The Panasonic Plasma Unthread

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
HOLY SMOKES!! You guys didn't say HD tv was THIS good! :D

DirectTV was installed today, many thanks to the supervision of my main man, AverageJoe. It looks like we'll have to learn a new channel lineup and the new, sort of goofy, not completely bug-free remotes...but it is worth every little thing I can find to whine about. 720P is so much better than SD. The screen door effect is gone, except on (some) SD channels (like the non-HD Sci-Fi channel which may be the worst).

We got one of the brand new HD-DVR BLACK receivers that have the nifty blue circular chase lights in the center. I was fearing the look of the silver receiver in my all black equipment setup...not anymore! :D

Many thanks to everyone for your encouragement and continuing information assistance.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Good to hear you got your HD service! I wasn't so lucky. :( DirecTV came on Sunday and determined that they could not get adequate signal from all of five sats due to trees. That was very disappointing because cable offers a whopping 10 HD channels including locals.

So I called Dish Network and they said they will try two separate dishes to get the sats (only 3 for Dish). They come on Saturday. I'm really hoping it works out.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
HOLY SMOKES!! You guys didn't say HD tv was THIS good! :D

DirectTV was installed today, many thanks to the supervision of my main man, AverageJoe. It looks like we'll have to learn a new channel lineup and the new, sort of goofy, not completely bug-free remotes...but it is worth every little thing I can find to whine about. 720P is so much better than SD. The screen door effect is gone, except on (some) SD channels (like the non-HD Sci-Fi channel which may be the worst).

We got one of the brand new HD-DVR BLACK receivers that have the nifty blue circular chase lights in the center. I was fearing the look of the silver receiver in my all black equipment setup...not anymore! :D

Many thanks to everyone for your encouragement and continuing information assistance.
We told you sooooo! All right!! RJ, now the missus is going to have a hard time getting you away from your new found love!! Enjoy!:)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Well, yeah. I thought you Canucks were, at least. ;)
Oh c'mon. Canadians are honest, friendly and hard-working people. OK, so we lied about Celine Dion, but now you have her and you have to keep her.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Oh c'mon. Canadians are honest, friendly and hard-working people. OK, so we lied about Celine Dion, but now you have her and you have to keep her.:D
Gino Vannelli, Sheep, James Kirk.....I don't know about you Northerners, we're giving her back along with Wayne Newton.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in love with the Weather Channel. LOL.
Is Sharon Resultan still working there? I haven't seen that channel in years, but I loved watching her back in the mid-90's when I was in college. I used to make fun of my dad for watching the Weather Channel...then I think I figured out why he does. I don't think he cared any more than I did about precipitation in Kansas or wind gusts in Nebraska. :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Good to hear you got your HD service! I wasn't so lucky. :( DirecTV came on Sunday and determined that they could not get adequate signal from all of five sats due to trees. That was very disappointing because cable offers a whopping 10 HD channels including locals.

So I called Dish Network and they said they will try two separate dishes to get the sats (only 3 for Dish). They come on Saturday. I'm really hoping it works out.
The DirectTV installer that came out here, got here 2-3 hours early because there were small trees, twigs even, in the way of two earlier installs he was supposed to do. I guess that sweep of the multiple satellites must be pretty sensitive for the (oval and skewed) dish.

Good luck Saturday, Hi Ho. You're gonna be in hog heaven when you see HD in your home. I feel like I've sinned or done something I wasn't supposed to...this HD stuff is so exciting! :D (It doesn't take much to thrill an old man, lol.)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Gino Vannelli, Sheep, James Kirk.....I don't know about you Northerners, we're giving her back along with Wayne Newton.
Let's give 'em back hockey, too. If god meant for man to skate on ice, he'd have made us with sharp-bottomed feet. :D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, we took Anne Murray back...and...AND...AND...we shipped Shania off to neutral Switzerland. That's more than fair.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, we took Anne Murray back...and...AND...AND...we shipped Shania off to neutral Switzerland. That's more than fair.
Well, that has the appearance of a great gesture....BUT...they were, after all, the only country that would take her.

You know, now that I think of it, we ought to give Detroit to Canada for Christmas! :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well, that has the appearance of a great gesture....BUT...they were, after all, the only country that would take her.

You know, now that I think of it, we ought to give Detroit to Canada for Christmas! :D
While we're at it throw in Miami for good measure.:D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Pardon the lousy photography and cheapo camera. This is the best I can do to show off the new Panny in HD....

This was taken from ~ 4 feet from the 58" screen. Pixels may be viewable.

majorloser

majorloser

Yippee

I'm glad to see you stepped up to HD!!!!

Now you're NEVER going to be able to stand watching standard def ever again. You'll end up settling for watching the mating rituals of Africa cockroaches on Discovery HD before watch a regular SD program again ;)

"But honey, just look at the amazing color and detail on that roach's legs."

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I'm glad to see you stepped up to HD!!!!

Now you're NEVER going to be able to stand watching standard def ever again. You'll end up settling for watching the mating rituals of Africa cockroaches on Discovery HD before watch a regular SD program again ;)

"But honey, just look at the amazing color and detail on that roach's legs."
You have that prexactly right, Majorloser!! The HD Weather Channel and I have become good buds. :) SD sucks. How DID I ever watch it?! LOL.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
SD sucks. How DID I ever watch it?! LOL.
Yeah, we all feel that way (as long as the equipment is setup right. I have seen people complain, but their problem was incorrect setup).

Looks good, now to check out HD DVD & BD.;):):D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis