Taking Measurements For Audyssey Calibration

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know what your version of Audyssey shows on the screen but on my X3300 it actually shows specifically where to put the mic for each measurement. Yes you always start with the main listening position. You should not put the mic within 6 inches of the back of the chair. Also, don't put the mic lower than the back of the chair. Don't get too caught up in having the mic exactly where your head would be. Screwed up measurements from having your chair interfere with them is not a good thing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know what your version of Audyssey shows on the screen but on my X3300 it actually shows specifically where to put the mic for each measurement. Yes you always start with the main listening position. You should not put the mic within 6 inches of the back of the chair. Also, don't put the mic lower than the back of the chair. Don't get too caught up in having the mic exactly where your head would be. Screwed up measurements from having your chair interfere with them is not a good thing.
I have a Denon AVR X1200W with MultEQ XT. No guide or anything, but I can look it up easily enough I guess.

Also, I have a recliner in the MLP. What I usually do is put the back of the seat down when I take measurements so the mic is above the back of the chair and far enough away from it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Pogre what are you using to hold the mic in place? I us
I just got my new mic. The old one stopped functioning and I've been using one from a different model. Then I discovered that many have mics calibrated specifically for individual units. Called Denon and they sent me a replacement free of charge.

I'm going to do the circle @lovinthehd suggested. Now, do I take the first measurement right where I sit, then take the rest in a circle aound it? I also plan to drape a thick blanket over the back of my chair to reduce reflection.
They are not calibrated for individual units. Maybe wide swaths of licensed avrs with a general calibration file :)

I put the mic pretty much where my head would be in my usual seat, then use a mic boom to place the mic in 7 other positions around that. I've done the draping of stuff on my leather sofa but haven't found it makes much difference in my room.

I have a Denon AVR X1200W with MultEQ XT. No guide or anything, but I can look it up easily enough I guess.

Also, I have a recliner in the MLP. What I usually do is put the back of the seat down when I take measurements so the mic is above the back of the chair and far enough away from it.
None of my Audyssey avrs have any kind of indication where to put the mic outside of the manual's suggestions (and got most of what I've gathered from the extensive threads on the subject at avsforum) and some experimentation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay! I just took new measurements and did all 8. Apparently I never paid attention to the screen before, but it does show a pattern for placing the mic. I followed that, but shrunk it down to just my seat.

Pretty big difference. the eq is pretty close to what it was before, but distances and levels changed by quite a bit. I'm running a little bit hotter than before. Audyssey basically turned everything up. mains went from about -4 to 0 and the subs were dialed up to -4.5 from -9.5. Placed the speakers and subs further away,

Not sure if it's placebo because all the levels were raised, but I think it sounds much better now. For me, taking all 8 in a circle from the mlp produced more desirable results.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay! I just took new measurements and did all 8. Apparently I never paid attention to the screen before, but it does show a pattern for placing the mic. I followed that, but shrunk it down to just my seat.

Pretty big difference. the eq is pretty close to what it was before, but distances and levels changed by quite a bit. I'm running a little bit hotter than before. Audyssey basically turned everything up. mains went from about -4 to 0 and the subs were dialed up to -4.5 from -9.5. Placed the speakers and subs further away,

Not sure if it's placebo because all the levels were raised, but I think it sounds much better now. For me, taking all 8 in a circle from the mlp produced more desirable results.
If you're judging the eq applied from the graphic in the avr, from most accounts this isn't much to rely on to the point of being useless.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre what are you using to hold the mic in place? I us
Unfinished thoughts much? :p
I get the gist. I use the cardboard tripod that came with my receiver.
I put the mic pretty much where my head would be in my usual seat, then use a mic boom to place the mic in 7 other positions around that. I've done the draping of stuff on my leather sofa but haven't found it makes much difference in my room.
Not exactly, but pretty much what I did. Kept it pretty tight and in one seat.
None of my Audyssey avrs have any kind of indication where to put the mic outside of the manual's suggestions (and got most of what I've gathered from the extensive threads on the subject at avsforum) and some experimentation.
It showed a pattern, more or less on the screen suggesting where to place the mic next. I followed that pattern, but kept it all within my seat.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you're judging the eq applied from the graphic in the avr, from most accounts this isn't much to rely on to the point of being useless.
The curve copy from manual eq. I'm assuming those are the copied eq settings applied by Audyssey?

Yeah, I was thinking the eq tweaks wouldn't account for much, but I like where it put me for levels and distances.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfinished thoughts much? :p
I get the gist. I use the cardboard tripod that came with my receiver.

Not exactly, but pretty much what I did. Kept it pretty tight and in one seat.

It showed a pattern, more or less on the screen suggesting where to place the mic next. I followed that pattern, but kept it all within my seat.
I added the other post and got distracted :) Squirrel!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The curve copy from manual eq. I'm assuming those are the copied eq settings applied by Audyssey?

Yeah, I was thinking the eq tweaks wouldn't account for much, but I like where it put me for levels and distances.
The thinking on the transfer to manual eq is that it's not as extensive in terms of filters used, and why would Audyssey give it away so to speak....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The thinking on the transfer to manual eq is that it's not as extensive in terms of filters used, and why would Audyssey give it away so to speak....
That makes so much sense! I can tell there's a difference between the 2 (Audyssey and curve copy). In fact, that was a future thread topic for me.

I'm about 3 songs in on this calibration, and I'm convinced it's better. Things are a little brighter (good for me, tinnitus). I can hear cymbals more clearly now. Sounds fuller.

*Edit: Either that or I'm in placebo heaven. I swear, everything sounds cleaner. Less muffled?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've listened to a couple of cd's now and there's no question I'm hearing more. Especially in the higher frequencies. I'm hearing nuances on symbol work that I hadn't noticed before. This makes me very happy. The bass seems better too. Like I'm getting more of it. Not just more volume, if that makes sense.

Would bumping the trim up on my subs by 5db have to do with smoothing? If I understand correctly it's better to trim frequencies as opposed to bumping them. In my mind that makes sense if some of the nulls are dialed down to match any peaks. Then you would have to bump the trim overall for the sub. Is that right or even close?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I followed that pattern, but kept it all within my seat.
You should still keep some space between each positions, I would say 12 inches or so. Audyssey can do a better job if it gets more information about your room. It really doesn't average the data, but rather it use the additional information to do a better job overall for your main listening position. Now go do it again.:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You should still keep some space between each positions, I would say 12 inches or so. Audyssey can do a better job if it gets more information about your room. It really doesn't average the data, but rather it use the additional information to do a better job overall for your main listening position. Now go do it again.:D
:confused:

Not today. Wife and kids are home now and it's too much bother getting everyone to be quiet long enough to take 8 measurements. I'd say I put about 6" in between each measurement. My "circle" (more of a square, really) is over a foot in diameter. Are you saying to extend my tripod to ear height from the floor and take some behind me? Like, around the recliner I'm sitting in, instead of keeping it to the actual seat?

*Edit: I have a console between my seat and the other. Should I take measurements from the other seat as well, or would that take away from the mlp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That makes so much sense! I can tell there's a difference between the 2 (Audyssey and curve copy). In fact, that was a future thread topic for me.

I'm about 3 songs in on this calibration, and I'm convinced it's better. Things are a little brighter (good for me, tinnitus). I can hear cymbals more clearly now. Sounds fuller.

*Edit: Either that or I'm in placebo heaven. I swear, everything sounds cleaner. Less muffled?

Pleasing placebos are still good, right? :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Not today. Wife and kids are home now and it's too much bother getting everyone to be quiet long enough to take 8 measurements. I'd say I put about 6" in between each measurement. My "circle" (more of a square, really) is over a foot in diameter. Are you saying to extend my tripod to ear height from the floor and take some behind me? Like, around the recliner I'm sitting in, instead of keeping it to the actual seat?

*Edit: I have a console between my seat and the other. Should I take measurements from the other seat as well, or would that take away from the mlp?
Even as a single guy I have to pick my times for measurements carefully, particularly as we have 8 daily freight trains not very far away....amazing how their sounds can carry (and we're in somewhat of a valley). I use measurements all around my seat, including in back; I'd just cluster around the main seat (which I imagine in most cases would be central to the room somewhat as well).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

People like to do their own thing that works best for them, but to start, I strongly suggest you follow instructions.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347423-Microphone-placement-

Jokes aside, if you like the way it sounds now, then leave it alone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
People like to do their own thing that works best for them, but to start, I strongly suggest you follow instructions.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347423-Microphone-placement-

Jokes aside, if you like the way it sounds now, then leave it alone.
It does sound better. I think half the time I was taking measurements with the back of my chair up. This time I made sure to lean it all the way back so the mic was well above it. that also gave me a little more area for placing my mic on the seat.

I'm off work for a while so I have time for messing around with stuff like this. I've been trying a lot of different things I've read about here and at avs. Sometimes it doesn't always work, some have made significant improvements without costing me a dime. This is one that paid off. I'll try spacing them out a little further apart tomorrow and see what happens.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Alright. This is the most effort I've put into taking measurements. First time I've use all the extensions on the tripod too. I was very careful to make sure all the measurements were above the back of the chair.

Took pics so you guys can see how I placed the mic for each.

Attachments

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm getting roughly the same sq as the previous method, which is good. I can definitely see how more measurements help dial it in. Got the distances almost exactly the same as last time.

Also, I'd like to properly level match my subs with an actual spl meter. Will this one be sufficient, or do I need to bump the budget up a little bit?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Never seen that meter before, but I'd guess it's better than a phone app meter! Lol
I can't say one way or another about your mic placements. I will disclose the level of my own OCD though lol. IMO, laying the seat back only benefits you if you actually listen that way. I have a couple of gel insert pillows(like the kind for your bed) that I set on my couch and then place my audyssey mic, and umik on for measurements. IMO this replicates my body density and to my little brain, audyssey should EQ as if I were in my seat. Just .02 loco pesos!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis