TERMINATOR SALVATION (5 threads merged)

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds about right. But my computer is not hooked up to any kind of sound system, so it's hard for me to tell. The noise, if I remember played maybe 3 or 4 times in the whole movie and it's very overpowering. IT was this random output noise the harvester terminator made sometimes. Really loud, and really low pitched. And you're right, it is like a warble sound, like a steel ship rubbing against another one or something.

I thought of a much better example of LFO, you can hear a ton of LFO in this similar to the sounds in Terminator:

It sounds overpowering because it constant and ddiiirrrttyy. YouTube's quality is too bad to really hear this, but, pickup the album Distance - My Demons .... great subwoofer workout.

I don't know the movie terms, but in dubstep and drum and bass (where this sort of sound comes from), soundsystems had to be setup specially for our music because of the sine 'weight' at the bottom with the LFO over the top. Speaker manufacturers use a 2x peak value, but with the these sorts of low end the speakers really have to be run around their rms, because the subwoofers will blow from THERMAL limitations rather than what most people are used to, excursion or peak limitations. Basically, with the sort of bass in this movie, you can cook your subwoofer(s). When they blow its a slow and non-violent process from the heat building up until the voice coil expands to the point that it locks up.

This movie kept these scenes pretty short, but if this becomes a trend in bass for movie making (which I think it will), expect to see a lot of posts along the lines of "My subwoofer is locked up." A lot of home theaters run their subwoofers far over their rms value, and doing that with this sort of bass will cook the voice coils very fast.

That said, I think it is the most effective sort of bass. It's the sort of bass that makes people ears get fuzzy and chest flutter. Also, when used effectively, it echos the way bass is with real machinery. Big engines, big electric motors, turbins, and so forth all have natural "LFO" because they are rotating with frequency.

Okay, I'm rambling.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Terminator "Salvation"

Has anyone seen this flic or bought it on regular DVD or Blu RAy? Is it worth the money?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The blu-ray I've been using as my reference disk. The sound is absolutely flawless in this movie. The movie itself is okay, but, not great.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I seen it in HD with DTS sound - Movie's ok, big improvement over 3rd part, but far from the 2nd.
Gov. Of Kalifornia made a brief "CG'ed" cameo :D
This movie is a big workout for sub (wish I had one and wasn't living in apartment) :(
I'm not sure if I'd buy the movie, but I'd sure rec to rent it! :rolleyes:

Edit:
The sound track is really good as MidnightSensi mentioned, i might even replace my previous reference dvd U-571 with it.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I enjoyed the movie, and it is definitely a reference disc for audio, and the video is stunning as well.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
As stated before the audio and video are both flawless.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
agreed on all of above.. one of the first helicopter scenes was amazing i thought i was being invaded :D

and u571 is great to

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I paid $15 for Terminator Salvation BD @ Best Buy.:D

I liked everything about this blu-ray - movie itself, SQ, PQ - just awesome IMO.:D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Man, that's a damn life-like robot if it can "salavate". :p

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Terminator Salvation

So i watched Terminator salvation last night, having just recently completed my Surround Sound system, i figured it would be a good movie to test it out. I will do a quick and brief review of the movie as to avoid spoilers. Firstly it follows the story line fairly well from the last three pre-quels, one issue i have with it is it kind of has a large gap from the last movie, which is not too bad, but i was hoping it would pick up right where the other one left off or at least within a couple years of it. The movie did not seem as "realistic" feeling as the pre-quels as well, i dont want to spoil it but there was alot of things in the movie that just did not seem like it could be realistic for the situation of the plot. overall though the movie was very entertaining and easily captures your attention, it isnt as "doomsday" as the other movies were, but good. this one was also left open for another sequel.

Now on to the technical review.

This movie is probably the best imaged of all movies ive watched, instead of the dialogue being center heavy it freely moved around the sound field as the position of the actors moved, as well as well image gunfire and explosions with room-shaking LFE. i give the audio a 10/10

I cannot comment on the picture because i watched it in SD

to sum it up i think anyone who enjoyed the previous terminators will enjoy this as well, but when compared to the others i am going to have to rate it a 8/10

p.s. if you didnt watch the previous series of terminators, you will probably think this movie is stupid and pointless because you will have no clue what is going on.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
if a MOD or ADMIN wants to merge this with the previous thread go for it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It happens. I just did it the other day too with 9, because the forum won't let you search for "9" becasue it is too short even though I knew there was already a thread.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If you'll get your post up a little, John, we'll let it slide... :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis