thinking of putting this sub together... thoughts?

B

bandit

Audioholic
I"ve taken a look at the Behringer amps - you are correct - the ones I looked at can handle 4 ohms bridged with no problem.

If I were to order an EP1500 - it will do 900 watts bridged into 8 ohms which would be perferct for getting the driver with dual 4 ohm coils wired in series. Driver is rated for 1000 watts so that seems really reasonable to me.

Or... I could order the driver with the 2 ohm voice coils and have a 4 ohm load - into which the EP1500 would deliver 1400 watts. This is a bit beyond the drivers max power rating - but I wonder if that is actually a bad thing.. as long as it is not contantly abused. I would think the driver could with stand an occasional peak of 1400 watts.. This Behringer EP1500 can be had for about $190 new online. Really reasonable. Any drawbacks to that unit vs. the EP2000 or EP2500 like you have?

Bandit.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I am the blindest guy.. not sure. But I just noticed in AE's website that they do some cabinet work as well.

Anyhow - In there kit they mention 15" passive radiatiors - but it was a slightly different part #... that I don't see in there products. It was something like PR15-1500 vs. 1400. They must have changed the lineup slightly. The cabinet was 2.8 cubic feet.. May be the way to go. I thought the cabinets were nicely done. Thanks or the tip on the driver - I didn't know what the difference was.

You can get some real good deals on some of the amps as you mention. I'm a bit fussy about fan noise. Doesn't look like most of them can be operated in bridge mode at 4 ohms which may be an issue if used in bridge mode.

I see that the driver can be purchased with dual 2 ohm vc's or dual 4 ohm vc's. Any advantage one way or the other? Dual 4 would allow a series connection of 8 ohms where the options are greater for amps if trying to operate them in bridged mode. I'm not sure if this (voice coil selection) effects the drivers performance though.

Bandit.
I suggest most folks keep it simple.

http://www.creativesound.ca/products.php?make=CSS

Has many very good subwoofer kits with good amps, P-Rs and cabinet plans.

For around 400 shipped you can get all the components for a sub.

These subs are XBL^2 motor based which isn't as good as the TC Sounds stuff, but with the P-R you get better extension anyway. Plus there is no fan noise.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There is a lot of workmanship in a good sub enclosure, and it has to be paid for with cash or sweat equity.
I will point out Subs are much easier than other speakers though. They only need box strength and some back wall fill or lining. Outside of that there isn't much else.

Of course good tools aren't cheap and would cost you 500 at least.

annunaki

annunaki

I"ve taken a look at the Behringer amps - you are correct - the ones I looked at can handle 4 ohms bridged with no problem.

If I were to order an EP1500 - it will do 900 watts bridged into 8 ohms which would be perferct for getting the driver with dual 4 ohm coils wired in series. Driver is rated for 1000 watts so that seems really reasonable to me.

Or... I could order the driver with the 2 ohm voice coils and have a 4 ohm load - into which the EP1500 would deliver 1400 watts. This is a bit beyond the drivers max power rating - but I wonder if that is actually a bad thing.. as long as it is not contantly abused. I would think the driver could with stand an occasional peak of 1400 watts.. This Behringer EP1500 can be had for about $190 new online. Really reasonable. Any drawbacks to that unit vs. the EP2000 or EP2500 like you have?

Bandit.
You would have no issues with an EP1500 mono into 4 ohms. I would do the dual 2 ohm sub in series if it were me. Headroom is underestimated.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis