Top 10 Guitar Players all genres

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
There is much more to playing the guitar than the penatonic scale, three chords, special effects and loud amplifiers.
You've dashed all of my hopes and dreams of being a guitar hero. The video games lie, the video games lie.:(

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
A lot of greats mentioned thus far.
I'm not a guitar player, nor a musician of any kind for that matter. so from a technical standpoint I couldn't tell you why one guitarist is any better than another. But from a stylistic point of view I just know what I like, and there are two guitarists that I haven't seen mentioned yet (excuse me if they have and I've missed them), that just make me smile when I listen to them play.

One is the super smooth Ian Bairnson, he's not flashy, I guess I would describe his playing as completely effortless. I heard him once say something to the effect that it's not so much the notes you play as it is the notes you don't. And that thought comes across in his playing.

The other is Camel's Andrew Lattimer. He plays with an emotional style that reminds me, at times, of David Gilmour. At times his notes drip emotion like few others I've ever heard. He's recently been seriously ill and I hope and pray he makes a full recovery.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This seems to be a list more catered towards "10 most popular guitarists" and not 10 most skilled.

While I like a good deal of Eric Claptons music, he is IMO one of the most overrated guitarists in the business. His blues stuff is all standard chord progressions that any decent guitarist can play.

There seems to be alot of great jazz guitarists missing on these lists as well. I am glad to at least see Larry Carlton's name come up but man are you guys missing a lot of true legends such as Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour, Chieli Minucci, etc. But these type of lists are almost always more about popularity than actual skill.

Here is a prime example of crap:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time/

to even have the Nirvana guy on this list simply turns my stomach. :(

No doubt that Steve Howe is one of the best in rock and you simply don't find people of his skill set in that music genre these days.

I like Eric Clapton as well but I'm not his biggest fan either. I do have to say that Eric Clapton deserves to be in the list of top 10 guitarists. His acoustic guitar skills are simply amazing and these are NOT standard chord progressions.

I know its difficult ot compare styles but I wonder if classical guitarists in general are better than their rock counterparts in terms of dextarity and simply just play more notes more cleanly than their rock counterparts. Any opinions on that?

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I like Eric Clapton as well but I'm not his biggest fan either. I do have to say that Eric Clapton deserves to be in the list of top 10 guitarists. His acoustic guitar skills are simply amazing and these are NOT standard chord progressions.

I know its difficult ot compare styles but I wonder if classical guitarists in general are better than their rock counterparts in terms of dextarity and simply just play more notes more cleanly than their rock counterparts. Any opinions on that?
I used to play both -- starting out playing rock and later got into classical. They are really very different things. Classical guitar requires a lot of training. You have to read music and understand theory, counterpoint and musicianship. Then it's just you and your guitar on stage when you are finally ready to play. Most of times you play music written by someone else. That means you can't improvise. You have to play exactly as it's written. And there is no room for mistake. If you so much as hitting single note wrong it will stand out like sore thumb. Not missing the notes is not enough. You have to make your guitar sing to become a virtuoso. Anything less means your career as a performer is over. This is why you don't hear of undeserving or lucky virtuosos in the classical music world.

Rock, on the hand, is a lot fun. You play in a band with other people. You can play the same song a hundred different ways and no one would care. Your audience is too drunk or spaced-out to notice anyway. You also have a lot of equipments that help you play a little better. I had eight of these little boxes connected to my amp. I used them to get particular sounds out of my guitar. I had one that make the notes last forever -- kind of like what Carlos Santana does. The fun part is you can be an average guitar player and still the girls and even a recording contract.

I would say they are different things. I enjoy both.

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
I see alot of people saying Jimmy Hendrix is in the top 10. While i like alot of his music, and he was a talented guitarist, he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as most of the guys talked about in this thread. He was more of a visionary, than a guitar talent, I think most of his visions were drug induced :p He was a one hit wonder, and to explore that a lil more the one song he did, that made it to the top 10 in the billboards, was a cover song from someone else. All Along The WatchTower i believe it was. Im not saying any of this to start an arguement, everyone is entitled to what they think.
I never seen Roy Clark Mentioned in any of the posts either, although i didnt read them all. He is worthy of the comment. Roy is truely an amazing artist, If it has strings, Roy can play it! Right now i would have to say based solely on guitar playing ability alone, nothing else, Yngwie Malmsteen has all others beat. Im not even a fan of Malmsteen , but he is the man irreguardless of the fact. My favorite Player/composer is E. Van Halen
Next is Buckethead, then Satriani. My favorite composer of music is Freddie Mercury, and Allen Jackson.

Peace,
Tommy

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Jeff Healy passes away today at the age of 41, renowned guitar player.

Praise for guitarist Jeff Healey pours forth
Mar 04, 2008 04:30 AM
The Canadian Press

Tributes to jazz and blues guitarist Jeff Healey poured in yesterday as musicians and fans expressed surprise and sadness over the loss of the renowned artist.

"Jeff was one of Canada's greatest talents, it is a huge regret to have to say goodbye," rock star Bryan Adams said in a release. "Wherever you are, Jeff, we remember rocking with you."

Guitarist Randy Bachman said he felt blessed to have befriended Healey. "He was a wonderful spirit, a stunning guitar player, a soulful singer and a real Canadian treasure," said Bachman in a release.

Healey died in a Toronto hospital Sunday at age 41 after a battle with cancer that robbed him of sight when he was a baby.

The guitarist rose to stardom with the Jeff Healey Band, winning international acclaim with 1988 album See the Light.

Healey's prowess was characterized by a style that saw him lay the guitar across his lap. It led him to share stages with Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B. King.

"There's been players that played upside down and backwards – Jimi Hendrix, Albert King – that's unorthodox enough. And then Jeff made that look trite," said bluesman Colin James.

Staff at Healey's downtown bar, Jeff Healey's Roadhouse, said they spent the day fielding calls and emails from around the world.

"Our city was enriched by his presence as he showcased not only his own unique genius, but the virtuosity of others at ... venues he established to further the musical cause," Mayor David Miller said.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am familiar with Jeff Healy by name, but haven't actually heard his work.
I suppose sales of his records will increase now, which seems rather morbid.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I am familiar with Jeff Healy by name, but haven't actually heard his work.
I suppose sales of his records will increase now, which seems rather morbid.
You'll be amazed at what this guy could do with a guitar. I'm really saddened by this.

D

Daniel Caswell

Audiophyte
I can't belive no one mentioned Duane Allman you hit around him but never said him.
Also Ray Davies of the Kinks.
Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker. Rick Derringer.
How about Les Paul with out him just about none of them would have the same sound.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I can't belive no one mentioned Duane Allman you hit around him but never said him.
Also Ray Davies of the Kinks.
Toy Caldwell of Marshall Tucker. Rick Derringer.
How about Les Paul with out him just about none of them would have the same sound.
Les Paul was mentioned.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Just saw this today. There is no better, first of all. You do your best for the style of any music. Whether its flamenco, jazz, classical, rock, folk, whatever, there are different things that are called for. Overall, classical is the most technically challenging, IMO. But, I sometimes view them the same way I view all instruments: every instrument and every music is the hardest, lol. Some disagree with me, of course.

Technically gifted rock guitarists have very dexterous left hands. I guess Im talking more about speed-demons. The best make many a classical player quite jealous. I think dexterous is not the right word, its more "coordinateed" as far as minimization of wasted movement, and complete coordination with the right hand, er, pick. The instantaneous relaxation of the muscles after exertion, which in of itself should only be the minimum required.

As far as cleanly... well I think its a lot easier to play an electric more cleanly than a classical. "Clean" is everything for the better pro's With the best, you can't hear a squeak, not the finger on the string, any harmonic from a string off a fret, any nail noise on the string, no unwanted over-lapping fundamental or harmonic in any particular moment. Its just different kinds of difficult. However, my friends that are versed in both say that classical is way harder. I don't think its the instrument, but the music being played that dictates this.

Even some very old music, say early-late 16th century, requires simultaneous, multiple voices. Its tough for various reasons on a piano, but lets take a guitar. It is very, very hard; way more difficult than people would expect to have a continuous crescendo or decrescendo on just a single line (I mean without any lull by having the same volume for two consecutive notes). Especially on today's modern classicals, when the strings change from nickel-wound (or tungsten or whatever) to nylon (or vinyl or whatever). Then if you practice on old dead strings, you're screwed when you put on new ones, since not only the volume of the bass strings change so much with it, but also any harmonic warmth, given any instrument. If you are working towards a big performance, having new strings on all the time during practice is recommended for particularly contrapuntal music.

Now try taking 3 simultaneous lines. No, lets just try 2. Can you imagine how hard is to have one line get continuously quieter and quieter, while another line gets louder and louder. Of course, its your right hand's fingers that determine this. Nevermind that the left hand probably looks like a deranged octupus. Well, even music that's 400-500 y.o. can have many simultaneous lines, often 4, if not more. Anyways, when I first tried working on this stuff, usually the best I could do with total utter concentration was to have one good crescendo/decrescendo, but with the other was at a static volume. Even that is way harder than you think.

So two lines in contrapuntal music. I’ve only hit upon gradual dynamics. What about articulation? It is damned difficult to produce a staccato note in the middle of one line (perhaps desired to bring out a particular musical affect of any given subject/theme), while “smoothly” playing another. At least is it is on the guitar. So, your right-hand finger hits the string being plucked immediately afterward, w/o creating any unwanted extraneous noise… meanwhile your free fingers from your left hand are purposefully touching other strings to stop over-ringing from previous notes. Its quite the choreographic event. Add more voices, or more speed, even tougher. This even for 500 y.o. music.

Once you get into tougher material, you'll see a lot of works written on multiple staves, just as it is with piano. I've even seen 6 staves, one for each string. Usually just two, and sometimes the lower for more simplistic purposes, like a passacaglia, etc.

I personally find that having strong crescendos in the inner line is the most difficult, by far. Paul Galbraith can do this extremely well, and it makes me just sick. Some actually use a rest stroke, while outer voices are as free-stroke, and I've never succeeded with that.

Then, there are others who cheat at the recording studio. I leave that to the jury to decide. There is an interesting article by Glenn Gould, I think it was probably the Prospects of Recording, where he is rather fine with that. His philosophy also led him to forgo public performances altogether, in preference to the perfection he could find in the studio. IIRC, he talks about the A-minor fugue from the WTC I, and takes two completely different emotional takes on the same work, cuts out the entire middle of the more joyful take, and just drops it straight into the more serious take. Its a pretty sick and difficult fugue anyways. I remember once playing the recording for a very talented jazz guitarist during my college days, at the end he just took off very quickly without saying a word as he was quite mortified. ;)

Gould also spoke of an opera singer that could not hit some really high note. They stuck in a note from a different person’s recording! (The Glenn Gould Reader is a very fun read, a compilation of all of his published writings). One super-cool idea he had for the classical music audiophile is to have a 4.0 system, for a 4-voice fugue, one speaker per voice to get the full effect of their individuality. He wrote that he never got around to trying it. I’ve used his idea in past rehearsals and had other musicians in the corners of a room, hehe. Tough exercise in getting the same level of “togetherness” that a group might be used to.

Continuing the whole “cheating” thing, Christopher Parkening had his Allegro from the PFA as we call it (Prelude, Fugue, Allegro) extremely manipulated by EMI. See, back in the day Van Cliburn was the American pianist. They were trying to promote a similar thing with guitar, or perhaps an Americanized Segovia. Now, I am not a fan at all of Parkening, but anyways they took every single attack of the hundreds of notes from the Allegro, and snipped off every single “attack”! Ton of editing. Uncannily smooth, like a clarinet. How’s that for cheating?! :eek:

There’s a ridiculously virtuostic guitarist named Tilman Hoppstock from Germany, who I believe heads the famous composition department, or at least some important aspect of it, of the Darmstadt school, of Boulez, Cage, Stockhausen, Berio, etc, fame. Also an excellent cellist having recorded Rachmaninoff with his father. Anyways, yet another “cheater”… he takes some Paginini caprices and has his ultra-fast hammer-on scales getting louder, which is a virtual impossibility. Undoubtedly, he is taking part in Gould’s philosophy. :p

Wow, how the heck did I end up here? Lol……

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard some amazing guitar far outside of popular genres like rock and jazz. Michael Hedges (new age), Armik (flamenco), Leo Kottke (folk/bluegrass), and Ali Farka Toure (blues) all come to mind.

K

kenhoeve

Audioholic
I see alot of people saying Jimmy Hendrix is in the top 10. While i like alot of his music, and he was a talented guitarist, he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as most of the guys talked about in this thread. He was more of a visionary, than a guitar talent, I think most of his visions were drug induced :p
While on the surface I see how this is perceived, I think you have to consider further that this is a guy who was absolutely shattering boundaries. It was evolution at full throttle. I think that kind of genius, the creative kind, is just as important and probably moreso than technical skill measured in a traditional sense. Who's to say what he could have done if he were to focus on more traditional faire?

And as for Clapton, I am a firm believer in the players who are triple threats, voice, tunes, and guitar playing. Once again, their creativity can elevate the whole package with a certain dynamic. These are guys like BB King, Jimi, SRV. They belong because the sum of their skill is much greater than the individual quantities.

W

wafflesomd123

Banned
Any list of the Greatest Guitarists that doesn't include Yngwie is invalid by definition!:D
I would take him off, because his music sucks.

I don't care how good you are, if your music sucks, there's no point in listening.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja

I don't care how good you are, if your music sucks, there's no point in listening.
It would almost be worth seeing him in concert just to hold up a lighter and yell "Eeng Vay! Eeeeeeng Vay!":D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

I agree with you up to a point, my favorite guitar player is Steve Vai but I do not like the vocals, the majority of his stuff is really chessy but I absolutely love the song Tender Surrender which is my favorite guitar track of all time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis