croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I Did the SVS physically eat it? You better call the police.

LOL!!!:D The Ultra looks as if it could have the 650 for lunch that's for sure. The 650 did me okay for something like 5 years or so. I'll admit I have been quite surprised at the performance increase with the Ultra. Not to mention the looks. I really like the rosenut veneer. The appearance was 40 percent of my decision to buy. I struggled over getting this thing or the Conquest. I'm glad I chose the Ultra. The Conquest is a beast of a sub, but I sure like the elegance and features of the Ultra.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
No, been lazy and I have no idea what it's worth. I'm waiting for the $1 response as I type this :D

Mark
I can do bettter than that...$3.45 shipped :p.
Seriously, I'd think you could leverage the price of a U13 locally, at least. Good luck.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I sure would like to get a side by side shot of the Ultra woofer next to the 650 woofer. I'm affraid to remove the Ultra's woof though just cause it's rather on the heavy side. Don't want to break anything.:eek:

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
That would certainly be interesting but I think we all can picture the difference :)

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the review! I've been away and had forgotten how nice your system looks. It looks even better with the Ultra. I went with the PC-Ultra last year, and (like you) I still get a silly grin when I turn the system up for a movie. The Ultras are just great subs. If I had the room and the lower back strength, I would have gone with the box like you because they do look so nice.

Very happy for you, and thanks again for the review.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Hey Adam,

I sold my Hsu Research VTF-3 HO Turbo and have a SHIPPING CONFORMATION for my new Piano Black PB13-Ultra!!! Should be here Wed. at the latest. Yup, I finally took the plunge!!!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Adam,

I sold my Hsu Research VTF-3 HO Turbo and have a SHIPPING CONFORMATION for my new Piano Black PB13-Ultra!!! Should be here Wed. at the latest. Yup, I finally took the plunge!!!
Congrats Gimpy Ric! I was ecstatic when I finally got my shipping notice. It only took two days to get to my area though. It shipped on Thursday, and I had it on Saturday.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the review! I've been away and had forgotten how nice your system looks. It looks even better with the Ultra. I went with the PC-Ultra last year, and (like you) I still get a silly grin when I turn the system up for a movie. The Ultras are just great subs. If I had the room and the lower back strength, I would have gone with the box like you because they do look so nice.

Very happy for you, and thanks again for the review.
Thanks Adam. It's gonna be a while before the silly grin goes away.:D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Warpdrv! I dig being able to see the woofer work on this thing. It's the most excursion I've ever seen (I'm sure the F112 can move too).
I was really thinking I wouldn't care for the front firing, but its super cool to watch the extreme excursion of the W7 driver moving... and I seriously dig the look of the Ultra13 driver, that thing looks even sexier then the JL.

Dual Pluses hit like a shockwave for HT. It was very addictive, you could palpably feel the pressure. The Ultra hits more like a boxer, sharper impacts, less bloom at the bottom and has a different sound quality for HT performance. I've had folks over that remember the dual setup. They are all very impressed by the U13 for music, equally impressed for HT, but not blown away in comparison (for HT). As I said, dual Pluses, Plus/2s and Ultra/2s HT performance is different, but not necessarily inferior.

Good explanation there Ron...
The mild distortion that comes with the earlier SVS subs really sends that shockwave that shakes the hell out of stuff, in a different manor then the really controlled tight sound that the JL driver puts out, I'm sure its not all that different from the Ultra13.
I have to say I am still really partial to my Dual Plus/2's, they really provide an amazing experience for HT, people are seriously stunned by their energy waves.

When I finally get to my build of the 15" TC2000's, I should probably be in the same territory as Dual Ultra13's in SQ, but presumably more output with the amps I have. Mating those up with the new SVS Audessey EQ, things should come together quite nicely...

Really interested in the outcome of the SVS EQ, if it measures up to what they are saying, and they have yet to be wrong judging at how the Ultra turned out, its got the potential to solve alot of problems for me, for my big room.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I was really thinking I wouldn't care for the front firing, but its super cool to watch the extreme excursion of the W7 driver moving... and I seriously dig the look of the Ultra13 driver, that thing looks even sexier then the JL.
The Ultra has been my first experience with excursion. When I first saw the Ultra woofer move in an extreme fashion I was amazed, that's for sure. Even more so when I realized it could effortlessly handle far more extremes than my 650 could.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Very nice write up crosiev. The Ultra looks absolutely amazing. I bet it sounds even better than it looks. Congrats to you. BTW, what do you have your flat panel tv standing on? I need to find something similar for my 42" LG. Is it something you made or purchased? I need to raise my LG up about 4-6" that is why I am asking.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice write up crosiev. The Ultra looks absolutely amazing. I bet it sounds even better than it looks. Congrats to you. BTW, what do you have your flat panel tv standing on? I need to find something similar for my 42" LG. Is it something you made or purchased? I need to raise my LG up about 4-6" that is why I am asking.
Hi Speakerman39,
Thanks very much! Yes, the stand used for the display was built for another purpose, but I had stored it in my shed, and when I got my display I stumbled across them and found they would be perfect for getting the TV above the center speaker. It is simple to build consisting of 2" X 4"s nailed together with a 1/4" sheet of plywood nailed on top. I stained it to blend with the credenza. I thought it came out pretty well. It probably cost a total of $10.00 to build.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Speakerman39,
Thanks very much! Yes, the stand used for the display was built for another purpose, but I had stored it in my shed, and when I got my display I stumbled across them and found they would be perfect for getting the TV above the center speaker. It is simple to build consisting of 2" X 4"s nailed together with a 1/4" sheet of plywood nailed on top. I stained it to blend with the credenza. I thought it came out pretty well. It probably cost a total of $10.00 to build.
Yes, it did turn out well. Thanks a bunch as it gives me an idea of how to build my own. Keep in mind, that I burn water..........LOL!!!!!! :p:p Just not much of a wood worker but it seems simple enough. Appreciate the info.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, it did turn out well. Thanks a bunch as it gives me an idea of how to build my own. Keep in mind, that I burn water..........LOL!!!!!! :p:p Just not much of a wood worker but it seems simple enough. Appreciate the info.
Sure thing! :)

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic
Croseiv, I just found some of your videos on youtube, and I am just blown away with the response of that subwoofer, but how well does your subwoofer do at around 120hz? I know that subwoofer will have no problem when it comes to the super low frequencies but my RTi12's have a drop in volume at around 120hz.

Also what that song is called in the video which is 3:12 long and where did you find that song?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Croseiv, I just found some of your videos on youtube, and I am just blown away with the response of that subwoofer, but how well does your subwoofer do at around 120hz? I know that subwoofer will have no problem when it comes to the super low frequencies but my RTi12's have a drop in volume at around 120hz.

Also what that song is called in the video which is 3:12 long and where did you find that song?
120 hZ is as high as the crossover goes. I have mine at 80 (I like how that sounds)

Thanks for the compliment! The song is Bassotronics-Cruzin' through the nights. It really pounds!:) I found it on line.

Last edited:
croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Watched Ratatouille (SD DVD). At normal listening volume (-15 on the MV). I measured 108 db at my listening postition during the lightning strike scene. Dang! Very cool scene there, and the Ultra handled it well. Gunshots were around 102-103 dB (when the old lady shoots at the rats). All subwoofer work there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis