Taking Measurements For Audyssey Calibration

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@lovinthehd, a couple others and I started touching on this subject in another thread. I figured I'd bring the discussion into a new one instead of hijacking @Klipschhead302's thread again. :p

When taking measurements for Audyssey is it best to get as many as possible (I can take up to 7) for Audyssey to gather as much data as it can, or is this a case of less is more? As in "too many eq filters can spoil the pudding", to paraphrase my forum friend @William Lemmerhirt. Is it better to get as few measurements as allowed to keep it simpler?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If your speakers have a neutral response, the only thing Audyssey can really do for you is take down some of the peaks in the bass range. You will want to measure the room response at your listening position yourself. I recommend taking a measurement, running Audyssey, taking a post audyssey measurement, and comparing them. My guess is, in a room like yours, Audyssey will not be making any major adjustments, except perhaps below 200 Hz. I would just run one audyssey sweep at YOUR listening position: let everyone else suffer with an inferior response, after all they didn't pay for the system!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If your speakers have a neutral response, the only thing Audyssey can really do for you is take down some of the peaks in the bass range. You will want to measure the room response at your listening position yourself. I recommend taking a measurement, running Audyssey, taking a post audyssey measurement, and comparing them. My guess is, in a room like yours, Audyssey will not be making any major adjustments, except perhaps below 200 Hz. I would just run one audyssey sweep at YOUR listening position: let everyone else suffer with an inferior response, after all they didn't pay for the system!
Ha! That's what I'd like to try, but I have to take a minimum of 3 measurements before it will let me "finish". I put the mic first in the primary seat, second in the seat right beside me (about 18"-2' away) then the third back at primary. I was thinking about doing all 3 in the primary spot. Or all 7? That was the discussion starting in 'Head's thread.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can do all the measurements in one spot. Of course, Audyssey will then only correct for that one spot.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, just leave the mic in one spot. Or try the triangle thing. That worked great for me, but I had to wrestle with a boom stand. Might as well experiment. Not like you've got anything else to do...lmao!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can do all the measurements in one spot. Of course, Audyssey will then only correct for that one spot.
So then just take the 3 required and stop at that. Doing all 7 wouldn't provide any more info because it's in the same spot? Like, total overkill?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, just leave the mic in one spot. Or try the triangle thing. That worked great for me, but I had to wrestle with a boom stand. Might as well experiment. Not like you've got anything else to do...lmao!
Yeah, right? The triangle looks like something neat to try. I use the little cardboard adjustable tripod that came with my receiver so "wrestling" with it is pretty easy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The triangle makes sense to me; you're basically trying to create a wider sweet spot for the mlp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The triangle makes sense to me; you're basically trying to create a wider sweet spot for the mlp.
Or use the MLP as center then use a circle around it with the rest of the mic positions....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just tried the triangle. So far, so good. I'm either detecting or placebo-ing an improvement. It set my speakers to small I think for the first time. XO at 40hz. I left it that way for a song, then bumped it up to 60, then 80 again. I'm having trouble deciding whether I like 60 or 80 better. Audyssey also trimmed my subs 1 more db to -9.5. I gave it the usual 3 db bump.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just tried the triangle. So far, so good. I'm either detecting or placebo-ing an improvement. It set my speakers to small I think for the first time. XO at 40hz. I left it that way for a song, then bumped it up to 60, then 80 again. I'm having trouble deciding whether I like 60 or 80 better. Audyssey also trimmed my subs 1 more db to -9.5. I gave it the usual 3 db bump.
Nice! Curious about your impressions after an album or so. You need an excuse anyways right? I know I always do. "Sorry honey, long night of testing ahead".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice! Curious about your impressions after an album or so. You need an excuse anyways right? I know I always do. "Sorry honey, long night of testing ahead".
I'm gonna run with it for a couple days. When I get my replacement mic I'll try the circle.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey pogre, if you need something to read, this is a good one, and it's where i saw the triangle. It also reminded me of something. When I run audyssey, and therefore when i do critical listening, I put a nice blanket on the back of my leather couch. Helps a lot with reflections of the back. Try it, it's free, and even without a calibration with the blanket, it helps.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/118706-data-supporting-single-setup-mic-position-audyssey-dirac-live.html

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Hey pogre, if you need something to read, this is a good one, and it's where i saw the triangle.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/audio-processing/118706-data-supporting-single-setup-mic-position-audyssey-dirac-live.html
What William said. Wayne Myer (AudiocRaver) at HTS has done numerous experiments with mic placements for auto EQ systems and concludes that either single-position measurements, or a few tightly spaced, results in the best imaging. I expect the reason is (as you mentioned in your opening post) that multiple spread-out measurements probably results in not only too much equalization, but mismatched filters in the L/R speakers. In my experience manually equalizing, this results in peculiar artifacts that affect imaging.

BTW, AudiocRaver has a link in his signature that will take you to other articles he's written on this topic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
@lovinthehd, a couple others and I started touching on this subject in another thread. I figured I'd bring the discussion into a new one instead of hijacking @Klipschhead302's thread again. :p

When taking measurements for Audyssey is it best to get as many as possible (I can take up to 7) for Audyssey to gather as much data as it can, or is this a case of less is more? As in "too many eq filters can spoil the pudding", to paraphrase my forum friend @William Lemmerhirt. Is it better to get as few measurements as allowed to keep it simpler?
Lol not to hijack your thread but I've read several times now where you have stated that you prefer Audyssey over other calibration available through other manufacturers. I'm curious if you have any experience with YPAO 64bit and if so why do you prefer Audyssey over it or if you haven't then why over the 32bit version. Thx

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol not to hijack your thread but I've read several times now where you have stated that you prefer Audyssey over other calibration available through other manufacturers. I'm curious if you have any experience with YPAO 64bit and if so why do you prefer Audyssey over it or if you haven't then why over the 32bit version. Thx
I used YPAO a long time ago (6-7 years ago) when I owned a Yamaha receiver, so if 64bit is fairly new, I haven't used it. I was happy with YPAO, and don't mean to knock it. I think one of the things I like about Audyssey is their Dynamic EQ. I have hearing loss and turning it on brightens it up for me. I can hear details that I never noticed it with my Yamaha.

Probably not exactly an apples to apples comparison since my current Denon is a lot newer than the Yamaha I had years ago. I've just gotten onto Audyssey, preferred what it did for my room and now I know it best, so that's what I like to go with. I would never turn my nose up at a Yamaha receiver though.

Last edited:
AUDIOCRAZE

AUDIOCRAZE

Junior Audioholic
I used YPAO a long time ago (6-7 years ago) when I owned a Yamaha receiver, so if 64bit is fairly new, I haven't used it. I was happy with YPAO, and don't mean to knock it. I think one of the things I like about Audyssey is their Dynamic EQ. I have hearing loss and turning it on brightens it up for me. I can hear details that I never noticed it with my Yamaha.

Probably not exactly an apples to apples comparison since my current Denon is a lot newer than the Yamaha I had years ago. I've just gotten onto Audyssey, preferred what it did for my room and now I know it best, so that's what I like to go with. I would never turn my nose up at a Yamaha receiver though.
Ok cool, yea I was just curious because you always have great things to add to the topics you weigh in on. I remember using Audyssey years ago on a entry level Denon that I had and it did a fine job. I just know that these tools have slowly been getting better over time and didn't know if you had any experience on the other options available and was wondering if there was something in particular about Audyssey that you really favored but now I know. Thx!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis