The truth about power cords?

E

Electone

Audioholic
I have visited many audio forums on the net and have read endless posts about the "miracles" of aftermarket power cords. Some of these cords have absolutely ridiculous prices, sometimes costing more than the equipment they are used with.

Most walls are wired with 14 gauge romex that is unshielded and passes through all sorts of building materials (wood, metal, plastic, etc). Hardly an audio-friendly environment. I cannot understand how the last 5 or 6 feet between the wall outlet and the equipment can make such a difference.

But, I do believe that some of the power cables supplied with audio equipment can be improved upon. My Yamaha RX-V2400 came with a very cheap looking, thin 18 gauge, unshielded power cord. I took it upon myself to make my own 14 gauge cord out of Belden wire, a female IEC and an AC plug purchased from the hardware store. Do I hear a difference? No. Am I hoping that the 14 gauge cable is less restrictive than the OEM 18 gauge, yes.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Electone said:
I have visited many audio forums on the net and have read endless posts about the "miracles" of aftermarket power cords.
Electone said:
Yes, you have identified it correctly :p And we know about miracles, don't we :D

But, I do believe that some of the power cables supplied with audio equipment can be improved upon.

How and why?
If you think the designer didn't design the power cable properly, a simple task, why do you even bother with that company in the first place? How would they be able to design the rest of the circuits, more of a challenge, if they cannot design the simple cord properly? Run, don't walk, to another maker.
But, in rality, most are designed properly.

My Yamaha RX-V2400 came with a very cheap looking, thin 18 gauge, unshielded power cord.

Cheap looking? How does the look affect it capability? It doesn't.
Is that 18 ga, if it is that thin, sufficient? That depends on the power cable's length and the currewnt it is designed to handle. Yamaha knows how to design properly. ;)

Do I hear a difference? No. Am I hoping that the 14 gauge cable is less restrictive than the OEM 18 gauge, yes.

Yes, 14ga offers less resistance and less voltage drop from the cable.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Check the power specifications for your Yamaha. I doubt that it consumes much more than 600 watts. When you consider the standard iron that people use to iron clothes consumes 1,200 watts and comes with no special power cord it seems rather ridiculous to worry about the power cord on your receiver doesn't it???

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

ruadmaa said:
Check the power specifications for your Yamaha. I doubt that it consumes much more than 600 watts. When you consider the standard iron that people use to iron clothes consumes 1,200 watts and comes with no special power cord it seems rather ridiculous to worry about the power cord on your receiver doesn't it???

Yes, but audiophiles don't listen to their irons, :D

T

Transducergeek

Enthusiast
Cash on trash... impressive trash, but no better sound...so trash it is..

mtrycrafts said:
Yes, but audiophiles don't listen to their irons, :D
No, Audiosuckers listen foolishly to outlandish claims by salesmen and makers of dubious products. And are soon separated from their money, for no audible or measurable difference in sound. But boy, are they now emotionally "invested" in the new $799.00 "BELCHFIRE 500" power cord, and must now "defend" their choice to purchase, and "preach like the newly saved" that it "REALLY, fantastically REALLY, SOUNDS BETTER!!" or feel like dupes. When in their hearts, they now know no change in sound has occured. And they blew real cash, on trash...

E

Electone

Audioholic
I really enjoyed reading your replies! One thing I like about this site is that it is grounded in reality. Audio "jewellery" is expensive, but if you can do it cheaply, and as a hobby, it is fun. My homemade power cord cost me exactly $12.00. I think it looks sharp, and I know Belden makes good quality cable.

My system has 2 dedicated 15 amp, isolated ground AC lines, wired with 12 gauge romex. By using the shielded Belden cable, I was hoping to keep noise to an absolute minimum and have no restrictions on current from the panel to the equipment.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Power Cord

Electone said:
I really enjoyed reading your replies! One thing I like about this site is that it is grounded in reality. Audio "jewellery" is expensive, but if you can do it cheaply, and as a hobby, it is fun. My homemade power cord cost me exactly $12.00. I think it looks sharp, and I know Belden makes good quality cable.

My system has 2 dedicated 15 amp, isolated ground AC lines, wired with 12 gauge romex. By using the shielded Belden cable, I was hoping to keep noise to an absolute minimum and have no restrictions on current from the panel to the equipment.
Glad to see you are using your head. By the way, you left out the most important part, did your new power cord make any difference whatsoever in the audio quality of your system???

E

Electone

Audioholic
ruadmaa said:
Glad to see you are using your head. By the way, you left out the most important part, did your new power cord make any difference whatsoever in the audio quality of your system???

Absolutely NOT! :)

T

Transducergeek

Enthusiast
No difference? Whaddaaa yaa mean?

Electone said:
Absolutely NOT! :)
I am shocked, shocked, that an expensive custom super power cord made no difference in the sound.....Why would people lie about that?...MMMMMmmm.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
What you have to remember about the gauge of the cable is how much current does it draw?? Homses are high voltage, so mass current isn't required. 18 gauge can safely carry ~10 amps. That's about 1200 watts. Now assuming 50% amplifier efficiency, that 600 watts available. 18 gauge sounds sufficient to me.

Paul

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Francious70 said:
What you have to remember about the gauge of the cable is how much current does it draw?? Homses are high voltage, so mass current isn't required. 18 gauge can safely carry ~10 amps. That's about 1200 watts. Now assuming 50% amplifier efficiency, that 600 watts available. 18 gauge sounds sufficient to me.

Paul

And, those are continuous levels. Audio is rarely if ever so taxing :D

E

Electone

Audioholic
Why would Yamaha install an IEC inlet for the power cord instead of hard wiring it in place like with some of the lesser models?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Markting.

Electone said:
Why would Yamaha install an IEC inlet for the power cord instead of hard wiring it in place like with some of the lesser models?
People want this. Sorta like bi wire capabilites on speakers and cupholders in minivans. It's easier to sell with these "features".

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I, for one, like having IEC connected power cords very much. When I install equipment I like to make a custom-length power cord. I don't like extra cabling hanging around, and I like to use cable that bends easily and, if necessary, runs cleanly around corners. I just installed my system in a new house and made four power cords for the occassion. No difference in performance, but a huge difference in looks (and I care about that).

IEC connectors are also great when you're doing custom installations. You never know what length cord you'll need, and space is often at a premium for stiff cables.

You know, if I might make one minor observation here... there's so much anti-audiophile-think in this forum that sometimes people get carried away with themselves. I'd recommend a more balanced perspective.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Irvrobinson said:
I, for one, like having IEC connected power cords very much. When I install equipment I like to make a custom-length power cord. I don't like extra cabling hanging around, and I like to use cable that bends easily and, if necessary, runs cleanly around corners. I just installed my system in a new house and made four power cords for the occassion. No difference in performance, but a huge difference in looks (and I care about that).

IEC connectors are also great when you're doing custom installations. You never know what length cord you'll need, and space is often at a premium for stiff cables.

You know, if I might make one minor observation here... there's so much anti-audiophile-think in this forum that sometimes people get carried away with themselves. I'd recommend a more balanced perspective.
When you made your own power cords, did you use a thicker gauge, or stick with the standard 18 gauge?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
When you made your own power cords, did you use a thicker gauge, or stick with the standard 18 gauge?
None of my components came with 18ga power cords. The stock preamp and cd cords were 16ga, the amp cords 12 or 14ga, I can't remember which, and I don't have them in front of me (they are thick, stiff, and have folds in them).

For replacements I have used the same design for years. Carol 12/3 SJOOW cable with Marinco IEC and 15amp plugs. The Marinco IEC is actually rather pricey at about $17ea, but in a $30K system I figure ~$30/cord is trivial, and their quality is excellent. The Marincos look and feel neat, and they use a simple and foolproof connection system; the prong and plug connections are tight, with just the right tension. The Carol cable is quite flexible and the price is right. (Each amp is fed by a dedicated 20amp circuit run with 10/3. The pre-amp and cd are fed by an isolation transformer on a dedicated 15amp circuit.)

In case you're wondering, there's no difference in sound and no difference in performance. I used 12/3 for the preamp and cd cords only because I didn't see the need to buy multiple cable gauges - 12/3 maybe be overkill for a unit that draws 35watts, but it works.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis