M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I have a Yamaha RX-V1700 and I plan to upgrade. I am down to two choices.
Yamaha RX-A1060 or the Marantz SR-6011.

What do you all think? I will be only running 5.1 at the moment, but I want to make sure that I don't have to upgrade for a few years. Planning to use a 4K tv, netflix, amazon prime and possible an apple TV. My issue now is that my RX-V1700 does not decode DD+ so movies in netflix and amazon prime are only coming on stereo since I am using my Blue Ray player as my source for netflix.

I heard that the sound quality on the marantz is great, but I also have read about issues with HDMI drop outs. I like my yamaha, but for many years I have also wondered if a Denon or Mrantz AVR would sound better.

I have read good reviews about the SR-6011, but I would like to hear from you guys.

Any recommendations from actual owners or based on other insight?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think in Direct Mode, you can't tell the difference between any of these AVRs.

But some of us prefer certain EQ.

I am addicted to Audyssey Bypass L/R + Audyssey Dynamic EQ for everything because it enhances my bass experience.

I also never ever use the Audyssey VOLUME feature.

That's why I would never buy anything without Audyssey Dynamic EQ.

But some people only like Direct Mode. If you feel the same, then the Marantz or Denon will not sound any better.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the Marantz, but I wanted to hear from prior and/or currents owners.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like my Denons very much, also my older Onkyo with Audyssey (before they ditched it for AccuEQ). The basic sound quality differences among those or even my old basic pre-hdmi Sony avr are more in the dsp/room eq differences rather than the basic units in direct mode.

HDMI handshake issues may be less with the Yamaha as they go thru HDMI certification whereas apparently D&M hasn't (maybe their new owner United Sound could change that down the line?). I haven't had any particular HDMI handshake issues with my avrs, altho my old Pioneer that died did; I have had some HDMI CEC issues when using ARC (which requires that feature enabled generally) but I just disable it and use a universal remote so no problem.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I've had a long list of receivers come thru my home in the last two years, mostly Denon and Marantz. Several exhibited various issues and forced me to question my own brand loyalty to Denon.

I bought a Yamaha, and couldn't be happier!

That said... Seriously consider your future living situation/upgrade possibilities. Buying any new receiver simply for a codec can be a costly mistake when the need to 'upgrade' is felt in only a year or two.

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I really don't want to buy a new AVR for a codec, but I am not able to experience 5.1 surround when streaming netflix or Amazon Prime. Considering that I also need a new TV, it seems like it is time to upgrade. I just can't make up my mind on the brand.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really don't want to buy a new AVR for a codec, but I am not able to experience 5.1 surround when streaming netflix or Amazon Prime. Considering that I also need a new TV, it seems like it is time to upgrade. I just can't make up my mind on the brand.
Then maybe think about a player with codecs and connection options to take advantage of your current avr....no particular ideas and it may take a chance on a refurb or used unit these days, but....

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I still find this odd that streaming services don't allow good old Dolby Digital or allow it to be converted in Pro Logic II... But I don't stream anything except on Youtube/itunes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I still find this odd that streaming services don't allow good old Dolby Digital or allow it to be converted in Pro Logic II... But I don't stream anything except on Youtube/itunes.
PLII should be handled by the avr.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot of folks love their Yammys, for good reason. I've owned both and you can't go wrong with either, but as ATGD said, I along with some others, prefer Audyssey's room correction over YPAO.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
HDMI handshake issues may be less with the Yamaha as they go thru HDMI certification whereas apparently D&M hasn't (maybe their new owner United Sound could change that down the line?). I haven't had any particular HDMI handshake issues with my avrs, altho my old Pioneer that died did; I have had some HDMI CEC issues when using ARC (which requires that feature enabled generally) but I just disable it and use a universal remote so no problem.
Huh?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've had some minor handshake issues with my Denon and the one previous. Nothing that lasted for more than a second or two and only when switching sources or resolution. Far from being a dealbreaker, imo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Info per member mcode previously posted....Yamaha pays to go thru HDMI certification whereas D+M group avrs (Denon, Marantz) were not doing that. Under previous ownership at least, new ownership is Sound United (got it twisted around in my previous post) and perhaps this could change.....better?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Info per member mcode previously posted....Yamaha pays to go thru HDMI certification whereas D+M group avrs (Denon, Marantz) were not doing that. Under previous ownership at least, new ownership is Sound United (got it twisted around in my previous post) and perhaps this could change.....better?
I believe that Denon has HDMI and other video certifications through ISF which they pay a lot for. The main HDMI site has a ton of information, so I may have missed it, but I don't see where they list console manufacturers as being certified, but they do list A LOT of stuff such as cable makers. Good bad or indifferent, Yamaha has long had a reputation that they will not pay for ANY cert/codec/shinny name etc that they can do themselves, and I believe that that's been their MO for a while now.

In other words, if for instance HDMI was making everyone have a certification, then Yamaha would play ball because the industry has spoken on HDMI, as they have on other codecs like Dolby and DTS. If Yamaha doesn't need to have a certification, then they simply will not buy it. So, if we assume that there is an HDMI certification which if achieved will provide benefit, and AVR makers can spend cash on this certification then Yamaha will just make it to the spec needed, and insist that the Yamaha plate is all the customer needs to rely on.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I thought DD+ was backward compatible with DD? Guess not. Or maybe it is player specific.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I believe that Denon has HDMI and other video certifications through ISF which they pay a lot for. The main HDMI site has a ton of information, so I may have missed it, but I don't see where they list console manufacturers as being certified, but they do list A LOT of stuff such as cable makers. Good bad or indifferent, Yamaha has long had a reputation that they will not pay for ANY cert/codec/shinny name etc that they can do themselves, and I believe that that's been their MO for a while now.

In other words, if for instance HDMI was making everyone have a certification, then Yamaha would play ball because the industry has spoken on HDMI, as they have on other codecs like Dolby and DTS. If Yamaha doesn't need to have a certification, then they simply will not buy it. So, if we assume that there is an HDMI certification which if achieved will provide benefit, and AVR makers can spend cash on this certification then Yamaha will just make it to the spec needed, and insist that the Yamaha plate is all the customer needs to rely on.
Never dug into it myself, just going on what @M Code , an industry guy has reported on the subject, here's a quote from a thread earlier this year:
"This needs clarification..
The primary reason Marantz and Denon products have issues with HDMI/HDCP compatibility is that their products are not certified. Instead they do their own self-certification in-house which falls short, especially for interoperation compatibility with other brands/modesl HDMI products. The only primary brand that has HDMI/HDCP certified AVRs is Yamaha, note that the cost of HDMI/HDCP is expensive ($35K/platform) and delays 1st shipments by 4-5 weeks."

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Never dug into it myself, just going on what @M Code , an industry guy has reported on the subject, here's a quote from a thread earlier this year:
"This needs clarification..
The primary reason Marantz and Denon products have issues with HDMI/HDCP compatibility is that their products are not certified. Instead they do their own self-certification in-house which falls short, especially for interoperation compatibility with other brands/modesl HDMI products. The only primary brand that has HDMI/HDCP certified AVRs is Yamaha, note that the cost of HDMI/HDCP is expensive ($35K/platform) and delays 1st shipments by 4-5 weeks."
DLNA Certification

strangely, ISF does not have a wiki.... Denon and Marantz use ISF certification (with the exception of the DLNA 1.5 (ca.2006) cert for connectivity between Mac/PC)

The primary difference being ISF's stated mission is dedicated to improving the quality of electronic imaging (mostly through offering classes).

DLNA is intended to ensure interoperability between connected devices. So on the topic of interoperability/connectivity standards, yes I would say MCode was correct in saying Yamaha is Certified.

That does not mean Denon/Marantz products have inferior video quality, just that they may be more prone to connection issues (that I can attest to) which lets be honest, HDMI is one big connection issue! So it's great that Sony had the foresight to help start DLNA to ensure everyone keeps that crappy connector 'shaking hands' indiscriminately!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Since we've hi-jacked your thread, I can at least try to bring it back by asking, how do you have your streaming services connected to your AVR? I wonder if making a second audio only connection via optical/toslink would solve the problem?

M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I thought DD+ was backward compatible with DD? Guess not. Or maybe it is player specific.
I was under the impression that DD+ can't be decoded on an AVR that does not have DD+. I say this because I only hear my L+R speaker when streaming Netflix.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis