SVS SB13-Ultra Owners Impressions

T

tistru

Enthusiast
It's been a few weeks since this sub has been availalbe so I know there are some owners out there by now (i know of least one for sure....congrats PBC!). I thought it'd be useful to have a central place to talk about impressions, issues, comaprisons etc with this sub.

So owners, please chime in and tell us what you think.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I decided to buy mine after reviewing it, and my impressions haven't changed since my review. It is a fantastic sub.

H

Hyrlyfrm

Enthusiast
I would rather be posting my initial impression of the sb13u, but that may not happen anytime soon. I've read only great things about SVS's service. Sadly, ordering from them has not been a pleasant experience so far, save for my livechat conversation with Ed Mullen.

This sub better be amazing...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I would rather be posting my initial impression of the sb13u, but that may not happen anytime soon. I've read only great things about SVS's service. Sadly, ordering from them has not been a pleasant experience so far, save for my livechat conversation with Ed Mullen.

This sub better be amazing...
Out of curiosity, in what way?

I've ordered several subwoofers from them, and they've all shipped within a business day without any fuss.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Ouch, that stinks.

Interesting that since it hasn't shipped yet (or at least that's the impression I'm getting), they can't stop it, or conversely talk to FedEx to better schedule delivery...

Matt34

Matt34

Call Fed-Ex and have them hold it and pick it up when it's convenient for you.

H

Hyrlyfrm

Enthusiast
Ed emailed me again today so hopefully things will work out. I won't get into specifics unless things don't work out from here.

G

Gord Gee

Enthusiast
Got mine up here in Canada on the 16th! :D

Just ran MCACC on it so far and haven't had much of a chance to tweak it (waiting for an external soundcard to run REW so I can adjust the PEQ).

So far, I'm really impressed with its musicality! Had a fellow audiophile over on the W/E to listen- he has a set of high-end Tetra 505 speakers and is thinking of adding a SB13-Ultra to his set-up. The ultra low end bass and out-put really blew him away.

Haven't had much other chance yet to play some of the reference material from my Blu-rays yet. Bought Prometheus to view for my first full movie experience with this baby!

Only issue so far are 4 shiny marks on the grill which I think is from rubbing on the foam packing. Noticeable on the flat black finish.

T

tistru

Enthusiast
Got mine up here in Canada on the 16th! :D

Just ran MCACC on it so far and haven't had much of a chance to tweak it (waiting for an external soundcard to run REW so I can adjust the PEQ).

So far, I'm really impressed with its musicality! Had a fellow audiophile over on the W/E to listen- he has a set of high-end Tetra 505 speakers and is thinking of adding a SB13-Ultra to his set-up. The ultra low end bass and out-put really blew him away.

Haven't had much other chance yet to play some of the reference material from my Blu-rays yet. Bought Prometheus to view for my first full movie experience with this baby!

Only issue so far are 4 shiny marks on the grill which I think is from rubbing on the foam packing. Noticeable on the flat black finish.
Congrats Gord Gee! Let us know what you think of Prometheus :)

T

tistru

Enthusiast
Just found a new review of the SB13-ultra from a Dutch website. You can translate the page using Bing/Google etc but it's still pretty hard to decipher. Not the most in-depth review but the author basically compared it to the other 2 ultra subs in SVS's lineup: PC13U and PB13U. In summary, he said the SB13U is the most precise and accurate of the 3 with plenty of power, but lacks the "earthquake" potential of the larger siblings.

Check it out: TEST: SVS SB13-Ultra - Der 1000 Watt "SLEDGE"-Hammer in kompakter Form

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Just found a new review of the SB13-ultra from a Dutch website. You can translate the page using Bing/Google etc but it's still pretty hard to decipher. Not the most in-depth review but the author basically compared it to the other 2 ultra subs in SVS's lineup: PC13U and PB13U. In summary, he said the SB13U is the most precise and accurate of the 3 with plenty of power, but lacks the "earthquake" potential of the larger siblings.

Check it out: TEST: SVS SB13-Ultra - Der 1000 Watt "SLEDGE"-Hammer in kompakter Form
The SB13 ultra has a push on grill? My SB13+'s have magnetic grills. I didn't know they changed that. The magnets moved on the grill as they were not glued very well. A little bit of superglue solved that issue.

H

Hyrlyfrm

Enthusiast
I have to chime in finally on my new toy. It is amazing. Hopefully I can edit my initial post as Ed was extremely helpful in straightening things out with my order.

I've experienced something I didn't really think was possible with a subwoofer at more than reasonable volume in my apartment. The band is called Amygdala. Their EP, the Sprawl, is available for free in FLAC at ektoplasm.com. The second track on the EP has something going on down low that I will have to measure on Tuesday if I still have power.

I think it was less than a minute listening to the track before my eyes started to feel funny, like there was pressure building inside them. Then my ears started to feel weird and I started to feel a little nauseous. I'd be interested to see if anyone else experiences anything strange listening to that track.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Glad things worked out for you and that you're happy with your new sub!

Link doesn't look good though. Says the domain is for sale and some such. I've had a few "interesting" experiences courtesy of my PB13U though.

drmiller

Audiophyte
Love My SVS SB13 Ultra!

Well, I have had my new svs sub for several weeks now. All I can say is that I am more than pleased with the purchase. The sub is solid down to 13, balanced and not localized in the system. I would be glad to recommend it to anyone seriously looking for a serious sub from a company with great customer service. I have listened to more music these last 3 weeks than I have for many months!:)

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Well, I have had my new svs sub for several weeks now. All I can say is that I am more than pleased with the purchase. The sub is solid down to 13, balanced and not localized in the system. I would be glad to recommend it to anyone seriously looking for a serious sub from a company with great customer service. I have listened to more music these last 3 weeks than I have for many months!:)
Great to hear! How big is your room? Must have some decent room gain (similar to mine) to be solid down to 13hz!

S

superspeed

Enthusiast
Hi raynist...Do you really have 13 subs?
Or, is this a list of subs you have owned in the past?
Also, I acquired the SVS PB-12 Plus this summer....OMG!..I really love (not like) this beast!
Also, I need to ask why you refer to the SVS PB12/2?....I have seen the "/2" reffered by other people, but really don't know what that means?...ie: Older model?
Sorry for so many questions, but respect the different subs you have/had.
Thank-you!

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
Also, I need to ask why you refer to the SVS PB12/2?....I have seen the "/2" reffered by other people, but really don't know what that means?...ie: Older model?
SVS used to offer a two driver version of their sub lines that also had more powerful amps. The basic model numbers were frequently the same, but with the "/2" added to the end.

Here is a picture of the old PB12 Plus/2

Even further back, they had the "B4" line with, you guessed it, 4 drivers per box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis