SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Contest Review Thread

Which Contestant wrote the best product evaluation?

• Adam

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Eugovector

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • PBC

Votes: 34 50.7%

• Total voters
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Everyone did a great job on the reviews!
Thanks! It was a lot of fun (and, well, work :D) to make the review.

I love SVS and have many of their subs but I am not so sure about this one when it is only $100 less than a pc ultra and takes up more floor space.
Clearly, my review didn't convince you. :) I really think that the SB13 should get heavy consideration from anyone looking at the PC13. I thought that it was amazing how close they performed, given the much smaller volume of the SB13. The foot print of the SB13 is barely larger than that of the PC13 (especially if the grille isn't on), and it is much shorter. When it first arrived, I took pictures from above of the PC13 and SB13, but because the top of the cylinder was closer to the camera, the view deceptively showed the PC13 as having a larger footprint. So, I didn't include those in the review. If the walk around in my video doesn't show it well, just let me know and I'll try to get some more images up for everyone. Contest aside, I want to help anyone who has questions because I can't say enough just how impressed I am with this thing.

I will say, the PC13 is one impressive piece of hardware visually - I was giddy when I got it five years ago...but not everyone wants something that big in the living room. ;) Being single, I didn't have to worry about it. However, the reason why the SB13 wasn't as big of a first impression thrill during unboxing as the PC13 might just be the same reason why several guys (and maybe ladies) won't be sleeping on the couch next month when they get released. :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I bought both of my SB13+'s 1.25 years ago for $1199 (and then 5% off for repeat customer discount) before they went on clearance so the price increase is pretty substantial. I would love for someone to do a comparison of the SB13+ vs the ultra to see the differences. I love SVS and have many of their subs but I am not so sure about this one when it is only $100 less than a pc ultra and takes up more floor space.

Everyone did a great job on the reviews!
i have exactly the SB13 and PC13 in my bedroom (both chosen for the floorspace)

they each have their strength that i decided i could not live without.

PC13: couch shaking, ceiling lifting power
SB13: chest kick, music specialty

as to SB13Plus vs SB13Ultra, i wouldn't know ... yet

you could ask Ed M of SVS if it's worth upgrading from the SB13+ and you can save me the email :D i already bomb Ed with my many email questions.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
as to SB13Plus vs SB13Ultra, i wouldn't know ... yet
"Yet" is right! We all know that it's only a matter of time. :D

you could ask Ed M of SVS if it's worth upgrading from the SB13+
Agreed, and any other comparison questions. Ed has always been straightforward when I ask questions, and no one at SVS ever tried to steer me to something more expensive than I wanted.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
thanks guys for showing me where a comparison was made to the plus. i'd definitely be willing to upgrade (because of SVS's great trade-up program)if there's something to gain, but unsure if there really is. i think i'll just have to call and ask them about.

A

Archaea

Enthusiast
This contest was a great idea, and the reviews are all quite nice. Win all around!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Gene...whatever happened to the commentary part of the voting process? Seems to me with less than a week remaining in a closely knit race...it would've been nice to read what rational or methodolgy was used in casting a vote? My vote in this was cast for PBC because I felt it was the most detailed and data based review of the three. Since a significant portion of buying customers who go with ID most often use or require objective data found in said reviews to help guide them....I know, I did when I frist bought my first Svs sub and I would buy the SB13U based on PBC's review!!

Ps: I hope the contestant who wins...wins based solely on the merits of their review and not some other underlying factor...:(.

Btw...I really enjoys all 3 reviews....:)

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
"Yet" is right! We all know that it's only a matter of time. :D
the difference would have to be significant for me to upgrade.

my SB13+'s finish matches my floor. that's pretty hard to beat :D

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
the difference would have to be significant for me to upgrade.

my SB13+'s finish matches my floor. that's pretty hard to beat :D
I think the obvious answer is new floors.

Matt34

Matt34

Hey Gene...whatever happened to the commentary part of the voting process? Seems to me with less than a week remaining in a closely knit race...it would've been nice to read what rational or methodolgy was used in casting a vote?
Well, it's obviously something that can't be enforced, only encouraged.

mrjsw

mrjsw

Junior Audioholic
Hey Gene...whatever happened to the commentary part of the voting process?
I agree with this, and I also think that signing up should have been required to vote.

Full disclosure: I'm Adam's brother. I signed up years ago, did some graphs, interacted for a bit, then drifted back into the fog as job disruptions and such kept me away long enough to lose the habit of checking.

Also, shockingly, I voted for Adam, which I admit is nepotism to some extent, but I did so after reading and watching each of the reviews, and I was torn between Adam's and Eugovector's. It's not that I didn't like PBC's - I did, I liked them all - but just that I personally felt it contained a lot of material directly off of SVS's site, where I could have found it anyway, and somewhat less subjective material and opinions, which is what I look for in a review.

To me, I'm wasn't looking for numerical data I could find elsewhere. I was looking to be excited about a possible purchase, and I found more of that reason for excitement in the latter two reviews. Again, it's a personal opinion. Ultimately, as much as I loved the golf club shot, I voted for Adam, not just because he's my brother and still has those pictures of that time, but also because I felt justified in doing so because of the content of the review, the comparisons to his current subwoofer, and so on.

However, I can just as easily see preferring PBC's review because it contained exactly the material that swayed me away from it. It's a nice, concise summary and doesn't require multiple web sites to gather it.

I think it's easy to justify a vote for any of them. They're all worthwhile.

To get back to billy p's point, though: I think that requiring at the very least an active membership as opposed to random voting) and even going so far as to require a comment about the vote for such an expensive prize isn't too much to ask. Even if it was a new member whose first and only post read "I voted for ___" without even a reason, at least it would have enabled a bit more transparency. In fact, even if a comment was required but without the vote ("I liked them all and am voting now"), at least there'd be some minimal commitment to the process.

If there were 50,000 votes to process, that would be a bit difficult, although it's not too hard to code around. But here, we're looking at a few hundred total votes.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RE:Voting Issues

Hmm;

this is really difficult guys and I'm trying to be as hands off as possible on this.

This is why I wanted the reviews to be posted anonymously but that involved creating new accounts or having me or my staff post them and deal with all the pics, etc.

I'm open to suggestions to make this more fair for the next time however but please PM them to me rather than derailing the purpose of this thread.

thanks.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Thanks for posting the reasons you voted guys. I felt I provided equal amounts of subjective and objective viewpoints, but will look at ways of improving my reviews going forward if I get the chance to do more.

Keep the comments on why you voted coming!

Steve

JimmyTango

JimmyTango

Audioholic Intern
Voted PBC purely because of the links. Content was good in all three reviews, PBC went the extra mile on structure for his review.

whasaaaab

whasaaaab

Junior Audioholic
Underpaid? I think y'all would probably do it for free :D I would, getting to play with all those nice toys is a pretty sweet job, any way you slice it :D
Hope a fellow torontonian can come by during these reviews :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis