The Panasonic Plasma Unthread

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Here's the setup...not gonna take a screenshot until the HD service starts Monday! :D
Your giving me a bad case of Plasma Envy. My wife is happy with my 40" and she says that size doesn't matter.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats.... Panny has great Plasma's... I have the commercial grade, 42 & 50, and I wish I could replace my 50 with at least a 65...

They are spectacular display's... SD is great with them...

Hope you have years and years of good service from them...

Warp

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats RJ! It was a long time coming! Now kick back, pop in your fave DVD and enjoy. Pssst, don't forget the Guinness!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Congrats RJ! It was a long time coming! Now kick back, pop in your fave DVD and enjoy. Pssst, don't forget the Guinness!
Guinness? Guinness!! :) Sadly, no. It has to be caffeine-free, sugar-free brown water (Pepsi). :(

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Guinness? Guinness!! :) Sadly, no. It has to be caffeine-free, sugar-free brown water (Pepsi). :(
You mean there's no diet Guinness?:eek: Or just fill up a Guinness bottle with Pepsi, afterall HT is about "getting away through movie fantasy," right?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Being in the health field I have to tell you to stop drinking that fake crap and go back to nature....beer...beer...beer...

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
My Panny Plasma 42 running great even on standard def.!!!!:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
My Panny Plasma 42 running great even on standard def.!!!!:)
Congrats, Tyreman!

Last night we clearly noticed a screen door effect on some television shows and digital compression artifacts on dvd watching, as well. I am keeping judgement on this set until the DirectTV gets installed on Monday. So far though, I am less than enthusiastic because of the lack of consistent PQ.

I don't know whether it's my Dishnet service and old Panny F87 DVD player .... or the new tv. We'll see. Any sage advice out there??? Mtry? Anyone?

EDIT: I forgot to mention...this tv is on Costco's Black Friday coupon list...500 bucks off...subject to stock on hand! (I'm gonna get my refund! :))

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Go into the picture settings menu. Go to "Other Ajust". Turn "MPEG NR" on. This should help quite a bit with the artifacts you're experiencing. Be sure to do it on both the TV and your DVD input.

If you have a standard definition satellite receiver then that explains a lot. SD satellite receivers typically look awful on HD sets.

T

Tyreman

Audioholic Intern
For one thing I turned off EVERY filter/enhancer in the menu.
and using standard colour setting.
On Rogers cable here.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats, Tyreman!

Last night we clearly noticed a screen door effect on some television shows and digital compression artifacts on dvd watching, as well. I am keeping judgement on this set until the DirectTV gets installed on Monday. So far though, I am less than enthusiastic because of the lack of consistent PQ.

I don't know whether it's my Dishnet service and old Panny F87 DVD player .... or the new tv. We'll see. Any sage advice out there??? Mtry? Anyone?
By screen door effect, do you mean that the image looks like it's made up of small blocks that don't quite match up? Or is it more like jagged edges where there should be a defined edge?

From what I've been able to discover on the subject, the signal provider is the most likely cause of the problems and upgrading to a better signal is the best way to eliminate it. Failing that, there is a way to compensate for blocking artifacts, but you're not going to like it.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
RJ,

I had the same problem till I upgraded to satellite tv, 90% of the channels have good to excellent signal, roughly 10% are ok to good, HD on the other hand is excellent throughout with a few channels being exceptionally superior (Discovery Theather, ESPN, MusicHD, and a few more.) Most channels are now offered in HD, this will make a huge difference in your PQ. Don't get discouraged, just experiment.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. AverageJoe and I talked about this on Friday. (He's is pretty knowledgeable in this area, he having worked in CATV for 200 years.) He thinks it is probably compression artifacts and I think it's likely more noticeable on the 58" plasma screen, much more than was visible on the rplcd 50" it replaced....but always must have been there. The fact that there were other issues with the DVD we played is what was confusing.

My description of the 'screen door' effect was obscure...wasn't it?! I'll see if I can get a picture of the picture. :))) It basically appears that there is a screen overlaying the background picture. It is particularly noticeable when there is a dark scene and the camera/scene is panning or moving. It, for all the world, appears as though you're watching action through a thin curtain or screen. I do not believe it is the pixels we are seeing. It's slight uneven-ness makes it look a bit more 'curtain' appearing than 'screen door' appearing.

DirectTV gets installed tomorrow...hopefully that will solve many issues. Poor quality, highly compressed signals are what I WANT to blame the poor PQ on. :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This is off-topic, so I apologize. I've held it in for a while, but I gotta say that avatar of yours is just disturbing, Tomorrow! Hilarious, but disturbing. :D:D

I'm sure that is has someone thinking about stuffing the turkey...

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
He's is pretty knowledgeable in this area, he having worked in CATV for 200 years...
Yeah, but the 50 years spent in satellite and cellular and the 100 years in computers was more fun.

Old? Who's old? :(

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
This is off-topic, so I apologize. I've held it in for a while, but I gotta say that avatar of yours is just disturbing, Tomorrow! Hilarious, but disturbing. :D:D

I'm sure that is has someone thinking about stuffing the turkey...
LOL, I thought the Halloween pumpkin was much more disturbing! :eek: I have a feeling Majorloser is gonna do the foil covering on his Thanksgiving turkey to reproduce this avatar. (Don't forget pics.)

Wait till you see the Christmas avatar!! :D;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Ooh, I'm gonna tell him you said that! ;)

So, how's the wife like her new TV? :p
Tattle-tale.

She thinks it's "okay". :eek: Good grief, this woman finds no joy in AV toys. Must be something about the X-chromasome. :confused:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, but the 50 years spent in satellite and cellular and the 100 years in computers was more fun.

Old? Who's old? :(
Happy Birthday, olde man!! :D

(C-band doesn't count in satellite-years. ;))

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis