SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000 for music in 700sqft apartment?

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Hey all,

I've got a pair of Arx A3rx-c's on the way and I'm very excited. However, I listen to a lot of electronic music with the bass frequently reaching between 20-50Hz. I don't need it to be LOUD -- I don't want to upset my neighbors. My apartment is 700sqft with wood floors, and I'm not on the bottom floor. I don't want a downward-firing sub to avoid upsetting the people below me, and I've already talked to my next door neighbor once. Sound reverberates pretty well in my apartment as well, due to the wood floors.

I'm thinking of getting the SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000. I'd go with the SB-2000 due to being able to produce slightly lower frequencies than the SB-1000. Music is about 80% of my listening with my setup, which is currently 2.0 (I use a center when watching movies). I want to be able to hear those low frequencies, but I don't want to shake the place down so I doubt I'll ever be going past 25% volume with the sub. I do watch movies though, just not nearly as frequently as I listen to music.

Should I spend the extra $200 and get the new SB-2000, or save it and get the SB-1000? Like I said I don't need the extra wattage as I have to keep the volume reasonable anyway, I mainly just want lower frequencies.

I would get an Auralex pad for the sub to keep it off the floor, and I'm almost considering getting some sound foam for the wall behind the sub, just to be cautious. The walls aren't thin, but subwoofers have no problem waking up the entire neighborhood if you're not careful. Would it be worth it to get some foam for the wall behind the sub as well, or just stick with the Auralex pad and keep the volume down?

I wouldn't buy the sub until I hear the Arx first, but I still want to know which one I should buy, as I'm sure I will want a little more extension. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

---

50 views and no replies? I got the impression that SVS is a pretty popular brand for subwoofers, figured someone might have something to say about them. Would anyone suggest a DIFFERENT subwoofer for less than $700? Primarily for music, needs to have good detail and ideally go at least as low as 20-24Hz. Gotta keep it low volume anyway so it doesn't need to be super powerful. Thanks.

Last edited:
B

Basshead81

Audioholic
I would go with the SB-2000 if budget is no concern. It will have more headroom, better sound quality, and deeper extension. Not to discredit the 1000 as it is a highly regarded sub for its price, but the 2000 driver is much better...so if you can afford it go for it!!

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
I mean people always say the latest product is usually the best one, and usually that's correct... and I'd definitely be keeping the sub for a looong time. If I decided to get a second sub a year or two down the line, is there any disadvantage to having one ported and one sealed sub? Other than them not being the same... but let's say I got the PB-2000 in like 2 years. They should be relatively matched, just with different strengths right?

S

SubAHolic

Audioholic Intern
I mean people always say the latest product is usually the best one, and usually that's correct... and I'd definitely be keeping the sub for a looong time. If I decided to get a second sub a year or two down the line, is there any disadvantage to having one ported and one sealed sub? Other than them not being the same... but let's say I got the PB-2000 in like 2 years. They should be relatively matched, just with different strengths right?
They will be relatively matched.. Yes. I would recommend going for SB-2000 too if you can afford plus it gives you more available power in case you do move out to a different place etc. plz also call SVS as they can provide you un-biased advice as well. They are known to do the right thing versus pushing you to buy the more expensive product unless you truly need it. They will let you know if SB-1000 will be enough for your room size and music preferences etc.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
I will give them a call tomorrow, thanks. Would you guys recommend any OTHER subs in the $500-$700 price range that might meet my needs?

M

Muzykant

Audioholic
yokken, how large is your listening room? From my experience, if your room is on the large side the sealed sub will roll off too much and the lowest frequencies will be a lot quieter than mid/upper bass. I own SB-13 Ultra, and like you, I just listen loud enough to hear the bass but not feel it (next door neighbors are retired and deserve peace) , and it rolls off steeply below 30 Hz in my 3100 cubic feet room. Maybe a ported design could give you better results?

Last edited:
yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
The listening area is my living room, which is probably close to 500sqft as it is attached to my kitchen as on big room. So probably closer to 5000 cubic feet. I've always loved the resonance of ported subs but have recently heard the benefits and cleaner sound from a sealed one. I just don't want to be shaking my neighbors' apartments with a ported sub, you know?

B

Basshead81

Audioholic
If your listening area is 5000^3 then I would go with a ported subwoofer. The PB-12NSD, Rythmik LV12R, or Outlaw LFM-1 EX would be 3 options on my short list based on your budget. If you could up the budget to 800.00 then a PSA XV-15, HSU VTF-3 MK4, or SVS PB-2000 would be even better at handling your large area. I would not mix ported and sealed unless you are familiar with using REW and EQ'ing. Also One should base going ported or sealed off of room size...both designs can be equally musical. Sealed works best in multiples or very small rooms where good room gain is present. Ported works best for most applications since the average room has openings and the average user is not looking to fill thier room with subs.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
I do sit pretty close to my speakers though, about 7 feet away. The sub would be about the same distance away -- it doesn't really need to fill the whole room anyway. Should I still consider going ported??

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Better to have too much and be able to turn it down than to have too little and no way to turn it up

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
It's just... my buddy has a big sub and he NEVER pushes it past 15% power because it gets WAY too loud for an apartment. I'm sure I'll end up doing the same, but I don't want something boomy and have to keep it lower than I could with a sealed sub because it doesn't echo as much... am I wrong here? I have never owned a powered sub (got a passive one with a HTIB kit, lol) so I really have no experience with them. I just know I have the potential to really piss off my neighbors with the sub so I want to err on the side of caution. What do you guys think?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Try the SVS PB2000 you have 45 days to try it out. I have a SVS PB1000 and I can't even turn it up either, but I still enjoy it. Yeah studio Apt.

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Just realized I did the math for my apartment space all wrong... It is a 700sqft space, but there are walls dividing the bedroom and bathroom. It's a bit odd shaped, certainly not ideal for high-end audio, but it still sounds pretty great. I just did some really rough estimates and eyeballing, but if I had to guess, I'd say the space for my living room (same room as kitchen, which is to the right of my listening/sitting area) is probably more like 2000-2500 cubic feet, not 5000. And I still sit close to the speakers, about 6-7 feet away. So yeah, I definitely don't need a ridiculous sub to fill that space. But... I am still considering the PB-2000. It would be so awesome...

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Decided on the PB-1000. I wanted to spend a little leftover to upgrade my computer speakers as well. I think I'll be happy enough :)

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Sorry for the triple-post! I got my PB-1000 today and it is gorgeous!! The only problem is that the woofer has the SVS logo printed upside down... I contacted support and told them I really don't want to ship it back. They said they could ship me a new one, or I could take the driver out and rotate it myself. I might end up doing that if they send me instructions -- whether I'll have to switch around any cables inside, or that sort of thing.

It took me about an hour to get the thing in the proper spot, as it was putting some serious bass in areas of my apartment where no one would ever be sitting, and not enough in the power seat. I want to make sure I get the most bass in the power seat so I can turn down the sub and still hear it, without disturbing my neighbors. I think I found the sweet spot -- the sweetest it's going to get in this apartment. Check it! http://i.imgur.com/FTUpVCv.jpg

Sounds amazing with the Arx as smalls crossing over at 100Hz. A 24/96 vinyl encode of Random Access Memories is incredible. Even though it's ported, it's still fairly controlled. I'm sure it will tighten up a little over time. All in all, fairly pleased. Once I rotate the woofer I'll be a very happy guy.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Love the photo(Waiting for more). The matching looks great(Is that a eurolex under the sub or just carpet?). I've had mine since Oct last year and still am amazed how great the PB1000 is. I'm glad you are enjoying your nice clean setup. Enjoy yourself!

yokken

yokken

Junior Audioholic
Thanks!! That is an Auralex SubDude II underneath it. It's not quite big enough, short by about 3 inches deep, but it fits just fine. I took the feet off the sub so it lays flat. I'll try and get a hold of a better camera and take some better pictures of the setup. I really want to wallmount my TV and get the A2rx-c for a center channel, but I already spent pretty much my entire tax return... I need to take it easy for a while. The baby Onkyo center will have to suffice for now.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
:DI had to take off the legs off the back on mine too for it to fit on my Auralex Subdude as well. I can imagine they need 2 aurulex for the PB 2000(saw a pic on AVS with both models together):eek: Looking forward to the pics.

NebTheWeb

NebTheWeb

Enthusiast
The only problem is that the woofer has the SVS logo printed upside down
I have two PB1000s and neither one of mine came with the SVS logo on the dust cap. :D

K

Krush9

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the SB1000 for my small listening room/movie room in my basement. that room is 13x12 wiith ceiling 9 foot in the center with a tray around the perimeter of the room that is about 8 feet. That being said, I have yet to set the PB1000 in that room, as I am still fininshing it. (can't wait)... In the meantime, I have set it up in my 20x16 family room that is open to the kitchen, and the SVS PB1000 is an excellent sub even for that space. output is not an issue, for movies or music. Accurate clean bass... In a 700 sqft appartment I couldn't imagin you needing more sub. The PB1000 is subtle, at low volumes,and I imediately hear the difference at low volumes with the deep passages. I expect that the PB1000 will pressurize the 13x12 space!

Now, if you can afford more... go for it, you can always turn it down, or calibrate to fit your space..... I just wanted to re-assure you that you would have plenty of sub in your appt, and even in a Larger room. I will always be curious about more, and will likely upgrade as part of this hobby, NOT because the PB1000 isn't enough.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis