The Dolby Atmos Home Theater Paradox

How Many Speakers are You running in your Home Theater?

• 5.1 or up to 5.4

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • 6.1 or up to 6.4

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 7.1 or up to 7.4

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • 9.1 or up to 9.4

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • 11.1 or up to 11.4

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Two-Channel is where it's at!

Votes: 12 5.2%

• Total voters
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Regardless of if it becomes mainstream in the home or not, it's not a flash-in-the-pan, immersive audio is here to stay, and those of us who have embraced it have many hours of superior enjoyment ahead, whether it be native Atmos or upmixed.
We will have to see whether or not it will be a flash in the pan, only time will tell. My arguments is that it will never be widely adopted and will remain in the niche segment of the market. Dolby Atmos requires a general upgrade of hardware, i.e. new A/V receiver and some new speakers, that will require additional wiring of the room/home. Let's face it, Dolby Atmos is really for those with dedicated HT rooms, which I suspect is a niche segment in itself.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
No, I'm being factual. The long term success of Atmos doesn't solely depend on BD being with us a decade or two down the line.
But you're not being practical or realistic. Again, where is all the 7.1 streaming content, where is all the 4K streaming content we heard about, where is all the 3D streaming content, so now were going to see Dolby Atmos streaming? If not for Blu Ray, Dolby Atmos would be dead right now as a home theater format.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But you're not being practical or realistic.
How's that? I'm not suggesting much of anything beyond the point that Dolby obviously recognized the need and has an Atmos format for low bandwidth situations. What content producers / distributors do with it over the next 10-20 years, who knows.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
How's that? I'm not suggesting much of anything beyond the point that Dolby obviously recognized the need and has an Atmos format for low bandwidth situations. What content producers / distributors do with it over the next 10-20 years, who knows.
OK, let me ask you to put on your prognosticators hat on for a moment, if you had to predict, what do you see as the long term viability, if any, of streaming Dolby Atmos? You notice I'm not even mentioning DTS-X.

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
The other side of things is from the mixing point, object based audio itself is here to stay until something better comes along, it's easier and more accurate than mixing discrete sound in a purely channel based environment. So I'd be fairly certain it will continue to be adopted into the consumer market as well.
I'll be willing to bet that by the 2018 model releases, you'd be hard pressed to find any 7 channel+ AVR that didn't have some kind of immersive audio option for playback, if not Atmos then both Atmos and DTS-X, even in the budget priced models.

Last edited:
Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
The other side of things is from the mixing point, object based audio itself is here to stay until something better comes along, it's easier and more accurate than mixing discrete sound in a purely channel based environment. So I'd be fairly certain it will continue to be adopted into the consumer market as well.
I'll be willing to bet that by the 2018 model releases, you'd be hard pressed to find any 7 channel+ AVR that didn't have some kind of immersive audio option for playback, if not Atmos then both Atmos and DTS-X, even in the budget priced models.
I would say most A/V receivers, with the exception of some under $200 were 7.1 equipped, yet 7.1, as a consumer format, was never really caught on in the home, meaning that most consumer did not set up 7.1 speaker system for Dolby HD or DTS-HD sound. Also, studios really did not support 7.1. we did not see that many 7.1 sound mixes on Blu Ray, I have yet to see a movie on cable or streamed in 7.1. Hardware manufactures did equip receivers with front height channels and surround back channels, but most consumers did not bite.

In light of the above, I don't expect to see wide spread adoption of Dolby Atmos nor DTS-X, even though most A/V receivers will be so equipped. Most people, in my opinion, will still run 5.1 or abandon multi channel speaker systems altogether for a Dolby Atmos soundbar. The fact of the matter is, more than 5.1 speakers in the home is simply superfluous and the market will prove that to be the case.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

This is just impractical (see ceiling speakers) for most a/v enthusiast. Dolby Atmos is for an ultra niche market.

G

Gombi

Audiophyte
Given that we agree that a discrete ceiling speakers are a better implementation than upward projecting speakers, I find that the most challenging obstacle of installing such speakers are wiring, which most homes don't have them provisioned. Is there a way to make them wireless? Is there a known (white) set of speakers that can wirelessly be set at the ceiling, while the transmitter hooks up to the low impedance atmos speakers output in a supporting receiver?

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
We've heard chatter in the industry that the new surround format Dolby Atmos, originally designed for Cineplexes, may be working its way into new AV receivers as soon as this fall. Are you ready to jump on the 9.1 or 11.1 surround bandwagon? Or, do you think this will be another forced technology push like 3D and UltraHD have been, from an industry desperate to promote a shiny new product or feature rather than educating the consumers on how to better set up existing technologies to maximize their home theater experience? It will be interesting to see if consumers will identify a need and benefit for adding more speakers in their existing home theaters and if they will be willing to allocate both budget and space to accommodate.

I am not convinced with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc. Here is what always happens. Sores such as Best Buys, are more then happy to ram new technology down your throat anytime. Look at the past' They tried to ram 3D upon you, even though it was still in the larval stage & you are forced to wear those stupid glasses along with everyone else in your room. I will not pander to this ripoff, until, and only then when we have true Glassless 3D. This farce is a joke. Many people complain of headaches from the glasses, and when you turn your head, the image collapses. Then there is the farce of curved TV. This is not new, but they are trying to ram it down your throat again. Curved TV has been around since the early '70's (Kloss Novabeam). It was not a success then, and it's not successful now either. Unless you sit in the sweet spot, it just doesn't work. Curved TV. There are geometric problems when you sit outside the sweet spot. Don't pay more for these stupid mass marketing scams to make more money. 3D & Curved TV uses untested and greed from the manufacturer's before the technology is ready.

I am extremely happy with my 10.2 Surround system. I love DTS HD Master Audio, and Dolby True HD Audio (they are both Lossless formats (0 distortion & great dynamic range. My Integra Processor has height channels which is awesome. Why re-invent the wheel if it's not broken. Also, how many discs can you buy with Dolby Atmos or Dolby True HD? The software has not caught up with the hardware. 3D & Curved TV is a failure. Soon, you will see those technology at the Flea Markets & yardsales for pennies on the dollar, along with those crappy glasses.It doesn't matter if your TV uses active or passive glasses. If I had to chose, I would chose passive. No annoying shutters. The active glasses need batteries which don't last very long. Don't jump into the water until you know the temperature.

Read The Dolby Atmos Paradox

Are you planning an AV Receiver upgrade to accommodate Dolby Atmos and up to 11 channels of audio? Let us know in this thread.

cel4145

cel4145

Audioholic
In light of the above, I don't expect to see wide spread adoption of Dolby Atmos nor DTS-X, even though most A/V receivers will be so equipped. Most people, in my opinion, will still run 5.1 or abandon multi channel speaker systems altogether for a Dolby Atmos soundbar. The fact of the matter is, more than 5.1 speakers in the home is simply superfluous and the market will prove that to be the case.
Despite the general disdain for Atmos modules that Audioholics demonstrated in their review and comments about it by those with ceiling Atmos speakers, I tried it anyway and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Not just with Atmos and DTS:X content, but also legacy 5.1 HD audio. Given that it's an easy upgrade for many people to try, I would expect to see more people end up with 5.1.2 or maybe even 5.1.4.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
I have 7.2.2 with marantz 8802a it's crazy big up grade atmos and Dtsx is conning you must hear it..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Instead of wasting time & money to upgrade to Atmos I'll be happier buying classic jazz records or old film noir movies.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
It's only a waste if you don't like it. A great many people really enjoy it as an experience as much as you do your old movies & music.

I like some old movies and classic jazz too, and may still buy a record now and then. I also may try Atmos.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Do people still believe DTS-X and Dolby Atmos is going to blow up?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
But you're not being practical or realistic. Again, where is all the 7.1 streaming content, where is all the 4K streaming content we heard about, where is all the 3D streaming content, so now were going to see Dolby Atmos streaming? If not for Blu Ray, Dolby Atmos would be dead right now as a home theater format.

I saw this thread from 6 months ago, and times are changing, VUDU has started streaming ATMOS, it's only a matter of time before others will follow. I know you are not a fan of Atmos, but it is here to stay, it will never blow up big IMO, but the industry is starting to support it more and more

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
And lest we forget that the new over the air broadcast standard spec allows for the transmission of metadata, not only for video but immersive audio as well.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I saw this thread from 6 months ago, and times are changing, VUDU has started streaming ATMOS, it's only a matter of time before others will follow. I know you are not a fan of Atmos, but it is here to stay, it will never blow up big IMO, but the industry is starting to support it more and more
Atmos is all but dead as far as mass acceptance. At best its niche. Not very many people going out there buying all them speakers and putting them on the ceilings and whatnot for Atmos. Also VUDU is a second rate streaming service, they don't move the needle, they're not a game changer for Atmos.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis