croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I took delivery of what has become known by me a "the mesmerizer" on 1/26/2008, so this subwoofer has been in my posession for about 3.5 months. This subwoofer was an upgrade from a PSW650 made by Polk Audio which I owned for about 5 years before getting the Ultra. I was heavily "imprinted" on the 650. It was my first sub woofer. It was pretty good with music and some movies, but couldn't handle really demanding LFE. The PSW650 has dual 10 woofers and is rated at 165 watts (250 watts max). It weighs 60 lbs. In contrast, the PB13-Ultra has a single 13.5", specially designed driver that weighs as much as my whole PSW650. The Ultra's BASH amp is conservatively rated at 750 watts RMS, and it weighs 155 lbs. I chose the rosenut finish.

The PB13-Ultra subwoofer arrived in a close by city, so I drove and picked it up from BAX Global. When I arrived at BAX Global and first saw the boxed up sub in person, I was stunned. It was the largest sub I'd ever seen. It's hard to get a feel for how large something is on the inernet sometimes. The truck driver at BAX loaded the subwoofer into the rear of my van for me with the aid of a fork lift, and it fit in the back of the van with some room to spare, much to my relief.

Once I got the subwoofer home, I actually managed to get it out of the van, into the house, and unpacked without any help from any one. I was very impressed at how well the sub was packed in the box(es). There was more than adequate protection of the goods for this shipment. The double boxed sub was very well packed in multiple layers of an insulating, shock absorbing packing material (foam) that was white in color. The sub was also inside of a very soft fabric bag. It seemed very well protected. Inside the box were the instruction manual, Avia II calibaration disk, analogue SPL meter, three port plugs, and, to my surprise a large SVS t-shirt.

To get the sub out of the box, I turned the box on its side laying on a towel, and I pulled the sub out of the box and onto the towel, so I could drag it to it new location in the living room. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

I moved the sub to where the 650 used to be, it really made the 650 seem small and inadequate. I connected the sub cable to the sub, and I plugged the subwoofer's power cord into the electrical outlet. I just stood there and stared at the sub wondering how it was going to sound and admiring its beauty. I just looked at that 13" woofer and I thumped it with my finger, but was very surprised to hear what seemed to be a ceramic/glass-like sound, as if the cone was made out of fiberglass. Very exotic indeed.

Before I powered the sub on, I turned the gain to the 11 o' clock postion. I flicked the power switch on the rear and noticed the nearby lamp dim, and the little green light came on. I figured the sub must have a decent current pull when powering on.

I fired up my AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-1015 TX) rated at 120 wpc driving Polk Audio RT7 mains, CSi30 center and RCA surrounds (don't laugh-they sound quite good actually) and plasma set at the touch of a button using my H1000 remote. I calibrated the sub using the Avia II DVD to 70 dB (MV setting of -15). I set the sub level in the receiver to -5 dB and turned the gain on the sub to 12 o'clock (I did not mess with any of the PEQ/Room comp settings yet). This put the sub at 75 dB (a little hot, and how I like it).

The very first song the sub played was by Bass Connection-Feel the Bass. Yes I'm a bass head. The sub was in 20 Hz mode. I turned the master volume on the receiver to -15. The begiining of this song has a very low frequency sweep from about 16 Hz up to 60 Hz. Wow did the room (house) shake! I immediately noticed palpable, deep bass that I had never felt from that song before with the PSW650. I spent some time listening to numerous familar songs (classical, jazz, rock acoustic, techno, electronica, metal) and was very impressed with the sub's musical ability. In my theater, this sub is used for about 60/40 music/moves. This sub is very tight, articulate and very authoritative. Let's just say it crushed the 650 musically.

The first movie was Star Wars II-Attack of the Clones. I chose this movie because of the opening scene where Senator Amidala's ship comes in and does several fly bys generating some powerful LFE. The PSW650 always flapped at normal listening volumes during this scene. It simply could not handle the track. The Ultra handles it effortlessly with no flapping or bottoming at all. As the ship landed there was a rumble like I remembered at the movie theater, but could never get at home. The ship blowing up was an incredible experience with the Ultra. It handled the scence with authority (yes it is an SVS). The PSW650 would bloat and bottom at the same level on this scene. War of the Worlds is fantastic with this sub as is Lord of the Rings. I find my self planning movies strictly for LFE challenge content now.

I have since gotten the sub dialed in and the PEQ/room comp adjusted to my liking, and I must say this is truly one fine subwoofer. I've experimented with placement as well and found the front left corner to work the best in my theater. Initially, I had to my right near the fireplace.

SVSound got this one right.:cool: I still have a silly grin on my face.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the review. It really puts it in perspective seeing the box in the back of the van. Hard to imagine you brought that in the house yourself!!!

Nice room, btw.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice Sub

Wow! Nice sub. I have been contemplating getting an Ultra for a while now. And your review is really tempting me now. I've been holding off so I could get a nice sub. It does look very big. That's the main reason I've held off. I want to make sure I have room. It sure does look "perty" in your room. :)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the review. It really puts it in perspective seeing the box in the back of the van. Hard to imagine you brought that in the house yourself!!!

Nice room, btw.
You're welcome! Yeah, the initial surpirse was something else for me. The truck driver for BAX said it was the biggest sub he'd ever seen too. I know there are larger subs by eD and Epik, but this one is plenty big for me.

What a beautiful looking sub you have.

Cheers.
Thanks you very much! I am quite pleased at how well it mathces my credenza and speaker stands.

Wow! Nice sub. I have been contemplating getting an Ultra for a while now. And your review is really tempting me now. I've been holding off so I could get a nice sub. It does look very big. That's the main reason I've held off. I want to make sure I have room. It sure does look "perty" in your room. :)
The Ultra is one heck of a sub. Let's put it this way, some songs sound like a very deeply growling animal with the low frequency bass (I'm thinking of some bass heavy stuff by Bass Cube). It really moves the air. At high volumes you can feel the wind blowing from the ports.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Nice review.... And congrats on the somewhat new addition to your HT.
The fact that they have front firing ports always bothered me a bit, but I must say backing that thing into a corner sure makes it easier for placement.

If it weren't for my bedroom being so small I would have gotten an Ultra, but I'm very happy with my F112.... Its great for music and movies, but being a sealed sub it does tend to roll off earlier then I'm used to, but the SQ is simply phenomenal, and still really goes low into the high teens which is good enough for me. I really loved my PB12-Plus for LF content in movies in that small room.

Its really a sweet looking sub... Happy for ya bro... :)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Nice review.... And congrats on the somewhat new addition to your HT.
The fact that they have front firing ports always bothered me a bit, but I must say backing that thing into a corner sure makes it easier for placement.

If it weren't for my bedroom being so small I would have gotten an Ultra, but I'm very happy with my F112.... Its great for music and movies, but being a sealed sub it does tend to roll off earlier then I'm used to, but the SQ is simply phenomenal, and still really goes low into the high teens which is good enough for me. I really loved my PB12-Plus for LF content in movies in that small room.

Its really a sweet looking sub... Happy for ya bro... :)
Thanks Warpdrv! I dig being able to see the woofer work on this thing. It's the most excursion I've ever seen (I'm sure the F112 can move too).

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Nice sub...looks just like mine :p.

Great review...nothing really to add, but that coming from dual Plus subs to the Ultra, you gain a level of accuracy and real warmth in the upper bass region. Blending with the mains seems to be almost organic without too much calibration. Once you get flat it's at another level of musciality from previous SVS offerings (and they weren't bad). For HT, impacts and transients are much better defined and it's very difficult, at least for me to overdrive it (though some folks certainly have given this a try). Dual Pluses were awesome for HT, putting out an absolute wall of bass waves that shook the floor. The Ultra puts out similar SPL, but cuts right through the waves. Different, but not necessarily superior, it's a matter of taste.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai

Great review...nothing really to add, but that coming from dual Plus subs to the Ultra, you gain a level of accuracy and real warmth in the upper bass region. Blending with the mains seems to be almost organic without too much calibration. Once you get flat it's at another level of musciality from previous SVS offerings (and they weren't bad). For HT, impacts and transients are much better defined and it's very difficult, at least for me to overdrive it (though some folks certainly have given this a try). Dual Pluses were awesome for HT, putting out an absolute wall of bass waves that shook the floor. The Ultra puts out similar SPL, but cuts right through the waves. Different, but not necessarily superior, it's a matter of taste.

Hi Ron-

Thanks very much for the compliment. You know, I do find myself imagining what two of these beasts would sound and feel like. It's a disease....

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Hi Ron-

Thanks very much for the compliment. You know, I do find myself imagining what two of these beasts would sound and feel like. It's a disease....
You, unlike me, have the room for it. So if you've got the dough and a handle of Mrs. Croseiv, then go for it.

I am considering trying something larger later in the year. In fact, I'm commited. However, unless I'm totally blown away, I don't think it will stay with me. Someone in my area will get a deal.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
You, unlike me, have the room for it. So if you've got the dough and a handle of Mrs. Croseiv, then go for it.

I am considering trying something larger later in the year. In fact, I'm commited. However, unless I'm totally blown away, I don't think it will stay with me. Someone in my area will get a deal.
conquest? :D

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
I keep on meaning to pull the trigger on one myself....it's awesome! I would like to say something positive in regards to the Polk PSW650.....but it's simply not possible. Did the SVS physically eat it? You better call the police.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall

Cuts right through the waves? Please explain. :confused:

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

My PB13-Ultra is shipping today! Can't wait to get it!

Matt34

Matt34

Great review and pics croseiv!:D Love reading member mini-reviews like this.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Cuts right through the waves? Please explain. :confused:
Dual Pluses hit like a shockwave for HT. It was very addictive, you could palpably feel the pressure. The Ultra hits more like a boxer, sharper impacts, less bloom at the bottom and has a different sound quality for HT performance. I've had folks over that remember the dual setup. They are all very impressed by the U13 for music, equally impressed for HT, but not blown away in comparison (for HT). As I said, dual Pluses, Plus/2s and Ultra/2s HT performance is different, but not necessarily inferior.

dorokusai said:
I keep on meaning to pull the trigger on one myself....it's awesome!
Mark, did you sell your U/2 yet?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis