skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Who's seen this...Malick's latest? It's totally right hemisphere, non-logical, imagery-driven and lacking much in the way of a coherent "plot". It's also interesting, visually arresting and very earnest in it's philosophical vision. It's even more free-form than The New World. Great movie or the new Heaven's Gate? I'm not sure. I'm glad I saw it rather than POTC, but I just don't know.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
IMO it was a waste of the 17 minutes I gave it before ejecting it !

absolutely would not recommend this movie to anyone !

to me it looked like something someone on shrooms dreamed up on a long Saturday night's trip.

I generally like sean penn's work,and I like the independent film genre ,but this one was too far out there for me.

back in the 70's I would have smoked a joint and put on dark side of the moon instead.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
IMO a waste of a strong cast....hated the movie and I don't know why I watched it to the end!

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Interesting....people tend to be completely polarized on this flick. It's probably a great measure of whether the viewer is a right or left brain hemisphere dominant person. "Righties", who are neurologically wired to think in images and relations completely understand the movie, but it would be a challenge to people who need a coherent, time sequenced plot. I heard that there were numerous people in theaters who left the movie angry and agitated and confronted theater staff wanting their money back; obviously "lefties". Otherwise that rarely happens in movie theaters, except moms with kids finding the movie too violent.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This movie absolutely f^%&ing sucked. I slept through most of it as an escape from the not only stupid sh!t I would wake to see but to protect my mind from the thoroughly unpleasant images I would find upon waking. If an alcoholic black out were even mildly retro active I would have pounded down a fifth of gin to forget what I had seen.

... but thanks for referring to me as right brained. Mostly I just get called mindless. :D

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
well to me it looked good at first glance,I usually see a 'preview" on BRD or see a tv commercial letting me know about a movie,then I find it on netflix and the most I usually read on a movie is what's on netflix about it,

this movie looked ok with a pretty good cast.

here is what is on netflix about it,

"The Tree of Life
2011 PG-13138 minutes

Brad Pitt and Sean Penn star in Terrence Malick's 1950s adventure about a confused man named Jack, who sets off on a journey to understand the true nature of the world. Growing up in the Midwest with two brothers, Jack has always been torn between his mother's guidance to approach everything he encounters with an open heart and his father's advice to look after his own interests. Now, Jack must find a way to regain purpose and perspective.

Cast:
Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain, Hunter McCracken, Fiona Shaw, Joanna Going, Kari Matchett, Kimberly Whalen, Laramie Eppler, Tye Sheridan"

oh well,i can't win them all !

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
skizzerflake

skizzerflake

This movie absolutely f^%&ing sucked. I slept through most of it as an escape from the not only stupid sh!t I would wake to see but to protect my mind from the thoroughly unpleasant images I would find upon waking. If an alcoholic black out were even mildly retro active I would have pounded down a fifth of gin to forget what I had seen.

... but thanks for referring to me as right brained. Mostly I just get called mindless. :D
Actually, if you didn't like it, you're more likely to be a "leftie". The left hemisphere operates the right side of the body, which is generally dominant (except in left handed people, who are confusing in their dominance). Generally right handed people are left brained and the left brain is associated with sequential, logical activities. Right brained people are better in visual, gestalt, non-sequential and musical activities. We generally don't notice because of a sort of highway crossing in the brain that mixes tendencies, but we all have a preference.

G

Gustavo

Audioholic Intern
My (left or right) foot!

I'm amazed how just anyone classifies someone as a leftie or a rightie just because of how he appreciates this movie.

I think the movie is a poor determinant of which part of your brain you often use for thinking. It would be giving this movie too much value.

The movie sucks no matter what unless, of course, you're on grass. But it would be a waste of grass.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In my opinion, The Tree of Life is one of the best films made in years. I thought it was gorgeous, intimate, reflective, and moving, even though I didn't agree with many of its presuppositions and don't personally identify with its spiritual nature. I'm sure this movie will be watched in many decades to come, where many of the more popular fare that gets released will be long forgotten.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Removed it from my Queue immediately after reading this thread.:D

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Saw it. Personally I loved it, but I like more abstract movies. This is a film for those who think 2001: A Space Odyssey is too literal, coherent and fast-paced.

THis actually reminds me most of Baraka. THere's no plot; it's a series of (beautiful) images and sequences that work like a free-association around a few central ideas. However, there are actual characters with scripted dialogue in "Tree of Life", unlike "Baraka", so it isn't as obvious from the outset that you shouldn't be expecting a narrative arc.

If you want to see it, my advice to be involved with what's on the screen RIGHT NOW, and forget about why it follows what came before it or where it's leading to. That's the path to frustration. The film just isn't about a sequence of events.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis