K

kaudiochol

Audiophyte
I am addicted to Audyssey Bypass L/R + Audyssey Dynamic EQ for everything because it enhances my bass experience.

I also never ever use the Audyssey VOLUME feature.

That's why I would never buy anything without Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
I registered just to say thank you ADTG. I just tested the Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ and finally I solved the problem of listening to music with my sub (i.e. proper bass) without tampering with the sound (Audyssey). Up to now I was using Audyssey off completely and manual sub boost + 6 dB, but that was not perfect.

Now, if I can only find a work around to disable Audyssey on the center and surrounds during movies (let Audyssey work only on the sub) that would be the ultimate solution.

I am considering getting some of the newer AVR models which supposedly are supported by the Audyssey app... not sure how well that works.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am considering getting some of the newer AVR models which supposedly are supported by the Audyssey app... not sure how well that works.
The app won't allow you to bypass the center channel either but if I understand right it will allow you to adjust the overall EQ frequency range of the EQ for each channel pair. The center channel is not a "pair", but I assume the same should apply to it too. So if you can set the range to say 20-200 Hz then you should not get much EQ effect in the center channel for the higher frequencies, effectively bypassed.

http://www.avsforum.com/denon-marantz-launch-audyssey-multeq-editor-app/

For a definitive answer you can try to email Dr. Chris Kyriakakis and you never know, he may reply..

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The app won't allow you to bypass the center channel either but if I understand right it will allow you to adjust the overall EQ frequency range of the EQ for each channel pair. The center channel is not a "pair", but I assume the same should apply to it too. So if you can set the range to say 20-200 Hz then you should not get much EQ effect in the center channel for the higher frequencies, effectively bypassed.

http://www.avsforum.com/denon-marantz-launch-audyssey-multeq-editor-app/

For a definitive answer you can try to email Dr. Chris Kyriakakis and you never know, he may reply..
He could always try their Ask Audyssey site. May get a good answer there too.

K

kaudiochol

Audiophyte
Yes, I would be happy if we can limit EQ to bass frequencies only - that would be great :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I registered just to say thank you ADTG. I just tested the Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ and finally I solved the problem of listening to music with my sub (i.e. proper bass) without tampering with the sound (Audyssey). Up to now I was using Audyssey off completely and manual sub boost + 6 dB, but that was not perfect.

Now, if I can only find a work around to disable Audyssey on the center and surrounds during movies (let Audyssey work only on the sub) that would be the ultimate solution.

You welcome. :D

Yeah, I mentioned this some time ago, but at one point I had dual Funk 18" subs and dual Rythmik 15" subs. Even when I boosted the Subs to +10dB, I could never get the bass I wanted. Then I tried Dynamic EQ and played around with it. And it was like flipping that light switch and night turned into day. :D

Ever since then I've been preaching Audyssey Dynamic EQ (Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ).

But I agree with you about wishing that Audyssey would allow Bypass for ALL CHANNELS + DEQ, instead of just Bypass L/R + DEQ. So it would be "Audyssey Bypass L/R/C/SL/SR + DEQ". :D

But that's too much to ask. Audyssey doesn't want anyone to even BYPASS Audyssey in the first place. So I guess we should consider ourselves lucky for being able to Bypass L/R. :D

To be even more complete, I've played a little bit with Anthem's ARC Dolby Volume Leveler (DVL), which is the equivalent of Audyssey DEQ. And I could never get the ARC DVL to produce that bass I love from Audyssey DEQ.

But that's where preference comes in - some people (like you and me) absolutely love DEQ, while others think it's too much for them and prefer something less "dramatic", although Audyssey does allow the user to adjust the level of DEQ. :D

I don't know if DIRAC or Lyngdorf even has an equivalent to Audyssey DEQ.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still find/use previously answered questions via searches, just don't think Chris K is actively answering there anymore, but does post on Facebook....

Well then. Audyssey royally screwed up their site. There used to be tons of technical info. Not so much now.

K

kaudiochol

Audiophyte
You welcome. :D

Ever since then I've been preaching Audyssey Dynamic EQ (Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ).

But I agree with you about wishing that Audyssey would allow Bypass for ALL CHANNELS + DEQ, instead of just Bypass L/R + DEQ. So it would be "Audyssey Bypass L/R/C/SL/SR + DEQ". :D

But that's too much to ask. Audyssey doesn't want anyone to even BYPASS Audyssey in the first place. So I guess we should consider ourselves lucky for being able to Bypass L/R. :D
Yes, I also believe Audyssey Bypass L/R + DEQ is the way to go. And since I also do not like that the surrounds are boosted by DEQ too much - at least for my setup - I went ahead and calibrated all speaker volumes with samples from calibration disk while all processing is engaged. In my case, surrounds were boosted about 5 dB compared to the fronts, and they are a bit closer than my fronts so that was getting on my nerves. Now I have my fronts untouched, and all the rest where Audyssey tinkers are level matched. It sounds very smooth and right for my preference :) I listen to a lot of music blurays so will have to settle that center and surrounds are EQ'ed, but that is the compromise we need to live with for right now. Also, I may be hitting the Direct button for those specifically.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis