The Perfect Listening Room?

<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>“What is the perfect media or listening room?”<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;&nbsp;</SPAN>We get asked this question quite often. There are many facets that go into the listening room, and the most important is the desires of the intended user(s). For some, the ultimate room is built for one. For others, it's a grand room that&nbsp;can reproduce the acoustics of&nbsp;a small concert hall. Add in music preferences, budgetary constraints and intended use, and the question takes on a lot more complexity.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>Richard Bird of Rives Audio addresses this widely discussed and debated issue in this month’s Acoustics column.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>[Read the Article]</FONT></P>

Last edited by a moderator:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
And my perfect listening room is.... well more of a listening lab. :)

I am currently retrofitting my listening room into a blind testing room including a DCX2496 for on-the-fly EQ and xover changes by remote with a PC, a flat screen and PC to use at the listening position for other blind tests such as artifact ABXing, remote controlled motorized indexed carousels in ordet to blind test/compare speakers and an acousticly transparent curtain across the front of the room as is mentioned being used at NRC and some sort of modular acoustic diffusion/absorbtion system that can be rearanged quickly along the walls for different situations. So far the flat screened PC and DCX2496 are the limit of my progress. The rest is still a work in progress...

-Chris

Last edited:
A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I propbably had great expectations from the article quoted above. Like getting more details. But I guess you have to pay for that in consultancy fees. Nothing is really free.

I agree with some assertions that a listening room is perfect as far as the listener's expectations are concerned. Each would be different. I personallly would add that a listening room should consider the dispersion traits of the chosen speakers. More than anything, a great listening room is a function of room-speaker interaction. I would add, room-speaker-ear interaction.

I find it a little unnecessary to have a room dedicated for specific musical genres. How the music was captured in the recording process bears no relationship with home reproduction. The two are entirely separate and independent. The microphones and the recording consoles are meant to capture not only the diect sounds of a performance but the ambiances as well. In studio recording, these are aritficially added in the mix. Hence, the recorded information contains the room size and accoustic conditions, if implicitly, in which the performance was recorded.

Reproducing these captured sounds and ambiances at home requires nothing less than the most transparent, neutral and accurate gears - from players to speakers. And the perfect listening room iwould have accoustic properties that will not alter those sounds coming from the speakers before they reach the ears of the listeners. At least not in time to make any substanital alteration. Whether that happens in a small room or a big room, the important thing is that the listener, at his sweet spot, only gets the sounds as it went through the microphones. And excellent speakers are meant to do that in reverse and deliver those sounds without the aid or inhibitions of room accoustics. For me a perfect listening room is one with accoustic traits that won't alter what goes out of the speakers. At least not in time to reach the ears.

Once that is done, the listener gets, apart from the musical isntruments and voices, the proper impressions of a gothic church, auditorium, an intimate jazz pub or open air performance , regardless of the room size he's in. Afterall, even a good headphone can give the impression you are listening inside a cathedral.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
AV_Phile;

If you want some solid substance on room acoustics, check out these articles which you may find of interest:

<A href="http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/roomacoustictreatments.php"></A>Learning acoustics principles can be a duanting task, but we cannot stress their importance enough on the role they play in determining the&nbsp;fidelity of your home theater system.&nbsp;&nbsp;With that in mind, here are some&nbsp;very useful acoustics training&nbsp; articles we covered at Cedia training classes this year.&nbsp; <FONT face=Arial size=2>As always, we want you to remember that <EM><STRONG><FONT color=#cc0000>the sound of that signal at your ears is 50% the direct sound from the speakers and 50% the sound generated by the room.</FONT></STRONG> </EM>The three classes reviewed to date from the Electronic Systems Designer track are: </FONT>
<OL>
<LI><A href="http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/hometheatercalibration.php"><FONT face=Arial size=2>“High Performance Home Theater Calibration”</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2> taught by Anthony Grimani</FONT><FONT size=2> </FONT></FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=Arial size=2>“</FONT><A href="http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/Acoustics101THX.php"><FONT face=Arial size=2>Acoustics 101</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>” taught by John Dahl</FONT></LI>
<LI><FONT face=Arial size=2>“</FONT><A href="http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/roomacoustictreatments.php"><FONT face=Arial size=2>Room Acoustics: Acoustics Treatment</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>” taught by Anthony Grimani</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT></LI></OL>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>Remember getting your room acoustics and loudspeakers set-up correctly will have a far more profound positive affect on system performance than&nbsp;buying into cable snake oils&nbsp;or soaking your cables in kosher chicken fat :)</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial size=2>[</FONT><A href="http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/roomacoustics/roomacoustictreatments.php"><FONT face=Arial size=2>Read More About Room Treatments</FONT></A><FONT face=Arial size=2>]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></P>

It perplexes me when we put out solid content like this and get no feedback :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis