energy speakers. Although I didn't find a spec sheet on that receiver, those speakers have an 8-ohm impedance rating, so they shouldn't be a difficult load for that receiver.

I think that you will notice a big difference in surround sound when you do get a chance to upgrade your receiver. I can say that going from Pro Logic to Dolby Digital was a huge improvement for me, and you can get into the even newer lossless audio codecs (like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) along with auto calibration in receivers that cost $300 or less.

Enjoy your new speakers! Those look like nice ones.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
To be fair, the Energy Take can be had for $200 without the sub, but for $50 more, this is miles ahead of the Energy Take.

Eventually add one of this sub, name your price $350 (from another recommendation here),

IMO, keep the receiver for now, eventually get one with HD audio features.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Just realized that you have to upgrade the receiver before you will even have use for 5.1 speakers. I'd say this will be sufficient and fits the budget asking with the Infinity speakers.

Leave three sub for last but definitely don't forego it since the Infinity package won't give you the low end rumble.

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
FYI my room is about 15 feet x 25 feet with a 2, 7 foot wide openings into the kitchen and foyer.

It appears the speakers Infinity speakers you suggested are $299 unless I buy the open box for $269, so at retail they are $100 more (33%) than the Energy take classic without the sub. If the Infinti speakers you suggest are WAY better I could get those and add a sub later. But if the difference isnt that much better I would rather have the Energies because at the $400 package price, they come with a sub. I really have very little understanding so I appreciate your input.
Could I temporarily use the old Pioneer amp? even though is not a 5.1 reciever, with the Infiniti speakers? I realize it woulndt sound as good but if it will not damage the speakers or reciever in someway, and I can delay the reciever purchase, then I could afford a more expensive reciever later on down the road.

Upon inspecting the rear of the reciever it appears to have a place to plug in a center channel, a L and R front speaker, a sub, and 2 rear speakers. It appears that it is putting the 2 rear speakers on the same channel and that is why it isnt considered a 5.1 reciever..Once again I really apreciate your input.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi - yes, your receiver will work just fine with either of those speakers systems. I checked it out before to verify what you stated above - that it will hook up to all five speakers and a sub.

You won't hurt anything getting new speakers for that receiver. As you said, though, you won't be taking full advantage of the new speakers until you're able to get a newer receiver that will play the true, discrete 5.1 audio codecs.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You can use a modern "5.1" speaker system with your unit until you upgrade to a true "5.1" receiver.

As you've noticed, in those days before digital audio and Dolby Pro Logic (DPL) was all there was, the two surround channels were actually the same and the subwoofer output wasn't a separate LFE channel. You'll need to adjust the subwoofer but that's no big deal.

But, it will work well enough for you to enjoy a nice home theater effect until, you do upgrade your receiver. But, when you do go for the modern receiver, you won't regret it.

(Pssst... I still use a DPL receiver in the bedroom, but don't tell the snobs here, :D)

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
As far as I can tell, the receiver doesn't even do Dolby Digital.

You need a new receiver. The Pioneer 521 is $134 right now at Newegg, and IMO you should pick it up immediately before you do anything else.

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
Ok thanks a ton guys, based on your feedback, it seems like I will be sticking with my current reciever for at least a few more months then, especially since at least 50% of my intended use is just music (cd's and Pandora).

Can I get some more feedback on the Infiiniti set for $299 - no sub, versus the Energy take classics with sub for $399 ? I like the fact that the Infiniti system is at least $100 cheaper and is possibly better quality sound, but if I buy the Infinitis, I will probably be using it without a sub for 6+ months. But then again I've never had a subwoofer, and probably dont know what I would be missing either way. I assume either one of these systems will be way beter than anything I've ever had. Actually right now I'm just using the built in TV speakers, we moved to a new place a few months ago and I never setup my stereo speakers because they dont really sound that much better than the tv speakers.
Thanks!

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
As far as I can tell, the receiver doesn't even do Dolby Digital.

You need a new receiver. The Pioneer 521 is $134 right now at Newegg, and IMO you should pick it up immediately before you do anything else.
I realize my reciever is ghetto, but I think my current greater need is speakers, in time I will get a good reciever. (I cant spend too much at once and piss off the wife...) lol

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Good speakers are completely pointless when you're trying to build a home theater system around a receiver that only accepts stereo input.

The 521 is probably one of the best deals you will ever see on a modern receiver. Speakers don't really change in price much.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I realize my reciever is ghetto, but I think my current greater need is speakers, in time I will get a good reciever. (I cant spend too much at once and piss off the wife...) lol
I agree, although it can be six of one, half dozen of another. I upgraded my receiver first back when Dolby Digital hit the market in the 90s, and while it was very (very) cool to here things in stereo in the rear speakers, the overall sound quality wasn't that great until I got my new speakers.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I'll chime in and second going with speakers first. I did the opposite route and really kicked myself for it.

I highly recommend the Infinitys over the Energy. That Energy sub will be a real compromise. Although I recommend this over the infinity pack:

Newegg.com - Infinity Primus P153BK Two-way Bookshelf/Wall-mount Loudspeaker Each

Just buy 5 of those and that would be a GREAT little system. Add your sub next, then a receiver and you will have a wonderful setup. Those P153s from NewEgg will be better than the P143s that come in the pack.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
guggas, is there anywhere nearby where you can audition those speakers to help you decide?

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
hmmm, I like the idea of buying those speakers individually, especially if they are cheaper and better than the ones in the pack. I could buy em two at a time, just to be sure I like them.

As far as demoing the speakers, I honestly don't know where to find speakers like this to listen to...where should I look? I live in a fairly large city(Austin Texas)

G

guggas

Audioholic Intern
Good speakers are completely pointless when you're trying to build a home theater system around a receiver that only accepts stereo input.

The 521 is probably one of the best deals you will ever see on a modern receiver. Speakers don't really change in price much.
I very well may pick up that reciever, especially if I dont end up buying all 5 speakers at once, I just want to get settled on which speakers first.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As far as demoing the speakers, I honestly don't know where to find speakers like this to listen to...where should I look? I live in a fairly large city(Austin Texas)
Best Buy carries the Energy line of speakers, including that 5.1 set. I checked Austin, and they don't show any stores as having them right now. Maybe it's worth calling to see if they have any set up to listen to, though.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, they also have the 821 for $189. Stupid good deals.

Anyway, the sale ends 1/30.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
I will change my mind. If they have the 821 for $189, buy it and 3 of the Infinitys right now. That is $339 and you would have a good start with a 3.0 system. Then I suggest getting a nice set of towers for the front and moving the P153s to the rears.

Here is some more fuel to the fire:
Infinity P253BK
Infinity P363BK

Those P363s and that 821 would be $589 and the start to a great system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis