Toshiba INCREASES HD DVD Marketing

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think downloads will be THE solution, but they will be a factor for sure. Physical media likely won't go away completely, but it will take a back seat. There are a lot of things that need to be put in place first though, and we are years from that.

Physical media is just as easy to damage/destroy as it would be to lose a hard disc, and physical media also has a life expectancy; they are not everlasting gobstopers, so there is no advantage to either.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
In the meantime, I still got my Oppo doing a great job, (SACD/DivX/SD/etc). :D
And then, once this 'war' is over (if there's a 'end') I will decide wich way I wanna go. Fortunally, by then, players are going to be more reliable, I hope. and about that Oppo you ask ?I will always have that extra bedroom for it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would say by now, you can basically say that blu ray has won, and a PS3 would be your best bet for a blu ray player. I would suggest if you can afford it, you get a used PS3 to use as a blu ray player, since it's the simplest to upgrade due to it's lan and wi-fi connection, and since it's a major product for sony, they will be constantly putting out updates for it, and the load times are among the fastest of any blu ray player out there due to the sheer power of the cell processor, and the video quality is just as good or better than the rest of the players on the market, and it upscales very well too. And on top of all that, you get a killer gaming console, and a nice media server, plus it also plays SACD (except the 40 gig version) and I believe it also supports divx as of the last update, although I haven't actually burned a divx disc to try, it will play some divx encoded video files on my media pc.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The download sollution is the ABSOLUTE best idea. But until we get some companies to get off their butt and provide us enough bandwidth it might be awhile. We are a bandwidth hungry society.

I still say that companies need to move away from the mechanical drive optical media. No matter what they do it will still be "just another shiny spinning disc."

Toshiba has lost the war and just doesn't want to tell it's stockholders.

Got to give Clint his props.http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/10-more-reasons-hd-dvd-failed/?searchterm=both will lose
HDDL is the future, but it most definitely isn't here yet. Any concept pushed forth that HDDL is the here and now is seriously misinformed of the current market conditions for broadband.

Only about 25% of US households have broadband... How many do you think have DVD players? What do you think the market is for Blu-ray? It isn't just 100% of the market, it's 100% of the worldwide market. So, while HDDL sounds like a good idea, it is a LONG way from becoming anything approaching a standard and only works for certain people in very specific markets.

Moreso, most of the downloads currently available are rentals - not purchases, so you don't get to enjoy the movie again and again... but if you did, you would have to consider just what this will cost consumers.

You say - quick broadband downloads - sounds great!

I reflect - terrabytes of necessary storage space to accomplish storing more than a few dozen movies at the quality, and with the extras which Blu-ray currently delivers. Configuration settings, networks going in and out... Most of all, the hard drive failure.

This isn't a joke by a long shot - if your hard drive fails, and you have 50 movies on there, are you expected to live with the expense of not just the hardware, but your movie collection as well? Last time I replaced my DVD player, the new one didn't require me to repurchase the EXACT SAME DVDs because I got a new player.

What a scam!

On the other hand, I could see HDDL becoming a true replacement for movie rentals. 100% availability of all titles, HD titles formatted for your specific display (1080p? 720p? 480i? No problem!) Movies that download weeks ahead of 'release' but software controlled to prevent viewing until release day.

An onscreen rental queue that is similar to Netflix or BB Online... yet from the TV and even less hassle than the near hassle free experience many enjoy now.

The hard part with all this remains - AppleTV is hardware. Vista requires hardware. It all requires a hard drive that consumers are required to purchase and until enough of them do, it's all just iPod fodder.

If a Netflix teams up with Comcast or Cox - then things could get really crazy with HDDL video rentals very quickly. I think a key is the fixed monthly fee and a solid user interface.

S

spacedteddybear

Audioholic Intern
I don't know if this has been posted yet;
The downfall of HD-DVD: Clicky
Warning FOUL LANGUAGE AHEAD!

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Any cheap HD DVDS Yet?

Since alot of people are claiming that Blu-Ray has won(Pros and Novices Alike), I am wondering if anyone knows where I might find some "Cheaper" priced HD DVDS for sale. (Preferrably online) I have both players, and they were both gifts for this past Christmas.(Panasonic's DMP-BD30 and Toshiba's HD-A35). I was hoping to find some cheaper prices on new releases that are on HD right now-because of the recent format war update. But, the HD DVD prices don't seem to be budging yet. Anyone have any advice, or info on where I might find some price breaks? Just trying to save some $ if I can.
Thanks everyone! Joe B. :)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Since alot of people are claiming that Blu-Ray has won(Pros and Novices Alike), I am wondering if anyone knows where I might find some "Cheaper" priced HD DVDS for sale. (Preferrably online) I have both players, and they were both gifts for this past Christmas.(Panasonic's DMP-BD30 and Toshiba's HD-A35). I was hoping to find some cheaper prices on new releases that are on HD right now-because of the recent format war update. But, the HD DVD prices don't seem to be budging yet. Anyone have any advice, or info on where I might find some price breaks? Just trying to save some $ if I can.
Thanks everyone! Joe B. :)
Joe,

I will only say the "battle" is over when Toshiba announces their first Bluray player.:D Try deepdiscount.com

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Since many people seem so concerned about waiting <60 seconds for a BD/HD disc to load, I wonder how they'll feel when they try to download a 30-50 GIG file off the internet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just last night I saw TWO HD DVD ads on TV in the span of one 1hr show. Clearly they are stepping up advertising.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
HD DVD isn't losing because of advertising, they aren't losing because of price.

They are losing because of CE and studio support.

As is always the case, people want choice, and they have their favorite manufacturers that they will buy into regardless of price. People forget that the CE company that is most despised (Sony) is the same company that is most trusted. People forget that companies like Panasonic, Samsung, and Pioneer draw loyalties and $$$ based upon their brand name. Toshiba, while well respected for years, is no Sony or Samsung. They are huge, but never one of the forefront choices for consumers when considering a CE purchase.

So, when it comes down to an accurate assesment of the format war - when looking at CE companies - it is Toshiba vs. everyone else. Those are the odds you bet against with HD DVD... EVERY other major CE manufacturer.

Unlike SACD and DVD-A which was actually split among manufacturers... and hit a totally different market segment... Blu-ray has nearly unanimous support with CEs with them developing product from the ground up. It is dismissed as Sony vs. Toshiba, but Sony stand alone players only represent about 60% of the market. Yes, the majority, but not the 100% that Toshiba is. 40% of Blu-ray stand alone player sales are generated by companies that are NOT Sony.

I think if Toshiba had gotten HD DVD into the X360 and managed to get a few more manufacturers on board then things would be far, FAR better for their format.

The studio support has always had a slight bend towards Blu-ray as well, with only Universal originally being HD DVD exclusive. It had been like 85% to 50% for Blu-ray vs. HD DVD in studio support. Come May it is, as of now, going to be about 70% to 30% in favor of Blu-ray.

Pricing is a big boost, but only if it sells movies. If people buy HD DVD players then just rent some movies, or use it as an upconverter, then there will be no reason for Universal or Paramount to not go neutral... at the very least.

2007 was indeed interesting, but 2008 may be far moreso.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis