Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SearchofSub

Banned
I mostly listen to hip-hop and some rock. Yeah, I thnk its better that I go with the Lores and get a seperate sub later down the line since I am 85% movies.

As I was researching and reading some reviews on the Tektons, I have come to notice many use 2 channel amps to drive the speakers. On one article. a reviewer says he uses a Red-Wine Signature 15 amp and its a match made in heaven with the Lore's.

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question. What is the difference between a normal reciever (like the Denons and Pioneers and Onkyo's) compare to amps like Red-Wine Signature 15?

What are the benefits and negetives if I choose to get this amp ($1,500) and sell my normal reciever?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not sure if its my mind playing tricks, but seriously through the youtube videos I can kind of HEAR the Lores having similar chracteristics with the Wilson MAXX II or III than any other speakers that is put up on Youtube.
The problem is, if you actually could make out the sound character of a speaker from a recording of it playing through a recording, it would necessarily have to be a lower fidelity speaker than both the microphone used to record it, or the speakers you listened to them being played back on. Think about why this would be.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I mostly listen to hip-hop and some rock. Yeah, I thnk its better that I go with the Lores and get a seperate sub later down the line since I am 85% movies.

As I was researching and reading some reviews on the Tektons, I have come to notice many use 2 channel amps to drive the speakers. On one article. a reviewer says he uses a Red-Wine Signature 15 amp and its a match made in heaven with the Lore's.

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question. What is the difference between a normal reciever (like the Denons and Pioneers and Onkyo's) compare to amps like Red-Wine Signature 15?

What are the benefits and negetives if I choose to get this amp ($1,500) and sell my normal reciever?
My guess would be that the Lore's are a little harsh, which would make sense, and that the tube integrated tones that down. Tubes are generally considered warm and when matched with harsh, tend to tone down the harsh.

V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern
Assuming we're not getting trolled. Please don't buy speakers based on how they sound on YouTube. I never thought I would actually have to type that out. I have a pair of Philharmonic, KEF, EMPTek, and Tekton (M Lores), and while I like the sound of the Tektons they do not strike me as being better than the Phils or KEFs in the least and are definitely not the second coming of any deity. Most people on here and AVS will pretty quickly discount what you have to say if it is laced with such hyperbole.

As many have suggested, get off the computer and go and listen to some speakers for yourself. If I went with the first set of speakers that I read about online as being great without listening to them, I would've been thoroughly disappointed.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Problem is I cant demo the Tektons, and I have heard other speakers at local Frys or Bestbuy etc..\

I am not buying a pair of speakers based on Youtube videos, I am buying them based on pro-reviews/owners reviews.

The problem with your post is, honestly, its not really credible to me since I have read your post on AVSForum, and it seems like Eric forgot to drill grill holes on your M-lores. And because of it, you have a grudge with him..

Although I take it you are quite satisfied with them, even with forgotten grill holes since I see that you are keeping your pair of Tekton M-Lores...

The question that I really have is are two channel amps BETTER than a normal pio, or onkyo,or a denon reciever? Does anyone have experience with this? If not, I would rather save me the $1,500 from buying the Redwine Signature 15 and spend it on a sub etc..

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, don't buy any amps that sound like wine or chocolate, especially when they cost more than your speakers. :D

Your speakers and subs make the most impact, so they should get the majority of your budget and attention, not some red wine amps or chocolate amps or any amps. :)

I think Denon and Pioneer AVR alone will suffice. Save your hard earned money for the subs. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have a pair of Philharmonic, KEF, EMPTek, and Tekton (M Lores), and while I like the sound of the Tektons they do not strike me as being better than the Phils or KEFs in the least and are definitely not the second coming of any deity.
No surprise there. :D

So are you keeping all those speakers? :)

V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern
Problem is I cant demo the Tektons, and I have heard other speakers at local Frys or Bestbuy etc..\

I am not buying a pair of speakers based on Youtube videos, I am buying them based on pro-reviews/owners reviews.

The problem with your post is, honestly, its not really credible to me since I have read your post on AVSForum, and it seems like Eric forgot to drill grill holes on your M-lores. And because of it, you have a grudge with him..

Although I take it you are quite satisfied with them, even with forgotten grill holes since I see that you are keeping your pair of Tekton M-Lores...

The question that I really have is are two channel amps BETTER than a normal pio, or onkyo,or a denon reciever? Does anyone have experience with this? If not, I would rather save me the $1,500 from buying the Redwine Signature 15 and spend it on a sub etc..
I have no grudge against Eric nor have I been an ardent basher of him or Tekton on AVS, here or any other forum. I was apprehensive of posting that he failed to drill holes in my speakers and only provided that as a side note to Tektons somewhat problematic wait times. So discount my posts as you wish.

Nonetheless, with respect to receivers vs integrated two-channel or tube amps, I'd recommend using a receiver and getting a sub, especially if you are primarily using these for movies. I'd also suggest that you get a center channel speaker no matter how well the Tektons image.

In my M Lore setup, I'm using a two-channel tube amp and I'm quite satisfied with my setup. I initially was planning on adding an SVS SB1000 to this setup, but the bass from the M Lores is adequate for my room and I'm not watching movies in this room, so the deep bass on an LFE track is not something I'm using.

TL;DR save your money and pass on the redwine amp and get something less expensive (a Denon would be fine) and add a sub and center speaker to your setup.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I have no grudge against Eric nor have I been an ardent basher of him or Tekton on AVS, here or any other forum. I was apprehensive of posting that he failed to drill holes in my speakers and only provided that as a side note to Tektons somewhat problematic wait times. So discount my posts as you wish.

Nonetheless, with respect to receivers vs integrated two-channel or tube amps, I'd recommend using a receiver and getting a sub, especially if you are primarily using these for movies. I'd also suggest that you get a center channel speaker no matter how well the Tektons image.

In my M Lore setup, I'm using a two-channel tube amp and I'm quite satisfied with my setup. I initially was planning on adding an SVS SB1000 to this setup, but the bass from the M Lores is adequate for my room and I'm not watching movies in this room, so the deep bass on an LFE track is not something I'm using.

TL;DR save your money and pass on the redwine amp and get something less expensive (a Denon would be fine) and add a sub and center speaker to your setup.

Guess the amp is out and will save money for a sub instead. Thanks for clarification.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would add a sub if you listen to hip/hop, for rock they are great by themselves...

as for powering them, I have used them with my upa200 and they sound awesome {AND LOUD}, so if I were doing a stnad alone system I would go UPA200 and USP1 or if you only use digital devices and dont care about a tuner {Ipod, ipad, phones, cd player, ect} instead of the usp1 go with the XDA2....

I warned you about tekton and this site, its about the only brand that I have seen people say negative things about with out hearing them, while most wont come rite out and say something negative they say it other ways, like discrediting reviews or comparing them to other speakers that cost much more... I like my lores, are they the best thing since sliced bread? I dont know I have them hooked to a cheap $1200 tube amp in my bedroom 3 feet from each other pointed at my bed, so not optimal at all, and they still make me smile...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I warned you about tekton and this site, its about the only brand that I have seen people say negative things about with out hearing them...
Not really. Anytime a speaker is lauded over by the subjective reviews with no objective data it is called into question. What I find curious is that if the speakers are as good as everyone says they are (and I'm not saying they're not) and if the design has somehow managed to overcome what would appear to be obvious design flaws, why are there no measurements? Eric has no problem posting a measurement when it benefits him (i.e. the bass region measurement of the Lore's). So where are the rest? If they're that good and as accurate as he claims he could wipe away all the negative comments and make a lot of people eat their words just by providing on and off axis measurements on the product pages.

Also odd that he started off posting quite a few measurements (although all on axis), but then stopped.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not really. Anytime a speaker is lauded over by the subjective reviews with no objective data it is called into question. What I find curious is that if the speakers are as good as everyone says they are (and I'm not saying they're not) and if the design has somehow managed to overcome what would appear to be obvious design flaws, why are there no measurements? Eric has no problem posting a measurement when it benefits him (i.e. the bass region measurement of the Lore's). So where are the rest? If they're that good and as accurate as he claims he could wipe away all the negative comments and make a lot of people eat their words just by providing on and off axis measurements on the product pages.

Also odd that he started off posting quite a few measurements (although all on axis), but then stopped.
Another member asked Tekton that question. The response was that Tekton does not want other manufacturers to steal their "sound signature" design.

Nobody wants to steal the sound signature of Salon2, Blade, TAD R1, etc, but they want to steal Tekton. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Why should Tekton bother posting measurements? Not many people buy speakers because of good or bad measurements. They see some nice big shiny speakers with big woofers and lots of tweeters, and how can that sound bad. Tekton isn't catering to the measurements crowd with their pocket protectors and inhalers and their big calculators with all those crazy buttons. No, Tekton products are for those elite few who know what looks good sounds good. I mean, my god, just look at this speaker, it looks as though it was forged in the very heavens above:
Seas-Pendragon2.jpg

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Why should Tekton bother posting measurements? Not many people buy speakers because of good or bad measurements. They see some nice big shiny speakers with big woofers and lots of tweeters, and how can that sound bad. Tekton isn't catering to the measurements crowd with their pocket protectors and inhalers and their big calculators with all those crazy buttons. No, Tekton products are for those elite few who know what looks good sounds good. I mean, my god, just look at this speaker, it looks as though it was forged in the very heavens above:
I definitely LOL'ed when I read that. Cheers :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Another member asked Tekton that question. The response was that Tekton does not want other manufacturers to steal their "sound signature" design.

Nobody wants to steal the sound signature of Salon2, Blade, TAD R1, etc, but they want to steal Tekton. :D
I was browsing through the official Tekton blog and I saw that in many of the early postings Eric posted on axis measurements of quite a few models. As far as I could tell there was no sound signature other than a reasonably flat bass section above 40hz or so coupled to a mediocre everything else.

Also odd that most of the people pushing Tekton scoff at the objective, but then you go through all those pains to hide the objective data? I think I'll go listen to my Phil 3's for awhile.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

I can't tell ya, but I will tell you this, he can not keep up with the demand, and I have yet to see ONE owner show pics of their system and say it sounded like crap, and one more thing, I asked him to let me know when he had something returned because a friend of mine heard my lores and wants a set no matter the finish, and that was a 8 months ago, my buddy ended up just ordering a set and is just dealing with the wait time....

In my opinion if you are going to say something negative about a product, you should have experience with it, not seen a picture and made assumptions. That's like a person seeing a picture of an entree and an ingredients list and saying "that is going to taste terrible because they used cilantro instead of basil"... a sound system sounds good to the person listening...

I can tell you first hand, I like the lores, they are worth the money he charges, they have a style to them that is plain but appealing. Mine are in satin red and everyone that sees them comments on the finish...

They may not be for everyone, but they fit me, I wanted something different for the bedroom {not wood grain}, that would play at a good volume with a low power amp...

I don't mean to offend anyone, your opinion is yours, but at least hear the things and if you feel that strongly about it put your money where your mouth is and buy a set {only $1000}, measure them, and then post what you find, I don't think it will be a negative review because I have had some "audio guys" listen to the lores {my bedroom is huge, I have a small sofa and 2 recliners in there as well as over a half dozen other pieces of furniture and a King size bed} and all were impressed for the price, a couple bought the brand after hearing them....

I recommend if you are in the market for a 2.0 channel music system you look into them, I am happy with mine, and I have returned speakers that cause more and less then the lores because I didnt like the sound...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I can't tell ya, but I will tell you this, he can not keep up with the demand, and I have yet to see ONE owner show pics of their system and say it sounded like crap, and one more thing, I asked him to let me know when he had something returned because a friend of mine heard my lores and wants a set no matter the finish, and that was a 8 months ago, my buddy ended up just ordering a set and is just dealing with the wait time....
I feel like that's a cop out. No one is shelled out thousands of dollars for a pair of speakers is going to go jump on any forum and talk about how bad they are. If, for no other reason, because they still have to unload them on someone else. Also, I've seen more than a few come up for sale in the used market, so not everyone has been in love with them. He charges a restocking fee, unless things have changed plus you have to pay return shipping. It's cheaper to just sell them used.

I believe I read somewhere that it's a one or very few man show over there. If that's true, a backlog doesn't exactly take hundreds of orders, especially if the finishing part is being done right, which by your own comments about yours, it is.

In my opinion if you are going to say something negative about a product, you should have experience with it, not seen a picture and made assumptions. That's like a person seeing a picture of an entree and an ingredients list and saying "that is going to taste terrible because they used cilantro instead of basil"... a sound system sounds good to the person listening...
Some of the comments have been unfounded and I agree that those were uncalled for. However, some of the negative comments have been based in science and physics. If you don't care to understand what goes into making a loudspeaker then that's fine, but there are guys that do who have criticized the loudspeaker and it is far from an assumption. What "sounds good" to any individual is totally subjective in nature. All the arguments against the Tekton's that I've paid any attention to have to do with the objective. I don't have anything against Tekton per se or the people who buy and own them. However, what does wrinkle me the wrong way is that they claim to be especially accurate without providing any proof. Being accurate is not subjective. It is objective and therefore proof must be provided in order to make such a claim, which Tekton, specifically Eric, has done.

I can tell you first hand, I like the lores, they are worth the money he charges, they have a style to them that is plain but appealing. Mine are in satin red and everyone that sees them comments on the finish...
They may not be for everyone, but they fit me, I wanted something different for the bedroom {not wood grain}, that would play at a good volume with a low power amp... [/QUOTE]

Personally I think they look pretty cool and I've said multiple times that I'd love to hear a pair. That being said, a finish is only part of what makes a great loudspeaker and for me, a small part.

Which is fine and if you like them then power to ya. Personally I would have gone for something that is more of a known quantity and has all the objective stuff to go with the high eff, and are cheaper to boot.

I don't mean to offend anyone, your opinion is yours, but at least hear the things and if you feel that strongly about it put your money where your mouth is and buy a set {only $1000}, measure them, and then post what you find, I don't think it will be a negative review because I have had some "audio guys" listen to the lores {my bedroom is huge, I have a small sofa and 2 recliners in there as well as over a half dozen other pieces of furniture and a King size bed} and all were impressed for the price, a couple bought the brand after hearing them....

I recommend if you are in the market for a 2.0 channel music system you look into them, I am happy with mine, and I have returned speakers that cause more and less then the lores because I didnt like the sound...
Well, the same could be said the other way. Put your money where your mouth is and buy an omnimic system and measure the speakers you already have. Takes about half an hour or less to get on axis out to 60 degrees off axis measurements and put it all to bed. I already have my dedicated two channel speakers picked out and I'm in the process of saving up for the build. Speakers I know for a fact that I'll be beyond pleased with. Much better money spent, for me personally, than on something that's a complete tossup.

C

chaluga

Junior Audioholic
Hey,
I own a pair of oriel 10's and love them. I don't drink the tekton kool-aid and because of their wait times to get their products I haven't recommended them to people. It looks like it might be improving recently for production times but not where it needs to be for an ID company. My process for choosing them involved :

Reading every review of any speaker in the 1k area both by published reviewers and owners. I have followed several writers for years and have read numerous reviews by them and if i feel they are balanced writers then I use their review. THis is obviously subjective since I never meet the people, except for emails to them. Most writers are very good at getting back to you and I will ask them questions about their allegiance to a product , etc. I don't take their review like its the gospel .. just add it to the pile. For owners I try to find a educated post that doesn't talk about things like "their the greatest " etc. THis process lasted six months for me and I bought them six months ago.
My use is 90% home theater and I was looking at speakers specifically for movies. I tend to like products that are a bit offbeat and when I phoned Tekton I guess I was lucky in that Eric talked to me for an hour and was very good in the follow up over the next few weeks.(not so with other people)

I understand the Points by Fuzz and AcuDEF in terms of measurements and that the design is unusual/flawed. For myself (not trying to tell others how to do it) I felt that the 8-10 pro reviews that were all very positive were important and the fact that Eric would paint a custom unique color for me for free. My second choice was KEF Q900's from accessories4less for 1300. They have all the measurements and good reviews. The final turning point in favour of the tektons was that my previous speakers were B&W which I had for 10 years and I wanted something different then the british sound I was used too. I agree that choosing them is a risk but I take risks some times. THree weeks ago I went up a hill on a quad which I shouldn't have and flipped it on myself. Fractured my back in two places. Had a lot of time in the last three weeks to listen to my oriels and still love them.

S

SearchofSub

Banned

They may not be for everyone, but they fit me, I wanted something different for the bedroom {not wood grain}, that would play at a good volume with a low power amp...

Just curious why you are not using the Lore's as your main HT set-up. Is it too musical for HT? (if there is such a thing). I see that you have the Ascends CMT-340's as your main HT gear. Are the Ascends better for HT movies? Or maybe you bought the Ascends 5.1 system before buying the Lores and just decided to stick with the Ascends because you have the 5.1 in Ascends and only 2.0 for the Lores? Just curious because I'm all about HT movies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis