SXRD Optical Block Solution

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
It's my understanding that Sony no longer fixes Optical Blocks in SXRD displays. It looks like mine could be going bad again as I see a lot of green in certain areas of the screen, especially on my Oppo DVD. I have had mine replaced under warranty before but have heard that it is like $1500 to have it done. I have a KDSR70XBR2. Are there any solutions that I have not considered? There still don't seem to be any great replacement displays? Sony was kind enough to offer me $ off one of their small 55" displays. Nice huh?
BMW

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It's my understanding that Sony no longer fixes Optical Blocks in SXRD displays. It looks like mine could be going bad again as I see a lot of green in certain areas of the screen, especially on my Oppo DVD. I have had mine replaced under warranty before but have heard that it is like $1500 to have it done. I have a KDSR70XBR2. Are there any solutions that I have not considered? There still don't seem to be any great replacement displays? Sony was kind enough to offer me $ off one of their small 55" displays. Nice huh?
BMW
How old is the screen?

Every manufacturer will have a product that does not work out from time to time. If redesign is not possible or practical, you have to cut your losses, can the product and stop fixing them. This seems to be the case here.

So then the issue is what is the company to do. Few companies take the John Deere approach. For the few bad products they have produced for the farmer over the years, they have bought everyone back. The farmer has then been free to purchase what ever he wants. That policy is exceptional.

The only other fair thing to do is to estimate reasonable depreciation and give the customer the balance after depreciation on the closest product.

Your only other option is a class action law suit, but the lawyers will get everyone's money.

I know that sucks, but you will have to suck it up.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Unfortunately, these SXRD RPTVs were riddled with the issue you now have. Just google either "SXRD green blob" or "SXRD yellow blob", and you'll have tons of hits.

If you are looking to replace it with a large, reference class display, try the 65" Panasonic VT25. It will cost pretty darn close to what your XBR2 went for, which is probably the nicest RPTV ever made, so far as I know.

Yes you'll give up about 16% in display size, but the VT25 will completely blow away the XBR2s PQ, fuggedaboutit.

The other rec I may have is any* currently made JVC projector coupled to an acoustically transparent screen.

Sorry to say, once again, that if you look at other projectors, please do not consider Sony.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys, I pretty much had already come to the conclusion not to dump any money into it. I had been waiting for a new large display to come out. I don't think a projector would be a good choice due to to many light sources in my den which we are about to build. It connects to 3 different rooms and has glass doors to the patio. Also, how is a projector for regular TV? Where is that affordable 70" to 80" Killer TV?
BMW

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys, I pretty much had already come to the conclusion not to dump any money into it. I had been waiting for a new large display to come out. I don't think a projector would be a good choice due to to many light sources in my den which we are about to build. It connects to 3 different rooms and has glass doors to the patio. Also, how is a projector for regular TV? Where is that affordable 70" to 80" Killer TV?
BMW
Not likely to happen. If it any good it will be very expensive. If you really need a screen that big, you should think about projection. If you have not built the room, then you can build remote control blinds for the windows etc. Creative design is more likely to get you what you want than chasing vapor ware.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
There already is a Class Action Lawsuit. Check AVS there is a 400+ page tab on this issue.

Pretty much it settled with little to no benefit for the consumer IIRC. :rolleyes:

I have a 55" SXRD that has not exhibited this problem so far (crosses fingers).

So I have followed it some.

I have not seen any other option that taking the crappy offers sony is giving through facebook. See above referenced AVS forum thread for details.

P

powerboost12

Enthusiast
Is this problem specific to the RPTV? How about the Bravia projectors? My dad has one...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
BMW
Affordable/Huge/Killer doesn't exist, think about it. You have to either give up PQ, pay more, or give up size. If willing to pay more, a lot more, you might look at Laservue. If willing to give up PQ, a lot of it, as well as a lot of reliability, look at DLP. If willing to give up size, look at Pana plasma.

Is this problem specific to the RPTV? How about the Bravia projectors? My dad has one...
I think our resident PJ guru finds Sony HT PJs to be a bad decision, and their commercial PJs as a downright horrible decision.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=785386&postcount=13

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=781140&postcount=7

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Don't forget - if you are willing to give up a LOT of money - you can get an 85" Panasonic plasma. ;)

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Ouch! I am pondering the thought of a projector? How dark does a room need to be, as my new theater room is my den which opens into the kitchen, the dining room and the living room. It will also have a french door patio exit. I know that at least in the past, that this has been a big limitation of a projector vs a display. Are they noisy? What does it cost to get a quality one? Thanks
BMW

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ouch! I am pondering the thought of a projector? How dark does a room need to be, as my new theater room is my den which opens into the kitchen, the dining room and the living room. It will also have a french door patio exit. I know that at least in the past, that this has been a big limitation of a projector vs a display. Are they noisy? What does it cost to get a quality one? Thanks
BMW
Dark is key for ideal cinematic experience, but this is true for any kind of display- it's just extremely important for projectors. I do not recommend it in this case, I think, but since you really never once mentioned a budget here, all I will say is that you can check out Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen, and possibly the Dalite High Power, but I don't think so on the second one. Google the SI BD, but I have to guess that it's too much. I'll leave the research up to you at this point.

edit: I did a quick google for you, check out some videos on the SI
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1680&bih=869&q=screen+innovations+black+diamond+video&btnG=Google+Search#q=screen+innovations+black+diamond+video&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ILb&sa=G&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&biw=1680&bih=869&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=XEJgTdTSBYKosQPt6vTICA&ved=0CEkQqwQ&bav=on.1,or.&fp=5554087cfc08a05

edit #2: don't listen to marketing speak, this is still* a compromise for lack of light control. For best performance, you simply need light control. Just FYI and you've been warned.

Noise is essentially a non issue. DLPs are generally the loudest, and the brightest. The brighter, the noisier. I think LCD or LCOS PJs are pretty much all below 20 db/m now, or something like that. If far enough of from you, or high enough from you, and that the vents aren't pointed directly at your ears, really not a concern IMO.

A quality one is roughly 2-2.5k IMO. However, I don't think you'll be happy with a PJ.

Again, you never mentioned a budget, and I'm nearly certain it will be beyond yours, but you might look into rear projection if you have the space behind the screen wall. That area would need to be blacked out completely, and you can use a mirror system to get the "throw length" to be adequate, but when done really right with the $$$$$$ to back it, you can have something like this:

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everybody. Jostenmeat, who makes rear projection as I would like to see the pricing on it and exactly how the technology would work. My new den will heave a Sloping ceiling probably about 8' at the midpoint where we would be sitting.The back wall where the current display and speakers and equip. are backs up to a bedroom. So I am interested to see what area is needed to pull off a rear projector. How do you rate rear projection? Thanks
BMW

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks everybody. Jostenmeat, who makes rear projection as I would like to see the pricing on it and exactly how the technology would work.
Then you should start calling around, but like I said, I think it will cost more than what you want, and be more work than what you want. Sounds like you want easy and cheap.

Otherwise, your question is like asking, "who makes home theater as I would like to see the pricing on it and exactly how the technology would work out". IOW, it's a really wide open question, perhaps not quite to that extent, but still a pretty big extent. Firstly, you need a PJ. Secondly you need the screen or glass. Construction costs. Are you willing to make the entire bedroom black, or would you be willing to reduce the size of the BR to fit an enclosed area with a mirror system for something like this?

My new den will heave a Sloping ceiling probably about 8' at the midpoint where we would be sitting.The back wall where the current display and speakers and equip. are backs up to a bedroom. So I am interested to see what area is needed to pull off a rear projector. How do you rate rear projection? Thanks
BMW
The back wall as you say is called the *front* wall. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I rate rear projection, with an unlimited budget, as tied for #1 with the Pana 4K resolution, 150" plasma for the wickedest and awesomest thing in the world as far as having a gigantic display with bad light control.

edit: I actually might put it #2 behind the Pana, but only because the RP should and will likely be smaller. But then you could rate it as #1 instead specifically because you could go smaller.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Apparently Stewart and Digital Projection have pulled off a daytime viewable rear projection setup where they took a poolhouse, blacked it out inside, and put in a 10,000 lumen 1080p projector with their StarGlas rear projection glass.

Probably a $30,000 projection/screen setup (or more), but viewing a 150" screen while chillin' in the pool with your remote on a rope is more than a bit nifty.

B

BMW

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't say that I want quick and cheap, as I already have a lot money invested in sound. I am trying to get an education to see just exactly what my options are and how they could be integrated into the room. The room being a Den that definitely would not be blacked out. Not ever having been exposed to Rear Projection, I am trying to get a handle on the area necessary behind screen and it's orientation and kind of what this stuff costs. It would also be nice to see a set up, but I am not sure where to find it.
BMW

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Cross front projection and rear projection off your list. You need a big TV.

RP will be too much money and hassle for you. The den not being able to be blocked out . . . well you didn't answer my question, but the possible partitioned space would need to be blacked out. This would require a mirror system, they are expensive, and don't ask me how much as I am not a dealer, and that's why I told you that you ought to call around if interested.

I vote for big plasma, laservue, dlp rptv, in that order.

J

Jungle Jack

Audiophyte
Hello,
There are Aftermarket Companies that offer Remanufactured OB's for around 300 Dollars. That being said, Sony is still replacing OB's on many Models and for the ones they decide not to, often offer free or massively discounted LCD TV's of a similar size.

I have a KDS-55A3000 that has had 2 OB Replacements with the last Repair done 12-30-2010. With mine, I had a green line form on the right side of the TV both times.

What was frustrating is I had both OB failures within 10 Months. When in December the OB started to fail, I called countless times imploring them just to replace the bloody thing to no avail. So I ended up getting it fixed again.

Fast forward to February and I write an Email to Sony Listens describing the experience and the fact I had spent over 10,000 Dollars on Sony gear over the years and that after what has happened with this TV I am done with Sony and that it was a matter of when and not if it failed again.

Amazingly, I received a call from Sony within 3 days offering a LCD free of charge. (KDL-55EX500) While I wanted to spend more and get a more expensive Model, they would only offer the EX500.

Regardless, a shocking and pleasing development in that my A3000 is repaired and I have a free 55 inch LCD. Sony Listens is definitely the place to Email your concerns as the Call Centers are useless. Especially the first Tier in Asia.
Cheers,
JJ

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
BMW
We had the same issue with our KDS R50XBR1. Best Buy replaced ours with a 'GLASS' lens Optical Block. It's been almost 3 years and the picture is still like brand new. Even better, because the Glass Lens replacement gives the display even clearer detail. I think heat from the lamp discolored the Plastic Lexan lens over a period of time. Our set is used everyday, about 5 hours, even more on weekends. I hope yours wasn't replaced with that old Lexan plastic lens Block. If it was I'd call Sony and tell them that your Optical Block was not upgraded to the new GLASS lens, and that using a Block with the original plastic is in violation of the warranty agreement! And, we were like you, we couldn't find a TV that matched the Sony LCoS sets. I'm just glad I didn't have to settle. I feel your pain. I hope this helps.

umr

umr

Enthusiast
Don't kid yourself. I have seen 100's of these and there is no perminant fix. There are different failure modes some of which are less horrible than others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis