SVS SB13-Ultra Subwoofer Contest Review Thread

Which Contestant wrote the best product evaluation?

• Adam

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Eugovector

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • PBC

Votes: 34 50.7%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We had SVS send samples of their brand new SB13-Ultra subwoofer to 3 lucky forum members for their evaluation.

This is the thread where each of the 3 contestants:
  • Adam
  • Eugovector
  • PBC
will post their official evaluations and experiences with the product.

Note: The contestants were chosen based on the criteria outlined in this pre-qualifier threadhttp://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/80677-contest-first-audition-new-svs-sb13-ultra-series-sealed-box-subwoofer.html.

It's up to you to decide which evaluation you've found to be the most thorough and useful. The winner of this contest will be awarded a Brand New SB-13-Ultra subwoofer.

This contest starts September 5th and the voting period ends on September 19th.

IMPORTANT: Please refrain from voting and commenting in this thread until ALL 3 Contestants have posted their evaluations.

When you Vote, Please tell us why you chose your particular favorite.

For more product information, check out the official SVS SB13-Ultra Page

Update: Due to voter fraud in the polls, we are only counting votes written in this thread by members with a post count of at least 5. Voting deadline is also extended to Sept 25th, 2012. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Sorry for being late to the party; it's been a long week at the office.

I want to congratulate my fellow reviewers on two great reviews. I think it's fantastic what we all bring to the table in this community.

For the readers/watchers...I don't envy you. There's a ton of good info in these reviews to digest. Thanks for your attention.

Thanks Gene, Audioholics, and SVS for the opportunity.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow you guys all did a fabulous job! I foresee a bright future as underpaid Audioholics Reviewers for each and everyone of you :)

Seriously guys, great job! As far as I am concerned you're all winners!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Wow you guys all did a fabulous job! I foresee a bright future as underpaid Audioholics Reviewers for each and everyone of you :)

Underpaid? I think y'all would probably do it for free :D I would, getting to play with all those nice toys is a pretty sweet job, any way you slice it :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I want to congratulate my fellow reviewers on two great reviews. I think it's fantastic what we all bring to the table in this community.
Agreed! You and Steve did outstanding jobs. I really enjoyed both reviews.

Thanks, Gene! Like you said, I really do feel lucky to have had this opportunity. Win or lose the contest, I already won by being able to audition this great sub. As for the contest, one of the awesome things about this place is the people and how friendly we are - Steve and Marshall are both good guys and did awesome jobs, which makes it easy for me to be happy for whoever wins.

Underpaid? I think y'all would probably do it for free :D I would, getting to play with all those nice toys is a pretty sweet job, any way you slice it :D
You got that right. :) It came across as a joke, but I really do get all excited for FedEx/UPS and run to the window whenever I hear a truck engine driving by. :D That alone was almost enough payment for me. Okay, maybe not...but being able to use the sub sure was!

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
It certainly was a ton of fun. Had to kick the wife and kids out of the house for a couple days as well, so it was like a double bonus! (hopefully my wife does not read that last part).

Thanks again AH and SVSound.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I always love the opportunity to play with new equipment, I just wish I had more time. When I win the lottery, I'll never go back to work, and the fed-ex truck will stop by every day :)

Matt34

Matt34

I'm still waiting for the bribes to come in from the reviewers before I place my vote.;)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of these reviews! Short of the level of detail in the measurements, I'm not sure I've seen much better, and I know I've seen many, many worse pro reviews!

R

rushwj

Audioholic
Maybe I missed it, but can anybody (even svs itself) comment on what exactly the improvements are over the sb13-plus? I just purchased a plus a few months ago (new from svs - thinking it was one of their last ones now) and enjoy it, but interested in what the upgrades are making this an "ultra" from the plus. Particularly if it goes a little lower with a little more power. Thanks in advance.
-bill

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Rushwj, Read the second post in PBC's review
Cheers, Mac

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe I missed it, but can anybody (even svs itself) comment on what exactly the improvements are over the sb13-plus? I just purchased a plus a few months ago (new from svs - thinking it was one of their last ones now) and enjoy it, but interested in what the upgrades are making this an "ultra" from the plus. Particularly if it goes a little lower with a little more power. Thanks in advance.
-bill
SVS’s “Ultra” lineup of subwoofers represents their top of the line models. Their SB13-Ultra (SB standing for “Sealed Box”) is the subject of this review. Some have questioned why the SB13-Plus was discontinued and it appears that SVS simply changed the box aesthetic and renamed it an “Ultra”. I asked Ed Mullen, Director – Technology and Customer Relations for SVSound, and he responded ”While the SB13-Ultra hardware is indeed similar to the SB13-Plus, we have made a several key revisions which are noteworthy and improve the overall performance, functionality, and value of the SB13-Ultra, making it a worthy successor and a better product in every way than the SB13-Plus:
  • The driver soft parts have been revised to improve the T/S parameters. We are not releasing specifics on this though - the changes are proprietary.
    [*] The DSP flash file (EQ and limiter/compressor algorithms) was revised for even more linearity, accuracy and better behavior at the limits.
    [*] The cabinet volume is slightly higher due to the removal of the side panels, and this contributes to improved deep bass efficiency and deeper extension (quasi-anechoic F6 is now a legitimate 20 Hz).
    [*] The grille retention system was improved to a pin/cup arrangement. This works better than the previous version, which was prone to slipping at high playback levels.
    [*] The finish is now a premium 6-sided piano gloss or black oak veneer to match the PB13-Ultra.”

Given that they also have not really increased the price of the SB13-Ultra, this sounds good to me.
10 letters

H

Haberskir

Enthusiast
I would love to thank all three of you guys. You all did a great job. I will have to re read all of them before I vote. They all have their high points.

Thanks for the good reading

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
10 letters
I bought both of my SB13+'s 1.25 years ago for $1199 (and then 5% off for repeat customer discount) before they went on clearance so the price increase is pretty substantial. I would love for someone to do a comparison of the SB13+ vs the ultra to see the differences. I love SVS and have many of their subs but I am not so sure about this one when it is only $100 less than a pc ultra and takes up more floor space.

Everyone did a great job on the reviews!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I bought both of my SB13+'s 1.25 years ago for $1199 (and then 5% off for repeat customer discount) before they went on clearance so the price increase is pretty substantial. I would love for someone to do a comparison of the SB13+ vs the ultra to see the differences. I love SVS and have many of their subs but I am not so sure about this one when it is only $100 less than a pc ultra and takes up more floor space.

Everyone did a great job on the reviews!
Good observation about the PC13-Ultra, though the price difference is $200 more during the promo period. I think that the high quality finish and overall smaller volume does come at a price for those who prefer it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis