Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SearchofSub

Banned
I can't tell ya, but I will tell you this, he can not keep up with the demand, and I have yet to see ONE owner show pics of their system and say it sounded like crap, and one more thing, I asked him to let me know when he had something returned because a friend of mine heard my lores and wants a set no matter the finish, and that was a 8 months ago, my buddy ended up just ordering a set and is just dealing with the wait time....

In my opinion if you are going to say something negative about a product, you should have experience with it, not seen a picture and made assumptions. That's like a person seeing a picture of an entree and an ingredients list and saying "that is going to taste terrible because they used cilantro instead of basil"... a sound system sounds good to the person listening...

I can tell you first hand, I like the lores, they are worth the money he charges, they have a style to them that is plain but appealing. Mine are in satin red and everyone that sees them comments on the finish...

They may not be for everyone, but they fit me, I wanted something different for the bedroom {not wood grain}, that would play at a good volume with a low power amp...

I don't mean to offend anyone, your opinion is yours, but at least hear the things and if you feel that strongly about it put your money where your mouth is and buy a set {only $1000}, measure them, and then post what you find, I don't think it will be a negative review because I have had some "audio guys" listen to the lores {my bedroom is huge, I have a small sofa and 2 recliners in there as well as over a half dozen other pieces of furniture and a King size bed} and all were impressed for the price, a couple bought the brand after hearing them....

I recommend if you are in the market for a 2.0 channel music system you look into them, I am happy with mine, and I have returned speakers that cause more and less then the lores because I didnt like the sound...

Well for what its worth I am gonna order my Tekton eNZO's tommorow along with the Hsu VTF 2.4 (as ShadyJ suggested) going 2.1 for all music and movies etc. When i buy electronic equipments and have even a HINT of disliking it (any product) I send the sh!t back right away, and I am usually critical about my purchases so once I recieve the enzo's, I'll post a brief review of how I like them in my room ONLY.

Althogh its gonna cost me a few hundred bucks to ship the enzo's back, I figure its better that I pay a few hundred bucks than be stuck with a set of speakers I dont like that I paid $2,000 for. Based on many reviews of the whole Tekton speaker line, I highly doubt this will be the case but who knows.

Will post review..

S

SearchofSub

Banned
what does "musical" even mean?

Don't know really, I just figure that was the word to use since so many reviews praise it for its "musical" capabilities. Stereiphile's review of the Pendragons says somthing like "You buy these speakers ONLY for music and its for music lovers etc..

So I figure there might be a difference in sound for movies vs. music because its somewhat puzzling to me that he's not using the Lore's for home theatre movie applications..

But ofcourse we dont know the whole story..

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Can you provide a link to Stereophile's review of the Pendragon speaker?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end

THree weeks ago I went up a hill on a quad which I shouldn't have and flipped it on myself. Fractured my back in two places. Had a lot of time in the last three weeks to listen to my oriels and still love them.
Oh, man, sorry to hear that! :(

I think some of us voice our opinions pros and cons, but at the end of the day, the ONLY thing that matters is our enjoyment of the sound and everything else like measurements and reviews are superfluous.

I used to own a DefTech BP7000SC/BP7001SC/CLR3000/Trinity system, which I liked immensely. And I believe I would have still enjoyed the sound tremendously if I had never sold them and bought my current menagerie. :D

We should just enjoy what we own and add a few subs + Audyssey XT32. ;)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Just curious why you are not using the Lore's as your main HT set-up. Is it too musical for HT? (if there is such a thing). I see that you have the Ascends CMT-340's as your main HT gear. Are the Ascends better for HT movies? Or maybe you bought the Ascends 5.1 system before buying the Lores and just decided to stick with the Ascends because you have the 5.1 in Ascends and only 2.0 for the Lores? Just curious because I'm all about HT movies...
I use my ascends in the theater because they sound good in there and a center for the lores is pretty large, not really "under the tv" friendly... The cmt340s and the lores are very different... the ascends are very warm and accurate where the tektons are capable of going a little lower and sound great with music {they will sound fine for ht too}...

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Just a bit of a note on those measurements. The reviewer says they look amazingly flat, but uses a 110db scale and what appears to be 1/6th octave smoothing.

I'm not saying those are bad measurements "as presented", but not enough is really presented to call those useful on-axis. The off-axis measurements do tell us there's a virtual suckout of energy in the upper midrange/lower treble, which correlates pretty well to masking harsh bad recordings.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I read a pro-review or a owners review on the Pendragons the other day saying something like "I dont know how to explain this but it seems like bad recordings sound good and good recordings sound natural and even better, getting the best of both worlds".

Maybe that explains whats happening??

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I got this from a new ENZO's reviewer at AVsforum.

"I switched amps and XLR cables and what a difference. Sounding phenominal now.
I was using some new 1m Choseal XLR's (fancy thick chinese cables) between the Pre and amp.
Also was using an italian amp that had sounded good before with my previous speakers.
Now some 0.5m Van Damme silver plated XLR's with an Emotiva XPA-200.
Don't know if it was the cables tongue.gif or just a better match of the amp to the speakers or that I left them on overnight playing music or even if my brain is just adjusting to the new sound.
The Van Damme cables are not too expensive. Something like these
Custom Length RED VAN Damme Cable PRO Balanced Studio Quality Microphone Lead | eBay

Had a mate around when I first hooked them up and he has some Tekton Lore speakers. Got to get him around again to see what he thinks now.

Playing "Chris Jones - Roadhouses & Automobiles" and it is sounding amazing.
Edited by rocky500 - Today at 2:33 am

Maybe Amps do matter with the Tektons..

The reason why I mentioned the RedWine Signature-15 amp w/ Morpheus cables and Lore-S was because a pro reviewer (PartTimeAudiphille) wrote a article with the exact above set-up.

He mentioned that the Red-wine signature is totally flat and SILENT..

So his experience was that with this combo, when a source or soundtrack played a parrticular "thunder" or "lightning" sound, he freaked out because he felt that there was a real thunder that struck outside lol.. Thats how "live" or "real" the combo sounded together..

Last edited:
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It could be that the amp makes a huge difference, or it could be that subjective reviews are uniformly awful and are often just people putting their preconceived biases on paper. I'll let you take your pick.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You have to get the speakers there and try them out, I have tried different amps and I like the Emo stuff in general, it sounds just like the much more expensive stuff and seems to hold up well... I am not one to spend $10K on an amp, I think the Crown XLS amps sound awesome...

But anyway you have to start somewhere, I like to play around and move stuff from here to there and change amps for this system to that one. I have found some good sounding combos with out spending much money at all, I can tell you the XPA2 is about the best sounding music amp I have ever heard and it is about the cheapest, also the dayton apa150 is a GREAT sounding integrated amp for very little money.

A quick story for you, I had an apa150 powering my Boston CS26s with a dayton sub800, the entire system cost me $325 {with the cables}, a friend of mine heard it one day at my office and asked what it was, so I told him it was a new 2.1 setup I put together for under $400 {he is a Mcintosh owner, has a beautiful 2.0 system with a 2275 powering some La scalas, that sounds incredible}, he listened for a few songs while I got my stuff together {we were going to lunch}, and had that "not too shabby" look on his face...

So at lunch he brought up the stereo system, and I told him all the components, and that I tried a few different things and them worked together, I bought all of them here and there and after trying a few combos they sounded really nice... The trick was crossing the bookshelfs with fmods and not expecting much from the $80 powered subwoofer, leave it low and set the x-over to match the fmods... When we got back to my office he listened some more and couldn't believe how good they sounded, I was surprised he was making such a big deal out of this cheap system, after all he has a lot of expensive equipment at home...

Anyway long story short he buys everything I had and duplicated the system, he tells people all the time {actually brought it up to one of the emotiva reps at the Boston meet and greet} that he listens to that cheap system more than any other system he owns... Find what you like and play music through it, that is all that matters, I have since changed that system around 5 times and got it to sound even better IMO, I tell him about changes I made and he says he wont dare touch it, he also told me that he had a friend of his wife over that heard the system and went and ordered it exactly the same rite from his pc, lol....

So buy it play with it and enjoy it, try not too obsess over what others think and say, just start with what appeals to you and go from there... I have a ton of separate systems, I have a system in pretty much every room of my house, including bathrooms, all tasteful since I am married, and obviously not all the same, all serve a different purpose...

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Maybe.. but its possible that since the Tektons are so true to the source that with this particular speaker brand, it doses make a difference..

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Posted ImcLoud

You have to get the speakers there and try them out, I have tried different amps and I like the Emo stuff in general, it sounds just like the much more expensive stuff and seems to hold up well... I am not one to spend $10K on an amp, I think the Crown XLS amps sound awesome...

But anyway you have to start somewhere, I like to play around and move stuff from here to there and change amps for this system to that one. I have found some good sounding combos with out spending much money at all, I can tell you the XPA2 is about the best sounding music amp I have ever heard and it is about the cheapest, also the dayton apa150 is a GREAT sounding integrated amp for very little money.

A quick story for you, I had an apa150 powering my Boston CS26s with a dayton sub800, the entire system cost me $325 {with the cables}, a friend of mine heard it one day at my office and asked what it was, so I told him it was a new 2.1 setup I put together for under $400 {he is a Mcintosh owner, has a beautiful 2.0 system with a 2275 powering some La scalas, that sounds incredible}, he listened for a few songs while I got my stuff together {we were going to lunch}, and had that "not too shabby" look on his face...

So at lunch he brought up the stereo system, and I told him all the components, and that I tried a few different things and them worked together, I bought all of them here and there and after trying a few combos they sounded really nice... The trick was crossing the bookshelfs with fmods and not expecting much from the $80 powered subwoofer, leave it low and set the x-over to match the fmods... When we got back to my office he listened some more and couldn't believe how good they sounded, I was surprised he was making such a big deal out of this cheap system, after all he has a lot of expensive equipment at home...

Anyway long story short he buys everything I had and duplicated the system, he tells people all the time {actually brought it up to one of the emotiva reps at the Boston meet and greet} that he listens to that cheap system more than any other system he owns... Find what you like and play music through it, that is all that matters, I have since changed that system around 5 times and got it to sound even better IMO, I tell him about changes I made and he says he wont dare touch it, he also told me that he had a friend of his wife over that heard the system and went and ordered it exactly the same rite from his pc, lol....

So buy it play with it and enjoy it, try not too obsess over what others think and say, just start with what appeals to you and go from there... I have a ton of separate systems, I have a system in pretty much every room of my house, including bathrooms, all tasteful since I am married, and obviously not all the same, all serve a different purpose..

Yeah it really does seem like cables and amps and speaker acceosries do make a difference. Add those up little by little here and there and overall you get a better sound for less money. Its good and refreshing to know that more cost dosent necessarilly mean better.

I just hung up with Eric on the phone, told him my listening prefernces (90% movies/10% music) and my room layout and size and he recommended the Mini-Lore as fronts, custom made M-Lore bipoles for sorrounds and a custom made sub that go down to 18 hz that will be crossed over at 50 with the M-Lores.

Total cost is around $2,500 which is great for my budget.

Anyway, he could've pushed me to buy the Lore's or even the eNZO's and I wouldve been sucker for it, but he suggested the M-Lores which was a very good surprise for me.

I dont understand all the negative comments about him on AVSforum...
I take it that people who did not get the speakers in time just simply stopped calling alltogether... and since he is so swamped with orders he forgot about the orders lol..
My advice is to just keep in touch once a week or something to check up on your order...

From what I read on the internet many are curious about Tekton subs as well.. For what its worth, the Tekton speakers are praised for bass performance so I am sure the custom made Tekton sub will be great. I will specifically post a review of the Tekton sub that go down to 18hz on another thread.. It's gonna be a custom made $1,000 sub designed specifically to be crossed at 50 with the M-Lores.

Anyway, he said the bipoles sorrounds will take a little longer than the sub so I am expecting my full set-up within 2 monthes.

Will post review of M-Lore 4.1 once I get them in! (skipping center because I actually prefer no center)

P.S. When I spoke to Eric tonigtht I couldnt order because it was like 9:00 p.m and he was out with his company team having dinner so I am gonna place my order tommorow. I told him that I would eventually get the eNZO's for 2.0 music maybe a year down the line and asked him what amps and cables he recommends with his eNZO's. He said he has a few of them, and that he will tell me tommorow. Will post the amps list that Eric recommends with the eNZO's once I get the list.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe.. but its possible that since the Tektons are so efficient and true to the source that with this particular brand, it doses make a difference..
No, being more efficient will not make a difference in cables.

The world is full of people with a LOT of imagination, and reading many reviews out there often consists of "what nonsense will they spend the next paragraph on".

Trust me, don't believe most of what reviews - forum posts or so-called """""professionals""""" - say. Only trust your own ears and quality measurements. The rest can all throw you into depths of delusion.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. It does seem like a professional reviewer (PartTimeAudiphile) and a normal consumer like the poster on AVSforum as well as ImcLoud are pretty firm about difference being there between cables and amps etc.

I myself is not going to get new cables, just a plain old 14awg speaker wire that I got from monoprice running it on a plain 7.1 reciever with hdmi cables that I also got from monoprice.

One thing I can say though, and this is from my own experience, the HDMI that I had before which was a no name brand, and the HDMI cable that I got from monoprice DID make a difference in Video. The picture was more sharp and detailed for one...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not so sure about that. It does seem like a professional reviewer (PartTimeAudiphile) and a normal consumer like the poster on AVSforum as well as ImcLoud are pretty firm about difference being there between cables and amps etc.

I myself is not going to get new cables, just a plain old 14awg speaker wire that I got from monoprice running it on a plain 7.1 reciever with hdmi cables that I also got from monoprice.

One thing I can say though, and this is from my own experience, the HDMI that I had before which was a no name brand, and the HDMI cable that I got from monoprice DID make a difference in Video. The picture was more sharp and detailed for one...
Well it's the difference between science and psychology. Which you choose to believe is totally up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis