SXRD Optical Block Solution

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
It's my understanding that Sony no longer fixes Optical Blocks in SXRD displays. It looks like mine could be going bad again as I see a lot of green in certain areas of the screen, especially on my Oppo DVD. I have had mine replaced under warranty before but have heard that it is like $1500 to have it done. I have a KDSR70XBR2. Are there any solutions that I have not considered? There still don't seem to be any great replacement displays? Sony was kind enough to offer me $ off one of their small 55" displays. Nice huh?
BMW
While there was a class action lawsuit against Sony for the SXRD that included everyone of the customers that bought the TV...it didn't stop you from yourself suing Sony. So if you do call Sony support up they usually will offer you 2 solutions and you will have to sign a form saying that based on these solutions that they provide for you that you will not sue them. They will either give you a 46" for free or 60EX500 for $200 more. We only got this offer once we started to push to talk to the legal team. Once you pick your option of TV then you they will fax you the paper work which you have to sign and you will have to take a photo of the TV not functioning with something in the photo that proves that this is your TV. Then you will fax the paper work back into them and the TV is delivered via freight curb side. I just went thought this with my father. The whole process from the day we called to the day it arrived was 9days. Hope this helps!

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Thanks man, I guess I can parlay this into something that I really want.
BMW

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Interestingly enough, I just looked online and Sony has discontinued their 60" kdlex500.
BMW

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Don't kid yourself. I have seen 100's of these and there is no perminant fix. There are different failure modes some of which are less horrible than others.
Well, it's been about 3 years since the OP Block was replaced. It's on everyday. I think there are a lot of other tv manufacters out there with many issues that we don't hear about. Still haven't found any tv, Plasma, Lcd or otherwise, that beats this picture. I think three years is a good enough test for a failure to happen.

J

Jungle Jack

Audiophyte
Hello,
I do think that the A3000 Series has suffered far fewer OB failures than the XBR1, XBR2, A2000, and A2020.

The A3000 was the last SXRD RPTV released by Sony as the announced and Displayed KDL-Z60/Z70XBR5 never saw the light of day. Both of these models had redesigned Optical Blocks and slimmer profiles. The XBR was so thin that it looked like a Panel.

I preordered the Z70, but of course the Model was cancelled. Sony then blew out the A3000's. Originally the 60A3000 was to retail for 3500 Dollars, 55A3000 for 3300 and 50A3000 for 3000 Dollars. When all was said and done, places like Sears were selling brand new 55A3000's for under 1300 Dollars.

Until Sony abruptly abandoned all RPTV's, the A3000 was going to be the middle model with the XBR being the Flagship and the A2020 being the Entry Level SXRD RPTV.

The A3000 was a fairly large upgrade over the A2020 with the XMB GUI, perfect Color Decoding out of the box when in Warm2, HDMI CEC, and an amazing number of Controls.

For a time, the A3000 held one of the highest scores of any TV that Cnet Reviewed and was their Editors Choice. It also placed 3rd in Home Theater Magazine's 2008 HDTV Shootout. (Kuro 5020 won)

I had my 55A3000 ISF Calibrated twice due to having the Optical Block replaced. However, it was not a green blob. Rather, both times my OB was replaced, I had a thin green line on the right side of the Screen that was only visible on white backgrounds.

When the same green line came back 10 Months after the last time, I begged Sony to replace the TV with an LCD to no avail. I was told that the A3000 was not eligible for replacement. So 12-30-2010, I had my OB replaced again.
I could not stomach getting it ISF'ed again, but did Email Sony Listens and amazingly was finally offered a replacement right after they repaired the OB.

I must say again that the KDL-55EX500 is a gem of a TV. I vastly prefer it over the Edge Lit LED LCD TV's I have seen. This is primarily due to the Flashlighting I have noticed on Edge Lit LED's. Without question full LED Backlit LCD's with Local Dimming are the best, but I believe that CCFL's are the 2nd best LCD Backlighting Solution. On another Forum, the A3000 is the only Model which all of the discussion is about replacement offers from Sony. Also, there are several Posters who have 15,000 Hours on their A3000 still on the original OB.

SXRD is still going strong in the Front Projector category and I am actually thinking about purchasing one. My heart goes out to those who have had multiple OB failures and not getting a replacement. I know how lucky I am to have a fully restored A3000 (replaced the Lamp when OB was replaced) and a free KDL-55EX500.
Cheers,
JJ

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Hello,
I do think that the A3000 Series has suffered far fewer OB failures than the XBR1, XBR2, A2000, and A2020.

The A3000 was the last SXRD RPTV released by Sony as the announced and Displayed KDL-Z60/Z70XBR5 never saw the light of day. Both of these models had redesigned Optical Blocks and slimmer profiles. The XBR was so thin that it looked like a Panel.

I preordered the Z70, but of course the Model was cancelled. Sony then blew out the A3000's. Originally the 60A3000 was to retail for 3500 Dollars, 55A3000 for 3300 and 50A3000 for 3000 Dollars. When all was said and done, places like Sears were selling brand new 55A3000's for under 1300 Dollars.

Until Sony abruptly abandoned all RPTV's, the A3000 was going to be the middle model with the XBR being the Flagship and the A2020 being the Entry Level SXRD RPTV.

The A3000 was a fairly large upgrade over the A2020 with the XMB GUI, perfect Color Decoding out of the box when in Warm2, HDMI CEC, and an amazing number of Controls.

For a time, the A3000 held one of the highest scores of any TV that Cnet Reviewed and was their Editors Choice. It also placed 3rd in Home Theater Magazine's 2008 HDTV Shootout. (Kuro 5020 won)

I had my 55A3000 ISF Calibrated twice due to having the Optical Block replaced. However, it was not a green blob. Rather, both times my OB was replaced, I had a thin green line on the right side of the Screen that was only visible on white backgrounds.

When the same green line came back 10 Months after the last time, I begged Sony to replace the TV with an LCD to no avail. I was told that the A3000 was not eligible for replacement. So 12-30-2010, I had my OB replaced again.
I could not stomach getting it ISF'ed again, but did Email Sony Listens and amazingly was finally offered a replacement right after they repaired the OB.

I must say again that the KDL-55EX500 is a gem of a TV. I vastly prefer it over the Edge Lit LED LCD TV's I have seen. This is primarily due to the Flashlighting I have noticed on Edge Lit LED's. Without question full LED Backlit LCD's with Local Dimming are the best, but I believe that CCFL's are the 2nd best LCD Backlighting Solution. On another Forum, the A3000 is the only Model which all of the discussion is about replacement offers from Sony. Also, there are several Posters who have 15,000 Hours on their A3000 still on the original OB.

SXRD is still going strong in the Front Projector category and I am actually thinking about purchasing one. My heart goes out to those who have had multiple OB failures and not getting a replacement. I know how lucky I am to have a fully restored A3000 (replaced the Lamp when OB was replaced) and a free KDL-55EX500.
Cheers,
JJ
Thank you for the info. That was a lot of good material covered there. LCD may be the next if something DRASTIC happens to the 50XBR1. Yes, I have noticed the SXRD is still in use on Sony Projectors.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis